+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: Stock Market- Investing

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

Re: Stock Market- Investing

I recently added MTN (Vail Resorts) to my list of favorite stocks. When someone asked me if I thought folks would be able to afford snow skiing vacations, I said people who have money, seem to have plenty of it, although people on the other side of that ever-widening gap seem to struggle more and more. So I’m betting the high-enders will spend. It’s the same principles that put GLPI (Gaming & Leisure Properties) on the list several months back and it’s been a solid dividend producer.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChipDog View Post
    I recently added MTN (Vail Resorts) to my list of favorite stocks. When someone asked me if I thought folks would be able to afford snow skiing vacations, I said people who have money, seem to have plenty of it, although people on the other side of that ever-widening gap seem to struggle more and more. So I’m betting the high-enders will spend. It’s the same principles that put GLPI (Gaming & Leisure Properties) on the list several months back and it’s been a solid dividend producer.
    Do you hold or have you at least looked at VICI? It's a REIT operating in the gaming and entertainment industries. It comes highly recommended by several stock investing gurus, but I have not bought any. Seems a bit risky to me. I suppose it's not that much more of a risk than other REITs.

MTN looks interesting but I don't like their high PE ratio. Maybe if the price comes down some. And GLPI also looks interesting.

These "sin" stocks as they are called can be feast or famine, although I have absolutely killed it with Altria (MO), it is one of my top 5 performing holdings.

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Do you hold or have you at least looked at VICI? It's a REIT operating in the gaming and entertainment industries. It comes highly recommended by several stock investing gurus, but I have not bought any. Seems a bit risky to me. I suppose it's not that much more of a risk than other REITs.

MTN looks interesting but I don't like their high PE ratio. Maybe if the price comes down some. And GLPI also looks interesting.

These "sin" stocks as they are called can be feast or famine, although I have absolutely killed it with Altria (MO), it is one of my top 5 performing holdings.
    I don’t have VICI it’s not currently on my list, but I’ll look and see how close it is to making the list.

My list is a list of what I consider to be the best dividend stocks, and my intent when I buy them is to never sell them. But if they get bumped off the list then I sell them and never look back. So the PE actually doesn’t carry much weight with me. The big factors have to do with the characteristics of the dividend they pay.

Altria is amazing. It’s currently #25 on “The List.” I’ve had it since way before the split up and have never sold a share (except in a bad covered call lesson). My dad smoked almost all his life since, starting when the Army gave them to all the soldiers in North Africa, until a few years before he passed away, and he told me the government would never allow and group to eke I ate them because the taxes the government(s) got all the way down the line were obscene. So I just kept buying during the big tobacco lawsuits.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I have only dabbled in selling covered calls, but so far I am batting 1.000. Want to try selling puts and see how that goes.

I am upside down on several REITs, but yes, I hold them for their dividends. Such "losses" are only on paper anyway. A couple of them have kind of gotten away a little, meaning the stock price has dropped 40% or so. But, I am diversified enough where no one stock represents a chunk of my portfolio. And, as my CPA tells me every tax season, I need some deductions to offset other income sources so sell some of those losers. Slowly I am closing the gaps on these upside-down holdings via DRIP and cost-averaging down. Meanwhile the monthly income is great!

I have only dabbled in selling covered calls, but so far I am batting 1.000. Want to try selling puts and see how that goes.

I am upside down on several REITs, but yes, I hold them for their dividends. Such "losses" are only on paper anyway. A couple of them have kind of gotten away a little, meaning the stock price has dropped 40% or so. But, I am diversified enough where no one stock represents a chunk of my portfolio. And, as my CPA tells me every tax season, I need some deductions to offset other income sources so sell some of those losers. Slowly I am closing the gaps on these upside-down holdings via DRIP and cost-averaging down. Meanwhile the monthly income is great!
    Careful on those options. They can be fun -- fun like the crap table is fun.
    Covered calls are safe, but if someone ever loses something they held for many years and worked their ROI up significantly, it can generate a lot of grief. At my age and holding many of these stocks for a lot of years, and them being held because they have a good record of raising their dividends each year, the ROI on many of them is not easily replaced.

Someone may be upside down, but they're never losing as long as that dividend is still coming in and still being raised. Then when a good correction/shake-up/downturn comes you realign and swap out some of those smaller ROIs for larger current yields and nurse that portfolio up. As long as every move i make increases the annual combined dividends of the overall portfolio, i know im moving ahead, and that constant realigning often balances out with gains and losses to ease the taxes.

Dang! time for church

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Need to resurrect this thread. 80, what have you been buying recently?

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    Need to resurrect this thread. 80, what have you been buying recently?
    Been mostly buying on dips to lower the cost basis of some of my holdings, such as O, for instance. Also opened some small positions in those high yield/high-risk covered call ETFs like TSLY and KLIP. Mostly, I am sitting on a ton of cash as I recently sold two more of my properties and have only invested some of it, in I Bonds and bank CDs. Keep hearing a stock market correction is coming, more than the relatively minor pullback we've seen recently. So, keeping my powder dry, for the time being. I am leaning toward buying more CDs. The short-term rates, like 3-6 months, are quite attractive at 5+%.

I am upside down on a few REITs and trying to decide whether to start dumping them for tax benefits or bite the bullet and dive even deeper lowering my CA to make them more palatable. REITs like AGNC, ORC, TWO, NLY have all tanked in recent years but appear to have found a bottom and also, they have not slashed the dividend in a year or so, So! maybe... in the meantime I am enjoying their substantial income, over 20% in ORC's case. My CPA is always after me to dump some of these "losers" for tax benefits.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Been mostly buying on dips to lower the cost basis of some of my holdings, such as O, for instance. Also opened some small positions in those high yield/high-risk covered call ETFs like TSLY and KLIP. Mostly, I am sitting on a ton of cash as I recently sold two more of my properties and have only invested some of it, in I Bonds and bank CDs. Keep hearing a stock market correction is coming, more than the relatively minor pullback we've seen recently. So, keeping my powder dry, for the time being. I am leaning toward buying more CDs. The short-term rates, like 3-6 months, are quite attractive at 5+%.

I am upside down on a few REITs and trying to decide whether to start dumping them for tax benefits or bite the bullet and dive even deeper lowering my CA to make them more palatable. REITs like AGNC, ORC, TWO, NLY have all tanked in recent years but appear to have found a bottom and also, they have not slashed the dividend in a year or so, So! maybe... in the meantime I am enjoying their substantial income, over 20% in ORC's case. My CPA is always after me to dump some of these "losers" for tax benefits.
    What are some dividend stocks you’re invested in? I’ve got some positions in Sasol and Kinder Morgan and have done pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    What are some dividend stocks you’re invested in? I’ve got some positions in Sasol and Kinder Morgan and have done pretty well.
    I have a rather large portfolio across four platforms, a total of 66 stocks/ETFs. As for stocks, I have: MO, T, VZ, JNJ, PG, GLW, K, BMY, GIS, WEN, ATO, COP, PSX, ... and others. I also hold KMI, but not Sasol.

This is what I posted on Yahoo's Finance Forum regarding the pending company spin-off at Kellogg. It was rejected by Yahoo because they say my post "violates community standards."

From a business operational standpoint, I don't see how the spin-off is going to be a good thing. They are creating more TOP HEAVY and redundant positions and thus higher operating costs. Another do-nothing over-paid board and officers just sucking equity out of the organization while contributing nothing. Companies merge to eliminate such redundancy, instead of two CEOs, COOs, CFOs etc...there is only one. Now Kellogg is creating extra costs, not just the higher-ups but a whole host of accountants, middle-managers, etc.. I don't see how this spin-off is good for the company and thus good for shareholders.

The last two weeks of September have historically been bear markets. So, if you have designs on opening a position or adding to a current one, the next two weeks should offer good buying opportunities.

The last two weeks of September have historically been bear markets. So, if you have designs on opening a position or adding to a current one, the next two weeks should offer good buying opportunities.
    True to form we're in the September swoon. Time for some bargain hunting!

True to form we're in the September swoon. Time for some bargain hunting!
    The swoon has continued into October. This is not just a normal bearish market, this has a lot to do with Bidenomics and his awful, lousy, absent! so-called leadership. I kept telling myself the glass is half full, but it is clearly half empty and getting emptier! The market has not found a bottom yet. Keep your powder dry and wait.

I did nibble a little the past couple of weeks, lowering my cost basis on some stocks/ETFs I plan to hold long term. So, I'm okay with doing that. But, now, I am going to accumulate more cash and watch.

If a democrat wins the WH in 24, you’ll know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the whole process is completely rigged. Biden’s presidency has been an absolute disaster on all fronts. Even Goosey has bailed on him.

+ Reply to Thread