+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe the best to ever play passes

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Maybe the best to ever play passes

Hamerin' Hank passes away. In my opinion still the home run king. Sorry to all the Bonds fans.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/bra...C2KRNX2KBKIEM/

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Re: Maybe the best to ever play passes

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    Hamerin' Hank passes away. In my opinion still the home run king. Sorry to all the Bonds fans.

That hurts - I grew up a Braves fan (after his time), but I always admired him.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    That hurts - I grew up a Braves fan (after his time), but I always admired him.
    Class individual, no showboating, hard to believe he only weighed 180 pounds. I caught the end of his career. Had one of his baseball cards.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

No batting gloves also -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Class individual, no showboating, hard to believe he only weighed 180 pounds. I caught the end of his career. Had one of his baseball cards.
    Forearms and wrist action. Nobody else has ever been able to do what he did.

Maybe the best ever? IDK, but I'd pick one of these...

Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, or Pete Rose.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

As a pure hitter I would add Tony Gwynn in with those guys even though he didn't have their power.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Roberto Clemente could flat out play.

Agreed about Tony Gwynn being a great hitter, as were Rod Carew and George Brett.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Roberto Clemente could flat out play.

Agreed about Tony Gwynn being a great hitter, as were Rod Carew and George Brett.
    Clemente might have been the most complete all around player ever -

Unfortunately he was lost to us before he reached his prime

The period from the late 60's through the entire 70's into the early 80's might have been the Golden Era talent wise for pure baseball talent - especially overall American talent (North and South)

This was before the NBA & NFL started siphoning off the best African American talent to their respective sports

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Barry Bonds isn't in the top 100!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Clemente might have been the most complete all around player ever -

Unfortunately he was lost to us before he reached his prime

The period from the late 60's through the entire 70's into the early 80's might have been the Golden Era talent wise for pure baseball talent - especially overall American talent (North and South)

This was before the NBA & NFL started siphoning off the best African American talent to their respective sports
    D

Clemente was 38 when he died...I think he was on the downhill side of prime.

Ted Williams lost almost five full seasons to military service when he was in his prime, and I've always wondered where he would have ended up if he'd played those five seasons.

Big Dog olddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK View Post
    D

Ted Williams lost almost five full seasons to military service when he was in his prime, and I've always wondered where he would have ended up if he'd played those five seasons.

Willie Mays lost almost two full seasons early in his career.

D

Clemente was 38 when he died...I think he was on the downhill side of prime.

For some reason I thought Clemente was 28 instead of 38...

You are correct about Teddy Ballgame - lost 3? to WWII and 2? to Korea - and he wasn't selling war bonds on his tours of duty, he was slinging lead and dropping TNT....

You are correct about Teddy Ballgame - lost 3? to WWII and 2? to Korea - and he wasn't selling war bonds on his tours of duty, he was slinging lead and dropping TNT....
    Clemente was still a helluva ball player.

Chuck Yeager's wingman in Korea. Yeager is to have said that Ted was one of the best pilots he ever flew with...but he said that about most of them!

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Clemente was still a helluva ball player.

Chuck Yeager's wingman in Korea. Yeager is to have said that Ted was one of the best pilots he ever flew with...but he said that about most of them!
    Clemente was 38 when he died. he also was a Marine Corps veteran

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Clemente made it to exactly 3000 hits (I have his last Topps baseball card), so I was a bit surprised by your first comment--was pretty sure he was getting older (though he did look young).

If Williams could have gotten those years back, I wonder if he could have eclipsed Ruth. He still wouldn't have been as dominant compared to his era, but he probably would have matched the big numbers (HR and RBI, for instance).

+ Reply to Thread