+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kid friendly Fort Worth restaurants

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Kid friendly Fort Worth restaurants

We’re taking the kids out west for a few weeks and are spending our first night in Fort Worth. I want to take the family to a local spot that will really give them a new experience.

We’re staying on the west side of town, but won’t be in a rush, so we can eat anywhere.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Re: Kid friendly Fort Worth restaurants

A new experience like calf fries?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    A new experience like calf fries?
    We still got a long drive after FW…don’t wanna have to clean out the car!

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    We’re taking the kids out west for a few weeks and are spending our first night in Fort Worth. I want to take the family to a local spot that will really give them a new experience.

We’re staying on the west side of town, but won’t be in a rush, so we can eat anywhere.

Thanks for any recommendations!
    Oh man.

I'm going to have to come back to this. That thread before the bowl game out here has a ton of links.

I don't know about "a new experience" but we have some places we can recommend.

Was sort of thinking legit Texas roadhouse type thing.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Well, depending on how long you're in town, there is all of this: http://www.latechbbb.com/forum/showt...rt-Worth-stuff

If you're going to be on the west side of town and just want a chill but halfway different than you could get in Shreveport dinner - Central Market might be the call. They usually have live music in the summer, you can eat inside or out, lots of choices, you could stock up on snacks for the rest of the trip, etc.

If you really want the Steakhouse experience (not something I really have much experience with, certainly not taking the kids) - I'd find something in the Stockyards or Sundance Square (assuming you have chains like SaltGrass in Shreveport).

Maybe Cattleman's in the Stockyards or Bob's or Del Frisco maybe downtown. Bonnell's is sort of off I-20 on the west part of town. That might be unique (I've never been myself). This place might be interesting, chef kind of local celeb.

Brazilian style steakhouse might be an experience for the fam. Not something I'd want to do before a road trip myself.

I really don't have much first hand knowledge to recommend among these, I know them mostly by reputation. I don't think it would be worth taking my kids to any of these, but if it's the kind of thing yours would like - these are some good places to start.

Knowing what I know about Fort Worth, like I said, for my family it'd be Central Market and then maybe Curly's for dessert (assuming we didn't do dessert at CM).

For just good places to eat that aren't necessarily a "Texas experience" but just good places to eat - we love La Playa Maya and Wabi House.

Joe T. Garcia's is the standard "if you have visitors from out of town" go-to (but you have to have cash). Arguably the best known place in Fort Worth. Heim possibly the best known newish place. Those are the two you'd see on any "must visit" lists in like a Texas Monthly or something. Reata has a neat roof-top patio.

Non-chain burgers (well, non-national-chain) - Kincaid's, Dutch's, Rodeo Goat. Probably in that order for me, but all are pretty different experiences. Kincaid's is the old school (especially if you go to original location). Dutch's is TCU's version of the Dawghouse (summer is a great time to go, no students means way less crowded). Rodeo Goat is the hipster choice.

If pizza is what you want, you can go upscale at Cane Rosso, very laid back at Mama's Pizza, or kind of in between at Mellow Mushroom (but a chain).

Maybe I should run for Chamber of Commerce?

I get carried away about this stuff. Let me know if you have questions.

Thanks Austin! I think the plan for now is to go to the stockyards and maybe check out the John Wayne museum. We'll probably grab something down there for a late lunch, then let the kids swim at the hotel. I wish we had more time, but we've got to make it to Albuquerque the next day, so it'll probably be an early evening.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Thanks Austin! I think the plan for now is to go to the stockyards and maybe check out the John Wayne museum. We'll probably grab something down there for a late lunch, then let the kids swim at the hotel. I wish we had more time, but we've got to make it to Albuquerque the next day, so it'll probably be an early evening.
    Joe T's is right there. The patio is pretty nice.

With my kids in tow, I think Risky's would be the stockyards pick.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

my son lives in Fort Worth. I am taking notes…

Well? Where did you end up eating? Did y'all like the stockyards?

Well, we didn’t get off as early as we hoped. Never made it to the Stockyards. On the drive, we listened to a travel podcast where Phil Taylor was the guest. We ended up eating at Mi Cocina. It was fine. We ended up letting the kids swim at the hotel the rest of the day.

+ Reply to Thread