+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sherry out as Soccer Coach

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Sherry out as Soccer Coach

Didn’t see this anywhere else. Tech had a short release thanking him for his service the other day. He posted on social media, he was let go, that he didn’t resign and he was not given any reason for his dismissal. I don’t have a problem moving on from a coach, although I think he did a good job stabilizing the program and growing it, on and off the field. His and the teams presence in the local soccer community was a positive as well.

I would like to know the schools reasoning though, Not enough success, weak scheduling etc. those of you that understand the soccer landscape in the U.S. know early on he was not going to be able to make a dent in the DFW, Chicago recruiting areas. For the attention paid to the program I think overall he did a respectable job.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Sherry out as Soccer Coach

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    Didn’t see this anywhere else. Tech had a short release thanking him for his service the other day. He posted on social media, he was let go, that he didn’t resign and he was not given any reason for his dismissal. I don’t have a problem moving on from a coach, although I think he did a good job stabilizing the program and growing it, on and off the field. His and the teams presence in the local soccer community was a positive as well.

I would like to know the schools reasoning though, Not enough success, weak scheduling etc. those of you that understand the soccer landscape in the U.S. know early on he was not going to be able to make a dent in the DFW, Chicago recruiting areas. For the attention paid to the program I think overall he did a respectable job.
    Does this mean we have an A.D. that demands excellence???? I have nothing against Sherry, but the on field performance was missing. I hope we have an A.D. that will demand this across all our athletics - including football!

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

I think Sherry is good. He did well and helped stabilize the program through a lot. He deserves some recognition. But similar to Holtz, he didn't seem to produce anything spectacular or show improvement. I don't think he's ever won the conference has he? I think it's good to try and find someone new, especially with the new facility. That should be great for recruiting.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

He spent 14 years here. That is a long time for a coach to stay put in one place these days. I'm very appreciative of his lengthy service. We are entering a new era of Techster soccer. It's time to be at the top of this league with our new facilities. Hope to see this program grow into a power house. Lane Borroughs set the bar, every sport need to be competing at that level.

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Calling D80!....calling D80!

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Welcome to Division 1 athletics. This is good news, it means the honeymoon period is over with our new AD.

Baseball team makes regional finals = contract extension for the coach.

Soccer team finishes tied for last in conference = coach gets fired.

That's the way su
    ccessful college athletics programs operate. These recent moves indicate hope for a better future.

As far as no excuse given for being dismissed, it is obvious. Horrible results.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    It's time to be at the top of this league with our new facilities. Hope to see this program grow into a power house. Lane Borroughs set the bar, every sport need to be competing at that level.
    To expect and accept mediocre or worse results will not fly anymore here. I agree with your take 100%!!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Tech soccer had winning records recently. In 2019 the last uninterrupted season (China virus), we went 13-2-5 with a first round exit from the conference tourney, lost on PKs to FAU. Nothing spectacular, but solid results. Very competitive with all the top teams in the league. This past season we went 9-0-7. That's 9 wins, 0 ties, 7 losses. Had only 2 seniors on the entire roster, and a host of freshmen. Three players from Louisiana, 4 from Texas and the rest national and international recruits.

Haven't seen them play in several years, so can't comment on the quality of the coaching.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

I don’t have a problem moving on from Sherry, but if we are going to say generally having winning records, making the conference tournament fairly regularly, but not making any big waves is grounds for dismissal then there are several coaches on campus that depending on their coming season should be gone barring a big jump.

Women’s basketball should definitely be on the clock for one.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Does this mean we have an A.D. that demands excellence???? I have nothing against Sherry, but the on field performance was missing. I hope we have an A.D. that will demand this across all our athletics - including football!
    So, the middle of June may be an interesting time for handing out 2-weeks notices for July 1 annually in this athletics administration.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

For any "non-revenue" sport, such as women's soccer, the main goals...no, not merely goals, but must-hit targets, should be:

Great student-athletes - high GPA's and graduations
    Community involvement - ambassadors for the university (involved with local youth leagues, and community projects), GOOD citizens
    University involvement - presence/support for other teams on campus
    Success on the field (court) - winning records and occasional serious contender for conference championships/post season

Anything beyond these should be considered lagniappe.

Sherry checked those boxes for the most part they had a couple of conference tourney wins in recent years. My biggest issue was scheduling. I always felt our early season schedules were a little weak and maybe didn’t harden the team as much as needed. That is also a function of budget so it’s hard to knock too much.

Again, as long as the AD is ready to cut ties with other coaches in larger sports if their upcoming seasons are failures, I have no problem with this. If not I will have a bigger issue.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

What’s interesting about the press release is we are going with an interim in 2021, and doing a search after the season.

I noticed that too. We hired Sherry in the late spring when we hired him. I wonder if this is to give the interim coach his shot to claim the job.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

So the "intern-tryout" style has moved to the coaching level? Started with softball.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

+ Reply to Thread