+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How Many Wins Are Acceptable to You?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: How Many Wins Are Acceptable to You?

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Odds are they surprise someone. And typically you'd expect that at home.

But there is just very little precedent for a team missing a whole year of games. UAB missed two, but didn't have a new coach and had a decent season (6-6 maybe) the year before they shut down. ODU went 1-11 (FCS win I think) and then fired the coach and the new guy hasn't coached a game there yet. They got some transfers (like everyone else) but it seems like you'd have to put them at the very bottom of the conference predictions.

Who knows though, even with the help from the NCAA I didn't think UAB would come back like they did (not just back to normal but way, way, way better than before their intermission). So who knows?
    ....and UAB beat us when they came back. Three straight years.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

There’s no way we win 6 games this year unless the QB play has GREATLY improved. If ever there was a year to go out and get a transfer, this was the year. With some luck, I see us winning 5. No matter the wins or losses, there is no will in Ruston to get rid of Skip Holtz.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    ....and UAB beat us when they came back. Three straight years.
    Fair enough.

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

I have a feeling a QB will step up and surprise us this year. Holstein or Head would be ideal. Allen pretty nice as a backup/situational zone read guy with his experience. The QB room has to know someone has to step up. Someone will.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dixonfor6 View Post
    I have a feeling a QB will step up and surprise us this year. Holstein or Head would be ideal. Allen pretty nice as a backup/situational zone read guy with his experience. The QB room has to know someone has to step up. Someone will.
    I don't know if Holtz would ever put another QB in above the 2 we had splitting time last year. I may be wrong, but they seem to be "pre-ordained". My great hope is that one or both has greatly improved. If someone else starts, I would be shocked. I am good with being wrong, though. Otherwise, we need one of those two to step it up BIG TIME to have a surprise great season.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Last year, and especially in the NO Bowl, Holtz completely threw away what he had built. His ONLY claim of success, for FWIW, was winning bowls and having 8-win seasons. All of that was tossed into the trash bin last year. 38-3 to a Belcher? R U kidding me!? He is back to 2013 status, as far as I am concerned. Back at square one. Has to prove himself, all over again.

You know for years some of us have been giving Holtz credit where due, but asking, "is there nothing more?" The other side, the kool-aid drinkers, were warning us that ridding ourselves of Holtz could result in something worse. Something worse? Oh, you mean like getting embarrassed 38-3 by a Belcher, that kind of worse?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I don't know if Holtz would ever put another QB in above the 2 we had splitting time last year. I may be wrong, but they seem to be "pre-ordained". My great hope is that one or both has greatly improved. If someone else starts, I would be shocked. I am good with being wrong, though. Otherwise, we need one of those two to step it up BIG TIME to have a surprise great season.
    Like I said in post #53:

"Skip Holtz will have to coach the BEST SEASON OF HIS LIFE, just to win 5 games this season."

And 5 wins is certainly not enough wins for me. Holtz got away with it last year because of the short season due to COVID. But, the days of "mailing it in" like he did in the NO Bowl 2020 are over. This year better be good, or I'll be firmly moving to the camp that says blow it all up, and start over, if I don't see good results. The LA Tech job is a damn good one, and it deserves a FULL TIME head coach with ENERGY, and a WILL to win. Honestly, Holtz appeared to be more interested in losing weight last year than winning football games. It's his 9th season. It's time for him to put up, or just go away.

+ Reply to Thread