+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Portal 2021

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Transfer Portal 2021

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Powell wore #0 and was a big zero. Won't be missed. Unfortunately, Powell is representative of just how bare the cupboard is...thanks to Skippy.
    The kid was a walk-on who turned in a 100 plus catch career. As others have said, I wish him well.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bone_afide_Dawg View Post
    As for the QB dilemma this all goes back to Skippy Slippy Slope Holtz’s misshandling of the Rockstar.
    Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    yes
    You'll have to unpack this for me.

Smith was uneven for two years but I'm not sure we had better behind him (unless you mean Abraham, but wouldn't he be gone by now, too?). And then (after improving each year, which oddly keeps being forgotten in the "Skip never develops a QB" discussion) he was really good in his sr. year. Yeah, sure, the suspension was bad. But on the field he played well. Way past "serviceable."

Do you think we didn't recruit younger (good-enough) QBs because of Smith? Or that Allen should have played more last season? Or that Anthony was inconsistent because of last year's QB play? How is that connected?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Smith was our best for 3 years...that is the point.

His lack of leadership showed every game on the sidelines, but never the way it did in his final season when he could not step away from the weed for a few days knowing that he was going to be tested.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Smith was our best for 3 years...that is the point.

His lack of leadership showed every game on the sidelines, but never the way it did in his final season when he could not step away from the weed for a few days knowing that he was going to be tested.
    So the way that "the QB dilemma goes back to Skippy Slippy Slope Holtz’s misshandling of the Rockstar" is that he should have recruited a better QB than Smith (and another one for 2020/2021 and forward)?

I mean, that's certainly true to the point that every non Trevor Lawrence/Justin Fields team should have recruited a better QB I guess.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    So the way that "the QB dilemma goes back to Skippy Slippy Slope Holtz’s misshandling of the Rockstar" is that he should have recruited a better QB than Smith (and another one for 2020/2021 and forward)?

I mean, that's certainly true to the point that every non Trevor Lawrence/Justin Fields team should have recruited a better QB I guess.
    It didn't matter who he had on the sidelines. Smith was anointed by Skip early and was the rockstar. He didn't allow him to be coached up, he didn't allow him to run the ball, and finally, he didn't babysit him in his final year to make sure he was clean when he needed to be.

He didn't allow him to be coached up
    I mean - he improved, right?

That wasn't coaching?

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I mean - he improved, right?

That wasn't coaching?
    You thought he improved? He didn't.

2016 Louisiana Tech 7 30 43 69.7 412 2 1
    2017 Louisiana Tech 13 229 409 55.9 2,974 16 5
    2018 Louisiana Tech 13 264 461 57.2 3,160 15 10
    2019 Louisiana Tech 11 236 367 64.3 2,977 18 5

You thought he improved? He didn't.

2016 Louisiana Tech 7 30 43 69.7 412 2 1
    2017 Louisiana Tech 13 229 409 55.9 2,974 16 5
    2018 Louisiana Tech 13 264 461 57.2 3,160 15 10
    2019 Louisiana Tech 11 236 367 64.3 2,977 18 5
    ?

Are you thinking 2-16 was his best year based on completion percentage? I gotta think sample size is an issue here.

Or are you seeing 2017 as better than 2018 based on int ratio? How is 2019 not the best statistical year? The missing two games?

He was decent. Not even good. Zero leadership

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    The kid was a walk-on who turned in a 100 plus catch career. As others have said, I wish him well.
    I am with you for wishing him all the best. I am just not sure what he is looking for or what he expects.

In four years he caught 102 passes for 898 yards an 1 TD. Not bad, but with one year of eligibility left and being only 5'7", what options will he have available? Is he hoping to go to the lowest of lows in the Power 5? Are there any P5 schools looking for tiny WR with one year of playing time left? Maybe there are, but I wouldn't bet my future on it.

So that leaves G5, FCS and D2. So is he trying to move up to one of the better AAC or SBC teams? Again not sure they would be in the market for a player of his size, caliber and eligibility. So that leaves a lateral move in the G5 ranks or move down to FCS/D-2, either of those might be an option.

He is from the general Lafayette area, but ULL is loaded with WR's, as a matter of fact they already have a couple in the portal looking for a new team.

What I hope this doesn't mean is this kid still wants to play football, but five years of Skip has driven him to play that sixth year anywhere but Ruston. Or maybe he doesn't see an FBS QB on our roster. I hope someday we hear why he choose to leave.

Again I hope he finds what he is looking for. Just not sure what that is or if he will find something better than what he is leaving. Very puzzling when a guy who is getting playing time wants to leave without a clear path to something better.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    I am with you for wishing him all the best. I am just not sure what he is looking for or what he expects.

In four years he caught 102 passes for 898 yards an 1 TD. Not bad, but with one year of eligibility left and being only 5'7", what options will he have available? Is he hoping to go to the lowest of lows in the Power 5? Are there any P5 schools looking for tiny WR with one year of playing time left? Maybe there are, but I wouldn't bet my future on it.

So that leaves G5, FCS and D2. So is he trying to move up to one of the better AAC or SBC teams? Again not sure they would be in the market for a player of his size, caliber and eligibility. So that leaves a lateral move in the G5 ranks or move down to FCS/D-2, either of those might be an option.

He is from the general Lafayette area, but ULL is loaded with WR's, as a matter of fact they already have a couple in the portal looking for a new team.

What I hope this doesn't mean is this kid still wants to play football, but five years of Skip has driven him to play that sixth year anywhere but Ruston. Or maybe he doesn't see an FBS QB on our roster. I hope someday we hear why he choose to leave.

Again I hope he finds what he is looking for. Just not sure what that is or if he will find something better than what he is leaving. Very puzzling when a guy who is getting playing time wants to leave without a clear path to something better.
    Maybe he knows we don’t have a QB or an OL.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Tech adds former Vandy CB Elijah Hamilton https://vucommodores.com/roster/elijah-hamilton/

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    Tech adds former Vandy CB Elijah Hamilton https://vucommodores.com/roster/elijah-hamilton/
    Welcome to Tech. One of 6 DB’s leaving Vandy, 13 players overall leaving. Let’s hope he can play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    Welcome to Tech. One of 6 DB’s leaving Vandy, 13 players overall leaving. Let’s hope he can play.
    Vandy D generally good under Mason.

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    Maybe he knows we don’t have a QB or an OL.
    Plenty of quality Qb’s available...Current staff is terrible at evaluating talent.

+ Reply to Thread