+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hank Aaron passed away

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Hank Aaron passed away

One of the very best to ever play the game has passed away. IMO he is still the home run king, sorry to all the Barry Bonds fans.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-aaron-dies-86

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Re: Hank Aaron passed away

I still see him as the home run king as well. The thing that amazed me the one time I met him at a baseball card convention was how nice he was compared to a lot of other players, that and 25 time all-star. I don't think you will have that many players even last 25 years anymore, much less a 25 time all-star.

Big Dog BullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the rough BullPupN'46's Avatar

Hank may be called "The Home Run King", but he does not top "The Babe" in my opinion. 20 game winner as a pitcher. How many more games did it take for Arron to play to break "The Babe's record?" Arron was a fantastic bb player, Just like Roger Marris breaking "The Mick's" record. He (Roger) hit behind Mantel in the line up. ( bit of history) being station at Quonset Point R.I. NAS, having to get night time flight hour, use to fly uo to Boston, orbit Fenway Park at about 1500 ft, crank in Boston radio station on Low Frequency radio and listen to the game I was watching. RS had a pitcher Tom Herring who was a Bull Dog pitcher
    49 & 50.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

A lot of the parks were bigger when Babe was hitting homers. He was the first person to hit one out of more than one park during his time officially. I do think the talent was deeper on the rosters, (better pitchers, deeper rotations etc.), and the athleticism was light years better when Hank played as well. Just like guys today are bigger, stronger, faster, than during Hank's time.

That is why its so hard to directly compare eras in sports. I know the modern era of baseball is technically consider 1900 until now, but there are very different periods of the game in that time.

I don't think DiMaggio's record of 56 will ever be broken. Cy Young's 511 wont be touched by a pitcher with the way the rotations are handled now. Warren Spahn and Maddux are the closest modern pitchers and they were both still 150-160 wins away.

I think pretty much everything else I can think of could be broken again at some point.

Big Dog BullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the rough BullPupN'46's Avatar

I liked the way the "Babe: worked out to keep in shape...... Another hot dog with a bottle of beer. About Joe's hitting streak, when Pete Rose streak was broken
    by basically an unknown pitcher, he was really pissed off. As I remember, Rose's remark was something like he acted like "he" was pitching in the world series
    That's when I lost all respect for Rose.

It was amazing what he could do hung over or maybe still a little drunk from the night before lol, least the train rides back then gave them more time to sober up than a flight does today.

Yeah Rose’s attitude has always been a turn off to me. I know he should in the Hall, but he is just so bitchy... but before they put Rose in they need to put in Shoeless Joe... he may have taken the money but he didn’t throw that series.

Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, Buck Weaver's suspension was the most unjust. Jackson was just the most popular.

+ Reply to Thread