+ Reply to Thread

Thread: #5 LaTech - Women's Bowling

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

#5 LaTech - Women's Bowling

https://latechsports.com/news/2021/2...uary-poll.aspx

The Louisiana Tech women's bowling team earned its highest ranking in program history as the Lady Techsters were ranked fifth in the National Tenpin Coaches Association February Poll.

Champ dawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the rough

Re: #5 LaTech - Women's Bowling

Quote Originally Posted by weunice View Post
    The Louisiana Tech women's bowling team earned its highest ranking in program history as the Lady Techsters were ranked fifth in the National Tenpin Coaches Association February Poll.
    That's awesome! I also found it interesting in the article that we're apparently hosting a tournament...in Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by latechsports.com
    The Lady Techsters will compete in just one event during the month of February at the Louisiana Tech-hosted Bulldog Classic in Dallas, Texas, from Friday, Feb. 12, to Sunday, Feb. 14.

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

This will be at least our third tournament hosted this year. We have stepped it up during these crazy COVID days to provide opportunities to compete not only for our program but many of the other top programs in the country. Looks like leadership to me.

Louisiana Tech has some top talent on the girls side. From someone who has followed college bowling for a while, #5 is pretty amazing. I knew we were improving. This is getting into an exciting tier with programs every youth bowler in the country who aspires to go to college knows about.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weunice View Post
    This will be at least our third tournament hosted this year. We have stepped it up during these crazy COVID days to provide opportunities to compete not only for our program but many of the other top programs in the country. Looks like leadership to me.

Louisiana Tech has some top talent on the girls side. From someone who has followed college bowling for a while, #5 is pretty amazing. I knew we were improving. This is getting into an exciting tier with programs every youth bowler in the country who aspires to go to college knows about.
    Who are the powerhouse programs in Bowling?

Besides us?

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Who are the powerhouse programs in Bowling?

Besides us?
    Wichita State and Nebraska have a long history going back decades on the NCAA side. Bowling is rather odd, in that small universities can be competitive with NCAA schools like Tech. Recent powers in those smaller schools include Webber International and McKendree. Regionally Vanderbilt has been a top program and Arkansas State, Stephen F. Austin and Sam Houston State have solid programs.

I find college bowling to be very confusing in its organization. In high school, there is LHSAA. I know what schools have teams and that is that. At the college level you have NCAA teams, NAIA teams and those championships are separate. At the end there is an intercollegiate championship that includes sectionals that roll into a real be-all end champion and it can include schools from both those other groups. Some of these smaller schools have dominated at this intercollegiate level. In fact there are club teams that go to the sectionals as well. LSU made it last season before COVID shut things down on the boys side and not a single one of those kids is on scholarship for bowling.

The real problem is that there is not a fixed way to compete with team bowling. Louisiana high school rules (I like our format FWIW) are different from other states are different from college rules and even the different types of tournaments. I'll be honest, if I get it all figured out I am going to write something up on it so that the average fan who is expecting the NCAA to be the gold standard in bowling because it is a college sport can understand that just isn't how it works.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Interesting.

I want Tech to be great at whatever we do, NCAA sport or not (Power-lifting used to be dominant, and didn't we have a bass fishing team at one time?).

But I guess it gets pretty quickly away from what we're used to when you get out of the more traditional sports. In the Big 12, equestrian is a big thing. I know a TCU scholarship equestrian. And I think they have rifle, too.

Pretty fun, probably much more in line with what college sports "should be" once you get away from the money.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting.

I want Tech to be great at whatever we do, NCAA sport or not (Power-lifting used to be dominant, and didn't we have a bass fishing team at one time?).
    This 100%.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I would think Bowling Green would be a powerhouse in this. Best in the MAC anyway.

I'm gonna be here all week...

But, seriously...bowling? Conjures up images of overweight, middle-aged folks, with a cigarette in one hand and a bowling ball in the other.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Interesting.

But I guess it gets pretty quickly away from what we're used to when you get out of the more traditional sports. In the Big 12, equestrian is a big thing. I know a TCU scholarship equestrian. And I think they have rifle, too.

Pretty fun, probably much more in line with what college sports "should be" once you get away from the money.
    NIRSA...the National Intramural and Recreational Sports Administration...was (still is?) the governing body of non-NCAA sports. For instance, club soccer was, when I played and coached, under the governing by NIRSA. Our Tech soccer club fell in the regional finals one year and missed the national finals, the Final Four of which was Ohio State, BYU, LSU, and Florida State. NIRSA would sanction 8 regional tournaments with each winner advancing to the national finals.

Yes, it was PURE sports. No scholarships, no big money, just the love of competition and fun!

There was an ACUI games tournament in Ruston when I was there. Think quiz bowl, billiards, spades. Bowling was part of it. We only had 2-3 teams show up for bowling. I have a silver medal from it somewhere. The real show was the billiards competition which had people from all over the region come in. There was a pretty large bracket boys and girls. I remember a girl from SMU having an incredible run at that tournament. After we were done, we took a look at the spades competition and immediately regretted not getting involved with that. There were some mad spades games played in the student center in the mid-90's in Ruston. The teams from other colleges were simply not in the same ballpark as what went on in the student center and in intramurals on campus.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    But, seriously...bowling? Conjures up images of overweight, middle-aged folks, with a cigarette in one hand and a bowling ball in the other.
    Competitive bowling suffers from the reality that bowling proprietors have to stay open by selling beer and hot dogs to patrons. When 67 million Americans participate in a sport at least once a year and over 90% of them consume beer or eat something terrible while doing it, it is hard for the competitive side of the sport to be taken seriously. Not only that, your average league bowler gets to bowl on lanes that have oil patterns designed to funnel the ball to the pocket resulting in high scores. This also is designed to result in repeat business.

Imagine if we all played basketball with 7 foot baskets, a walking requirement, a buffet at the center circle, no need to dribble, no defense allowed and hula hoop sized baskets. Most of us wouldn't get the point of basketball if that is what was presented to us. Sadly, that is just about how bowling is presented to people when viewed from the side where you have been competitive at it for a while. It sells but it's a high price.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I would think Bowling Green would be a powerhouse in this. Best in the MAC anyway.

I'm gonna be here all week...

You forgot the beer.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

A legend retires.

https://www.cbssports.com/general/news/bowler-pete-weber-calls-it-a-career-after-41-years-on-pba-tour/

+ Reply to Thread