+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Portal 2021

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Transfer Portal 2021

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    I'm not impressed by him, but the above is not the way it happened.

He could have been 10-10, 250 yards, and 3 TDs and Holtz would have pulled him to put his other project in.

Just like the previous 3 years of the rockstar, our biggest problem at QB is our HC.
    It's exactly the way it happened. And make no mistake, he should have been pulled sooner in some of those games.....if we had an adequate replacement, which it turns out that we didn't.

Anthony averaged 164 yds passing per game over 9 games. Take away his 314 yd performance vs FCS school HBU, and that yardage per game average drops to 146 yds. For a team who's primary method of moving the football is the forward pass, that stat isn't going to cut it. He finished the season with an average QB rating of 45.6. That won't cut it either.

Regarding our HC, I think you already know I'm not a fan of his. So, I don't doubt that he's done anything but hurt Anthony's chances at developing at the QB position.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...0/luke-anthony

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Anthony averaged 164 yds passing per game over 9 games. For a team who's primary method of moving the football is the forward pass, that stat isn't going to cut it. He finished the season with an average QB rating of 45.6. That won't cut it either.

Regarding our HC, I think you already know I'm not a fan of his. So, I don't doubt that he's done anything but hurt Anthony's chances at developing at the QB position.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...0/luke-anthony
    I don't think Anthony will cut it at QB either, but PD is right. The QBs split time almost regardless of the game situation. That seems crazy. Remember when they put Allen in to try and save the game against UTSA? It worked out against UAB, but there seemed to be a script (I don't know...maybe two series each...or a certain number of snaps). If you've got two QBs, you've got none. Allen looked bad in the bowl game, but before that, he looked like the guy who should be getting the majority of snaps.

Let's all hope real hard that this kid from STM is the real deal.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Anthony averaged 164 yds passing per game over 9 games.
    Total stats are always going to suffer with you're splitting time. The QBR would be much more disturbing (since they don't have yards per attempt on there). On the other hand, his average QBR is really, really, really getting crushed by that UTEP game (is that the one we tried to play without offensive tackles?).

Without that game, average is 55. But it wasn't a steady 55. Was either low 40s or high 60s/low 70s for the most part (again, plus a 6.3 that is killing the average).

So I don't know. I'm not saying he is going to turn into Aaron Rogers or anything.

But splitting time absolutely would have hurt his total stats (and if you're a rhythm guy, would probably have hurt his average stats as well). No spring ball didn't do him any favors. Revolving door at tackle didn't do him any favors. The inconsistency of practicing and playing this year probably hurt him more than it might have hurt a returning starter.

He could play better in 2021. I wouldn't bet my house on it, but if we're going to evaluate a season we've got to include all the factors.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    I don't think Anthony will cut it at QB either, but PD is right. The QBs split time almost regardless of the game situation. That seems crazy. Remember when they put Allen in to try and save the game against UTSA? It worked out against UAB, but there seemed to be a script (I don't know...maybe two series each...or a certain number of snaps). If you've got two QBs, you've got none. Allen looked bad in the bowl game, but before that, he looked like the guy who should be getting the majority of snaps.

Let's all hope real hard that this kid from STM is the real deal.
    The bowl game was the chance to justify the philosophy. The whole idea (I think) was that you never know when you'll be down a QB and so both need lots of reps and lots of real game time experience so they'll be ready to go when needed (not sure how this isn't always the case, an injury can take your starting QB out of the next game just like COVID protocols can, and that's in fact what happened).

But when we got to the point of needing the "back-up" to be ready to go - let's just say it seemed like the experiment didn't necessarily pay off. He happened to catch a good D, known for getting turnovers, and was missing a lot of pieces. But if that was what we were going to get anyway, it seems like we could have got that performance out of a more traditional mop-up duty kind of 2nd stringer.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    I'm not impressed by him, but the above is not the way it happened.

He could have been 10-10, 250 yards, and 3 TDs and Holtz would have pulled him to put his other project in.

Just like the previous 3 years of the rockstar, our biggest problem at QB is our HC.
    This is my point. It’s like Holtz wanted to hide his ineptitude behind a 2 QB scheme and alternating every 2 series.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

2020 just needs to be in our rear view mirror in almost every situation imaginable. That is unless one got married, had a new baby or new grandchildren, knew or helped bring anyone to the Lord, experienced a miracle healing, had the blessing of staying healthy etc...

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    2020 just needs to be in our rear view mirror in almost every situation imaginable. That is unless one got married, had a new baby or new grandchildren, knew or helped bring anyone to the Lord, experienced a miracle healing, had the blessing of staying healthy etc...
    ....well, we certainly need to learn from it. I think Alabama taught us all that even during a "scamdemic", a school can focus on the tasks at hand, play 13 football games with no excuses and still win a championship. While everyone else was acting like drama queens, cancelling games, delaying season starts, postponing games, and even canceling entire seasons (see ODU), Alabama stayed focused, kept the COVID drama to a minimum, played every game every week like it meant something, never cancelled a game and won an NC.

Too many other schools --especially in CUSA-- were too busy trying to manipulate their scheduling and the system to their advantage.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

....well, we certainly need to learn from it. I think Alabama taught us all that even during a "scamdemic", a school can focus on the tasks at hand, play 13 football games with no excuses and still win a championship. While everyone else was acting like drama queens, cancelling games, delaying season starts, postponing games, and even canceling entire seasons (see ODU), Alabama stayed focused, kept the COVID drama to a minimum, played every game every week like it meant something, never cancelled a game and won an NC.

Too many other schools --especially in CUSA-- were too busy trying to manipulate their scheduling and the system to their advantage.
    100% correct imho

Every team in Conference USA combined wouldn't have the resources that Alabama has.

Not every team in FBS can lose their coach for a game and just throw another former HC in to run the game (or the talent to steamroll almost anyone you put in front of them). Not every team has a micro-managing genius armed with all the money and staff he wants to babysit every player.

I mean, "be like Alabama" is a great philosophy - but if it were that easy, we'd all be doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Every team in Conference USA combined wouldn't have the resources that Alabama has.

Not every team in FBS can lose their coach for a game and just throw another former HC in to run the game (or the talent to steamroll almost anyone you put in front of them). Not every team has a micro-managing genius armed with all the money and staff he wants to babysit every player.

I mean, "be like Alabama" is a great philosophy - but if it were that easy, we'd all be doing it.
    Well, I was hoping you wouldn't put me in this position, but now I've got to tell you that the Sunbelt schools did a hell of a lot better job of managing COVID than CUSA did. And they don't have a dime more money than the CUSA schools. It's not about money. And if that's what you think, you're wrong. It's about having the will to win, and focus on what's important. Nick Saban did that. And so did some of the Sunbelt and Independent G5 schools this fall.

A couple of months ago I posted the cancellation and postponement statistics for CUSA, the MAC, the AAC and the Sunbelt right here on BB&B (and no, I'm not going to look it up again). And in a shock to absolutely no one, CUSA was far and away the most drama ridden conference this past fall, cancelling and postposing and rescheduling more games than any other conference BY FAR! It wasn't even close.

While CUSA was busy cancelling some seasons (ODU), starting seasons late (Rice) and marred in all the rescheduling manipulation mess, ULL was whipping Iowa State, Coastal Carolina was beating Kansas and BYU, and football independent Liberty was busy defeating Syracuse and Virginia Tech in OOC games ON THE FIELD. All three of these schools won at least 10 games in a year that LA Tech couldn't manage to win more than 5.

So, it's not "be like Alabama".......rather, it's why can't you at least "be like ULL (played 11 games, and won 10 of 'em), or Coastal Carolina (played 12 games and won 11 of 'em), or Appalachian St (played 12 games, and won 9 of 'em), instead of just winning 5 games and going 4 or 5 weeks without playing a game at one point." All these schools played more games than Tech did.

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

Following Higgins’ last season Holtz has totally mismanaged Tech’s QB position even when he had Rattay here to do it right. I don’t care who the QB is because unless he has superior skills and a maturity beyond his years, Holtz is going to ruin him one way or another whether it’s through horrid play calling, offensive scheming limitations, just outright substandard position coaching or an inept 2 QB rotation system that is totally absent of any rhyme or reason. We all remember the times when Holtz rotated his QBs that singlehanded snuffed our Tech’s momentum. Holtz is the football coach version of a gremlin, let him touch something and he’ll break it.

Sunbelt/MAC maybe MWC/AAC is a better comparison for CUSA. But if that's what you meant, why didn't you say that?

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

The game is to fast for Anthony. Anytime he’s the least bit pressured, he freezes up and ends up taking a sack or making a really bad play. Allen may could be a QB under a different coach, but he has regressed terribly under Holtz. 2021 will be just as boring and vanilla as 2020 or worse UNLESS Holtz manages to land another All American transfer at QB like JD. Not likely to happen though.

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Sunbelt/MAC maybe MWC/AAC is a better comparison for CUSA. But if that's what you meant, why didn't you say that?
    I didn't think I had too. Everybody else has been paying attention, and they know I wasn't comparing us to Alabama. You know, you can learn stuff from the Nick Saban's and Alabama's of the world if you will listen. But, you were dismissive, attributing everything to just "having Alabama money." That was your built-in excuse. I literally had to show you that others do it without "Bama Money".

They didn't do what Alabama did.

It's not just about resources, but resources sure help.

+ Reply to Thread