+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Transfer Portal 2021

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Re: Transfer Portal 2021

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    You post like you've enjoyed his coaching style for over the last several years. How 'bout all those conference championships he recently "competed" for?
    No. That's very not much the point I'm making (or, well, frankly it's kind of making my point for me in a different way).

See, I'd put "no CUSA championships" in the bad bucket.

Just like I'd put "most NFL players from CUSA" in the good bucket.

If you want to use the later to help make the case that the former should have happened by now, feel free. That's fair.

The lack of a conference title in my opinion is the biggest problem with his tenure at this point. He needs that.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Most NFL players from CUSA has not helped us to what should be our goal. As a LaTech fan I don't care about what these guys do after leaving Tech unless they are cutting a fat check to LTAC. How long has it been since you've heard of that happening? That would be another failure by our HC. Yes, part of his job is also fund raising.

Now give me something meaningful he has done to actually grow our program over the past few years. It is dwindling away, not growing.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Most NFL players from CUSA has not helped us to what should be our goal. As a LaTech fan I don't care about what these guys do after leaving Tech unless they are cutting a fat check to LTAC. How long has it been since you've heard of that happening? That would be another failure by our HC. Yes, part of his job is also fund raising.

Now give me something meaningful he has done to actually grow our program over the past few years. It is dwindling away, not growing.
    I don't think there is anything I can say that would satisfy you. But my contention is that the wins still get counted as wins to his credit. Just like the losses. And if there aren't enough of them, or they aren't the "right" ones, that's fine - make that argument. But it undermines your point of "there haven't been enough wins" to pretend that there haven't been any wins.

I think the streak of winning seasons that ended this year was good for the program. I think the bowl streak that ended this year was good for the program. I think putting players in the NFL is good for the program.

Could someone else have done better in that time? Won more games? More titles? At the very least won as many games? Sure. That's possible. Probably even likely. But we have had a really good run of winning seasons (including 10 wins just a season ago). That doesn't have to be enough for you. But it did happen. And I think it's unfair to pretend otherwise, or turn every good thing to a bad thing. Of course 12 wins would be better than 10 wins. Of course, a conference title in 2019 would have been better than 10 wins with no title. Of course, we can always be better.

But 10 wins is not a losing season. It's not a disgrace. It's not a sign of the apocalypse. It's not an epic failure. It's not enough, and wasn't enough in that season. But it still happened.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Actually....the fact that LA Tech has had far more NFL talent than every other school in CUSA since 2103 --but still hasn't managed to win a CUSA championship-- speaks directly to the poor "on the field" game coaching of Skip Holtz. Even with the best talent, Skip still can't win a conference championship. That's a leadership flaw.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I don't think there is anything I can say that would satisfy you. But my contention is that the wins still get counted as wins to his credit. Just like the losses. And if there aren't enough of them, or they aren't the "right" ones, that's fine - make that argument. But it undermines your point of "there haven't been enough wins" to pretend that there haven't been any wins.

I think the streak of winning seasons that ended this year was good for the program. I think the bowl streak that ended this year was good for the program. I think putting players in the NFL is good for the program.

Could someone else have done better in that time? Won more games? More titles? At the very least won as many games? Sure. That's possible. Probably even likely. But we have had a really good run of winning seasons (including 10 wins just a season ago). That doesn't have to be enough for you. But it did happen. And I think it's unfair to pretend otherwise, or turn every good thing to a bad thing. Of course 12 wins would be better than 10 wins. Of course, a conference title in 2019 would have been better than 10 wins with no title. Of course, we can always be better.

But 10 wins is not a losing season. It's not a disgrace. It's not a sign of the apocalypse. It's not an epic failure. It's not enough, and wasn't enough in that season. But it still happened.
    ......It's also not what happened THIS year. LA Tech finished 5-5. We did NOT have 10 wins. If you want a school with 10 wins, look further south in the state, to Lafayette.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    ......It's also not what happened THIS year. LA Tech finished 5-5. We did NOT have 10 wins. If you want a school with 10 wins, look further south in the state, to Lafayette.
    At least we are head & shoulders better than ulm!

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    This infuriates me. Our decision makers seem fine with this. But aiming just above the curb means you still get sprayed with mud.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post

Too many Tech fans have this attitude. That’s why Tech is mediocre in everything they do. You should join the pay board. I’ve heard the kool aid is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    Too many Tech fans have this attitude. That’s why Tech is mediocre in everything they do. You should join the pay board. I’ve heard the kool aid is awesome.

That everything isn't terrible? That you can find plenty to criticize without ignoring positive things?

Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

I judge Skip based on the product he puts on the field. Is the product worth my entertainment dollar? Is it fun to watch? How does the entertainment value compare to the previous coach(es)?

This year was practically impossible to watch and I will not spend time and gas money to travel to Ruston or even Denton to watch this. Did not watch the bowl game past the first quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by DJDAWG View Post
    I judge Skip based on the product he puts on the field. Is the product worth my entertainment dollar? Is it fun to watch? How does the entertainment value compare to the previous coach(es)?

This year was practically impossible to watch and I will not spend time and gas money to travel to Ruston or even Denton to watch this. Did not watch the bowl game past the first quarter.
    I know EXACTLY how you feel. It was a terrible year. Many people forget that LA Tech was within an eyelash of losing two more games. We beat a "coachless" USM by one point on the last play of the opening game, and we defeated UAB when the referees game us a re-kick in triple OT, after missing the first one. If those two games go the other way, LA Tech finishes 3-7 --or 3-6, and no bowl-- not 5-5.

That's why I say this football program is on much shakier ground than many realize. IMO, with the exception of Bear Bryant, college football Head coaches have a shelf life. And IMO, Skip Holtzs' effectiveness at LA Tech has expired. We need an injection of energy and excitement more than perhaps any school in the country that really cares.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I know EXACTLY how you feel. It was a terrible year. Many people forget that LA Tech was within an eyelash of losing two more games. We beat a "coachless" USM by one point on the last play of the opening game, and we defeated UAB when the referees game us a re-kick in triple OT, after missing the first one. If those two games go the other way, LA Tech finishes 3-7 --or 3-6, and no bowl-- not 5-5.

That's why I say this football program is on much shakier ground than many realize. IMO, with the exception of Bear Bryant, college football Head coaches have a shelf life. And IMO, Skip Holtzs' effectiveness at LA Tech has expired. We need an injection of energy and excitement more than perhaps any school in the country that really cares.
    Now you did it, you qualified it by adding "that really cares." That's definitely not who we are.

Now you did it, you qualified it by adding "that really cares." That's definitely not who we are.
    Well, I purposely added "that really cares" because we all know there's the usual suspects out there --e.g., Vanderbilt, UCONN, UMASS, NMSU, UTEP, ULM, etc....-- that really don't care, and never really will. Some consider themselves "basketball" schools, and some are just uninterested in football. I don't think LA Tech belongs in either of those categories.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

So lets put the season and bowl winning streaks and the number of NFL players produced in the good bucket for Skip.

Then lets put the fact that our hardcore fan base is probably somewhere in the area of 5000 or less and many are regular posters on this board. Now lets add the fact I have never seen the level of interest in Tech football to be this low, I have never seen so many on here say they can't watch the product or deal with the decisions he makes any more.

The former positives currently seemed to outweighed by the latter negative. Which means its time for a change. Thank him for bringing some winning/stability to a program that in the last 30 years has been so up and down year to year, it was more like you were buying a ticket to six flags than a football program, and find someone who can pull us back out of the 2020 season and capitalize on the positives skip threw in the bucket that is the Louisiana Tech Football program, not Skip Holtz retirement program.

ULM will never cause us problems unless we lose to them on the field and that is just a pride issue, more than moving past us. If ULL on the other hand, ever gets their sh@t together athletically/academically, and they may be on the verge, we would be in trouble of being third banana in a state with enough people to barely have one.
    Last edited by DallasDog; 01-21-2021 at 03:12 PM.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

That’s literally all that matters in Ruston.

+ Reply to Thread