+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Stock Market- Investing

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Stock Market- Investing

From a newsletter I subscribe to, supporting the notion of a bull market...

August 4, 2022Why The U.S. Stock Rally Looks More Like A New Bull Market Than A Bear Bounce To These Analysts

Broader is better when it comes to the stock market rally and some analysts see technical signs that gains may be signaling the end of the 2022 bear market, though it’s too early to say for sure.

“The risk that the recent advance is merely a bear market rally has not been eliminated. But…the technical improvement up to this point is more akin to a new cyclical bull market than a bear market rally,” said Ed Clissold and Thanh Nguyen of Ned Davis Research, in a Tuesday note.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    What dividend paying stock would you buy right now? I picked up some Walmart a few weeks back on the dip.
    I am doing two things: 1) cost-averaging down on all my holdings, buying on dips and 2) emphasizing dividend aristocrats & kings, such as JNJ, PG, BMY, etc...

My tactics now is to lean heavily toward capital preservation vs. appreciation. I am semi-retired, about to start drawing social security (next February), so I am more interested in conservative holdings more likely to not lose value while still offering some growth. I am still opening new positions as well when I think the stock/company warrants it. For instance, doing some DD on a small company AMKR. I am also going heavier into selling covered calls.

A few positions I have added to recently include JPM, PEP, VZ, O. But the market is generally up, even with some day to day pullbacks, so I haven't added a lot recently.

Of course, I am NOT a financial planner so take whatever I post with a grain of salt and always do your own DD. I just know what I am comfortable with, and the results speak for themselves. My portfolio is up, up, and away! Good luck!

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

For dividends, I normally stay with the ETFs to spread out the risk. I like SCHD and VYM for this purpose.

I have held stocks for dividends before where the dividend was either reduced or eliminated, which naturally caused the stock to plummet. Any due diligence I do is based on published reports (10K, balance sheet, income statement and statement of cash flow), which may or may not represent the true future outlook for the company. Plus, you have to trust that the CEO/CFO are competent and leading the company in a good direction while they are paid a fortune for just being there (usually not based on performance at all).

Of course, you may be better at picking individual stocks than I am.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Thanks for the discussion guys. I do believe we are at the bottom of this thing as far as the market goes. I recently picked up some shares of PHUN when it was around $1. If Trump announces he is running for another term, it will go through the roof. I’m hoping to hold it until November and see what happens. I love to pick up penny stocks here and there more for fun than as a real investment strategy. I’ll let y’all know how I do.

I have had very little luck with penny stocks...like PHUN. Have invested in probably about 15 such start-ups over the years with at least 12 of them losing money. Not much money, measured in $hundreds, but losers nonetheless. Good luck with this one. And what does Trump running again, which he will, have to do with this stock (company)? Reading some of the comments on Yahoo, posters are saying if Trump runs this stock will soar past $300. But I see no mention of Trump in the company's profile.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I have had very little luck with penny stocks...like PHUN. Have invested in probably about 15 such start-ups over the years with at least 12 of them losing money. Not much money, measured in $hundreds, but losers nonetheless. Good luck with this one. And what does Trump running again, which he will, have to do with this stock (company)? Reading some of the comments on Yahoo, posters are saying if Trump runs this stock will soar past $300. But I see no mention of Trump in the company's profile.
    Supposedly their mobile software was utilized with his re-election campaign. I’ve had the same luck in the past with low market stocks, but it’s fun to really research one and put a couple $100 in just for something to watch short term. It’s better than me giving a Benjamin to some leftist Hollywood actor at the movie theater.

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

I am doing two things: 1) cost-averaging down on all my holdings, buying on dips and 2) emphasizing dividend aristocrats & kings, such as JNJ, PG, BMY, etc...

My tactics now is to lean heavily toward capital preservation vs. appreciation. I am semi-retired, about to start drawing social security (next February), so I am more interested in conservative holdings more likely to not lose value while still offering some growth. I am still opening new positions as well when I think the stock/company warrants it. For instance, doing some DD on a small company AMKR. I am also going heavier into selling covered calls.

A few positions I have added to recently include JPM, PEP, VZ, O. But the market is generally up, even with some day to day pullbacks, so I haven't added a lot recently.

Of course, I am NOT a financial planner so take whatever I post with a grain of salt and always do your own DD. I just know what I am comfortable with, and the results speak for themselves. My portfolio is up, up, and away! Good luck!
    Are you still in KMI? That dividend is really compelling, and barring a catastrophic failure of one of their pipelines it seems like a safe bet.

Just their jet fuel deliveries alone should help their cause. Takes a lot of fuel to run those private jets the warming alarmists are use to fly around telling everyone to stop using fossil fuels.

Quote Originally Posted by DawgyNWindow View Post
    Are you still in KMI? That dividend is really compelling, and barring a catastrophic failure of one of their pipelines it seems like a safe bet.

Just their jet fuel deliveries alone should help their cause. Takes a lot of fuel to run those private jets the warming alarmists are use to fly around telling everyone to stop using fossil fuels.
    Yep! still holding KMI.

The bottom is in? If you trust history, then yes, we have hit the bear market bottom and a rally is imminent.

Dating back to 1950 ten times the market followed this same pattern...a drop, followed by a "bear market bounce" where the indexes recovered 50% of their lost value, followed by a bull market rally. So, will 2022 make it a perfect 11 for 11? If not, it'll break this winning streak. Of course, with that idiot Joe Biden and his merry band of commie bastards in charge, anything is possible. But most pundits think the bad news is already baked in and the market should rally.

For me, I have continued to nibble with small, targeted purchases to reduce some of my cost basis. But I have mostly been accumulating cash ready to jump in "big" when a rally comes. If history holds, then a rally should be coming soon.

Of course, this is not investing advice. Just throwing in a little historical perspective.

Holy Moly! the market didn't get the memo about the bull rally!

So much for history, Biden strikes again! That effing moron...and every idiot who actually voted for him...is destroying America. Yes, of course, the stock market rolls thru cycles, bull & bear markets, but this is unprecedented and along with all the other rotten economic news clearly points to blatant failure by this administration. Now, I have to mention, this is probably NOT a failure since it is the goal of the Bidenites to destroy America, and they are surely succeeding in that endeavor. But, if one were to give them the benefit of the doubt, then the best you can say is Biden is an abject total FAILURE! And has ascended to the top spot as the worst POTUS in history, making both Carter and obummer happy they are now just 2nd and 3rd worst all-time.

As for the market...where is the bottom? Doesn't appear to be one in sight as Biden has already busted all historic perspective in a bear market and is charting new territory.

Usually, even in a bear market, some sectors are contrarian and hold their own or even go green. And usually you can identify which "falling knife" you can catch. But we are now in a market of ALL falling knives, with no bottom in sight. The pundits on CNBC just said, "there are no alternatives." Just as I was typing the "falling knife" sentence the talking heads agreed with me. Spooky...

So much for history, Biden strikes again! That effing moron...and every idiot who actually voted for him...is destroying America. Yes, of course, the stock market rolls thru cycles, bull & bear markets, but this is unprecedented and along with all the other rotten economic news clearly points to blatant failure by this administration. Now, I have to mention, this is probably NOT a failure since it is the goal of the Bidenites to destroy America, and they are surely succeeding in that endeavor. But, if one were to give them the benefit of the doubt, then the best you can say is Biden is an abject total FAILURE! And has ascended to the top spot as the worst POTUS in history, making both Carter and obummer happy they are now just 2nd and 3rd worst all-time.

As for the market...where is the bottom? Doesn't appear to be one in sight as Biden has already busted all historic perspective in a bear market and is charting new territory.

Usually, even in a bear market, some sectors are contrarian and hold their own or even go green. And usually you can identify which "falling knife" you can catch. But we are now in a market of ALL falling knives, with no bottom in sight. The pundits on CNBC just said, "there are no alternatives." Just as I was typing the "falling knife" sentence the talking heads agreed with me. Spooky...
    I love the smell of 4% one year CDs and Treasuries. Smells like VICTORY.

Now the Biden idiots will tell you this is all the FED. But they'll also tell you that passing a trillion dollar stimulus package in an economy that was growing by 6+ percent (you remember, that was when Trump left office) and passing more trillion dollar bills since then plus raising taxes wouldn't have ANYTHING to do with it at all. Not to mention the war on fossil fuels that raised the cost of everything, like fertilizer and shipping costs.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

It is cute how you blame Biden for your poor investing.

Free money for too long by the Fed for so long causes structural issues in the markets…bubbles. If you are a capitalist, you would be thankful that there is now a cost of capital that is now putting a cost on risk.

Long USD, particularly borrowing foreign currency has been fantastic place to be. Buying bonds with negative real yields never made sense. Risk free coupon clipping at 4% or more is hardly something to complain about.

There are times to buy and times to sell in any market. Buying growing American companies at reasonable valuations is a gift horse.

Quote Originally Posted by DawgyNWindow View Post
    I love the smell of 4% one year CDs and Treasuries. Smells like VICTORY.

Now the Biden idiots will tell you this is all the FED. But they'll also tell you that passing a trillion dollar stimulus package in an economy that was growing by 6+ percent (you remember, that was when Trump left office) and passing more trillion dollar bills since then plus raising taxes wouldn't have ANYTHING to do with it at all. Not to mention the war on fossil fuels that raised the cost of everything, like fertilizer and shipping costs.
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    It is cute how you blame Biden for your poor investing.

Free money for too long by the Fed for so long causes structural issues in the markets…bubbles. If you are a capitalist, you would be thankful that there is now a cost of capital that is now putting a cost on risk.

Long USD, particularly borrowing foreign currency has been fantastic place to be. Buying bonds with negative real yields never made sense. Risk free coupon clipping at 4% or more is hardly something to complain about.

There are times to buy and times to sell in any market. Buying growing American companies at reasonable valuations is a gift horse.
    Moron alert!

+ Reply to Thread