+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Better Late Than Never: Tech's Turner Finally Called to the Hall

I'm just a bot - I can't respond to your posts News_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the rough News_Bot's Avatar

Better Late Than Never: Tech's Turner Finally Called to the Hall

A new article has been posted on www.latechsports.com:

"Miss Hogg, we're going to win the national championship."

More...

Discuss it here.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Better Late Than Never: Tech's Turner Finally Called to the Hall

Great Article! I loved watching Angela Turner!!!!!!!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

I'm really glad to see this happen. Angela Turner was the QB of perhaps the greatest women's basketball team(s) of all time. She is very deserving. Why has this taken so long?

The fact that the Lady Techsters only have 3 (now 4) players in the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame is ABSURD! The people that run the Louisiana HOF need to get on their horse and get some more former Lady Techsters invited as well. These are performances the state of Louisiana may never see again. I can't believe some of these women aren't worthy of Hall of Fame Recognition:

Erica Westbrooks - Final Four MVP for 1988 NCAA National Championship team
    Angela Lawson - Made the game winning bucket in that NC game
    Teresa Weatherspoon - Wade Trophy Winner & Kodak All American on 1988 NCAA National Championship team
    Pam Gant - Kodak All-American in 1986
    Tori Harrison - State of Louisiana MVP, played on 1987 National Runner Up team
    Shelia Ethridge - Averaged 25.2 ppg for the entire 1991 season, still a school record
    Shantel Hardison - Averaged 18 ppg in 1992. SBC MVP, Kodak All American
    Vickie Johnson - Kodak All American, USBWA All American & Basketball Times All American 1995
    Debra Williams - Kodak All American, 2nd Team AP All American & Basketball Times All American, 1996
    Amanda Wilson - Kodak All American, SBC MVP and State of Louisiana MVP 1999
    Tamicha Jackson - Kodak All American, SBC Defensive Player of the Year. Year 2000
    Cheryl Ford - Two-Time WAC Player of the Year, 2003 and 2004
    Amisha Carter - WAC Player of the Year, WAC Tournament MVP, 2004
    Tasha Williams - WAC Player of the Year 2005

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I'm really glad to see this happen. Angela Turner was the QB of perhaps the greatest women's basketball team(s) of all time. She is very deserving. Why has this taken so long?

The fact that the Lady Techsters only have 3 (now 4) players in the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame is ABSURD! The people that run the Louisiana HOF need to get on their horse and get some more former Lady Techsters invited as well. These are performances the state of Louisiana may never see again. I can't believe some of these women aren't worthy of Hall of Fame Recognition:

Teresa Weatherspoon - Wade Trophy Winner & Kodak All American on 1988 NCAA National Championship team
    Shelia Ethridge - Averaged 25.2 ppg for the entire 1991 season, still a school record
    Vickie Johnson - Kodak All American, USBWA All American & Basketball Times All American 1995
    Debra Williams - Kodak All American, 2nd Team AP All American & Basketball Times All American, 1996
    Tamicha Jackson - Kodak All American, SBC Defensive Player of the Year. Year 2000
    That's unbelievable. Vickie Johnson is a WBNA coach and Weatherspoon is at least in the conversation to become the first woman NBA coach (extremely unlikely imo but at least its in the air).

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

The LOH is a heavily NSU-controlled, LSU-centric operation. They are not going to do Tech any favors. That said, to be fair, the LOH tries to spread the wealth each year by being diverse in its inductions. So, usually many sports are represented, male/female selections are about even, age/eras are considered, as is the source, the tie, of the inductees. So, in a typical year you might see one person who did their thing at a state school, someone with a high school lean, a couple of pros and when you factor in the number of sports, male/female, it is virtually impossible for one school, in one sport, in one sex i.e. Tech women's basketball, to be considered except maybe once every 10 years or so.

I would think the next Techster to be inducted would be Spoon. She'd be my choice to go in next.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    The LOH is a heavily NSU-controlled, LSU-centric operation. They are not going to do Tech any favors. That said, to be fair, the LOH tries to spread the wealth each year by being diverse in its inductions. So, usually many sports are represented, male/female selections are about even, age/eras are considered, as is the source, the tie, of the inductees. So, in a typical year you might see one person who did their thing at a state school, someone with a high school lean, a couple of pros and when you factor in the number of sports, male/female, it is virtually impossible for one school, in one sport, in one sex i.e. Tech women's basketball, to be considered except maybe once every 10 years or so.

I would think the next Techster to be inducted would be Spoon. She'd be my choice to go in next.
    The LSHOF is NSU-controlled (cuz it's in Natchitoches) LSU-centric (cuz LSU is the flagship).

You, however, did not mention the La. Sportswriters Association (LSWA) who determines the inductees. They do have a ton of choices to choose from, but just look at the current membership. Pretty solid. Pretty diversified.

I'll be there Saturday.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Doesn't Lincoln parish have the most members of the LSHOF? Tech, Grambling & Ruston?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    The LSHOF is NSU-controlled (cuz it's in Natchitoches) LSU-centric (cuz LSU is the flagship).

You, however, did not mention the La. Sportswriters Association (LSWA) who determines the inductees. They do have a ton of choices to choose from, but just look at the current membership. Pretty solid. Pretty diversified.

I'll be there Saturday.
    Then please do us all a favor: Tell those "diversified" and "pretty solid" members to do a BETTER job of recognizing Lady Techster players from the 80's and 90's. Can you imagine a Hall of Fame membership in Connecticut not recognizing some of the great Lady Husky players who've come through that program in recent years? Or, the same in Tennessee? Yet, here we sit in 2021, with the supposed "diversified" and "pretty solid" membership having only recognized 4 Lady Techster players from that era. I think it's fair to say this "membership" is lazy, and is ignoring some of the best college basketball players to ever play the women's game. LA Tech should have at least twice as many players in the HOF as we currently do, and maybe more. Hopefully the "membership" isn't going to wait until everybody dies before finally recognizing some of these worthy female players.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Debra Williams is one of only a few WBB players that I thought it was going in every time she launched one from behind the arc. I know she didn’t make them all, but she made some big ones!

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Then please do us all a favor: Tell those "diversified" and "pretty solid" members to do a BETTER job of recognizing Lady Techster players from the 80's and 90's. Can you imagine a Hall of Fame membership in Connecticut not recognizing some of the great Lady Husky players who've come through that program in recent years? Or, the same in Tennessee? Yet, here we sit in 2021, with the supposed "diversified" and "pretty solid" membership having only recognized 4 Lady Techster players from that era. I think it's fair to say this "membership" is lazy, and is ignoring some of the best college basketball players to ever play the women's game. LA Tech should have at least twice as many players in the HOF as we currently do, and maybe more. Hopefully the "membership" isn't going to wait until everybody dies before finally recognizing some of these worthy female players.
    Until I'm in there it won't be complete. Is that what you're trying to say?
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

AMEN to each one of those. We are, actually, punished by having so much talent during those years. You have to go by merit, not by spreading it around. The best need to be recognized and we had much more than any other school in WBB (nationally, as well as state). I remember one year having a team that was so deep that our bench could have won a NC.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Lyn Rollins said AT is the 8th "Lady Techster" inducted into the LHoF. I'm sure that includes Barmore and Hogg, so 6 players now.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Lyn Rollins said AT is the 8th "Lady Techster" inducted into the LHoF. I'm sure that includes Barmore and Hogg, so 6 players now.
    Did you read the article? According to THIS article above, Lyn Rollins is wrong. Here's a direct quote:

"Turner Johnson joins Hogg, then-associate head coach Leon Barmore and teammates Pam Kelly, Kim Mulkey and Janice Lawrence-Braxton in the state's shrine to its top athletes, located in Natchitoches."

Furthermore, there's a short bio on each of these players (and coaches) further down in the article. The Lady Techsters have 6 people TOTAL --including 4 players and 2 coaches-- represented in this Louisiana Hall of Fame, now that AT is being enshrined.

It's absurd for a program that has won 3 national championships, and participated in 13 FINAL FOURS to only have 4 players represented in the Louisiana Hall of Fame. Shame on the
    "diversified" and "pretty solid" (according to DawgPix) members of this "Hall of Fame" committee that is responsible for this.

+ Reply to Thread