+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: NIL question

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: NIL question

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken View Post
    They may need to change the commercials about getting an education because everyone will not go pro. Now you can do something to endear yourself and get an NIL and have all the money you will need to live on after college without playing a pro sport- or getting an education for that matter. This is all so out of hand! It will get where it isn't even fun to watch if the rich keep getting richer and the smaller schools have no way to compete.
    You say that because we're a smaller school and have no money or brains and getting less of both every day

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

At this point we are like a third world country trying to move up to first world status, in todays world (real or collegiate) this is almost impossible to do for a variety of reason. It in theory can be done over a 25-30 year span if the right decisions are consistently made and you can come to dominate a particular industry long enough. It helps to have a monopoly or close to it on a needed resource as to keep the first world from playing you against others selling the same commodities.

We have consistently taken a step forward then, blown a foot off with a landmine of our own placement usually. Plus we don't have any commodities (athletically) to barter with that our direct competition doesn't have. The P5 can play us financially off other G5 schools and academically our endowment is so low that even when we are academically ahead, we can't/don't capitalize off of it.

I don't have the answers, but the one thing I am sure of is that continuing to conduct business the we have won't get it done at all. The first step though is funds and that means changing the way we work and going after every dollar from every person we can shake one free from. Doesn't matter if its alumni, businesses, or a guy at the corner bus stop. Identify something we have that they can benefit from, get it in front of them, and when they bite say thank you and truly appreciate them. That means having a detailed and completely open and public plan of how these funds are going to be used and then showing progress on each goal. DO NOT Be vague or dismissive of donors or where their hard earned dollar is going. This also means NEW funds not just shaking the same group down over and over.

This taking money only for the general fund or this particular project is Bullshit!!!

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    At this point we are like a third world country trying to move up to first world status, in todays world (real or collegiate) this is almost impossible to do for a variety of reason. It in theory can be done over a 25-30 year span if the right decisions are consistently made and you can come to dominate a particular industry long enough. It helps to have a monopoly or close to it on a needed resource as to keep the first world from playing you against others selling the same commodities.

We have consistently taken a step forward then, blown a foot off with a landmine of our own placement usually. Plus we don't have any commodities (athletically) to barter with that our direct competition doesn't have. The P5 can play us financially off other G5 schools and academically our endowment is so low that even when we are academically ahead, we can't/don't capitalize off of it.

I don't have the answers, but the one thing I am sure of is that continuing to conduct business the we have won't get it done at all. The first step though is funds and that means changing the way we work and going after every dollar from every person we can shake one free from. Doesn't matter if its alumni, businesses, or a guy at the corner bus stop. Identify something we have that they can benefit from, get it in front of them, and when they bite say thank you and truly appreciate them. That means having a detailed and completely open and public plan of how these funds are going to be used and then showing progress on each goal. DO NOT Be vague or dismissive of donors or where their hard earned dollar is going. This also means NEW funds not just shaking the same group down over and over.

This taking money only for the general fund or this particular project is Bullshit!!!
    My big fear is that the ship has sailed. We had 40 years to place ourselves in a good spot and through a combo of bad luck, incompetence, and malice have ended up on the wrong side of the Ark.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

It’s possible, but with Emmert stepping down by next summer, I think there is one more shuffle when the P5 make their move. They will be their own show with around 60 teams. The ship has sailed on us for that show probably, but I am curious what the rest will do. No matter what if we aren’t the top of that heap then we should just shut it down.

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    It’s possible, but with Emmert stepping down by next summer, I think there is one more shuffle when the P5 make their move. They will be their own show with around 60 teams. The ship has sailed on us for that show probably, but I am curious what the rest will do. No matter what if we aren’t the top of that heap then we should just shut it down.
    I agree that being in the bottom pile isn't worth shutting down over if we're near the top (after all, even some NAIA schools have teams), but I have to imagine the best thing to do would be to scale back dramatically even in that case. It's just not worth the investment because there is no significant return on marketability.

Of course, I don't know that it's possible to scale back our budget at all. I guess we could sell the metal bleachers for scrap.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Correct me if I misheard, but I think Louisiana will now allow high schoolers to make money off their NIL.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Correct me if I misheard, but I think Louisiana will now allow high schoolers to make money off their NIL.
    Nil chance that LHSAA’s NIL stance wasn’t rushed | Shreveport-Bossier Journal (shreveportbossierjournal.com)

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Look at this. Boy the NCAA sure crapped the bed when it came to NIL. Stupid, arrogant thinking will get you most every time. They should have gotten out front of this with leadership, setting some guidelines. Once they gave up control for someone else to set the narrative, it was over.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...tion-increased

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t know what the answer is, but all of this is completely going sideways. College is not about an education. A degree no longer means anything outside of the fact that you have to have a piece of paper in order to get a job in many fields. Nearly every job I have held was on the job training and college literally didn’t help me other than being able to show them that paper. Some disciplines at college teach you what you need to be able to go into a field, and those are typically disciplines that a student is in school primarily for that and athletics is secondary if part of the picture. Should college be made more difficult where only those who are truly dedicated to earning a degree will consider it? Should all pro leagues be opened up for kids straight out of high school?

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I don’t know what the answer is, but all of this is completely going sideways. College is not about an education. A degree no longer means anything outside of the fact that you have to have a piece of paper in order to get a job in many fields. Nearly every job I have held was on the job training and college literally didn’t help me other than being able to show them that paper. Some disciplines at college teach you what you need to be able to go into a field, and those are typically disciplines that a student is in school primarily for that and athletics is secondary if part of the picture. Should college be made more difficult where only those who are truly dedicated to earning a degree will consider it? Should all pro leagues be opened up for kids straight out of high school?
    I thought I was on this island all by myself!

I think there are WAY too many degrees (many of them economically useless) being offered with way too much concentration in whatever field they have chosen to pursue, and I include my own degree in there as well. General knowledge, with a lot of it out of the student's comfort zone, would be a better gauge of knowledge than taking a bunch of classes that continue to beat a dead horse long after it has become dust.

I am not sure if someone coming out of high school is ready for the NFL, but perhaps the NFL should consider a minor league program like baseball has to develop their talent.

The USFL could serve that purpose if they wanted it to.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

The IRS could fixed all of this real quickly if they wanted too

Disallow all donations to athletic foundations would be a great start
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    The IRS could fixed all of this real quickly if they wanted too

Disallow all donations to athletic foundations would be a great start
    AMEN!!!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    My big fear is that the ship has sailed. We had 40 years to place ourselves in a good spot and through a combo of bad luck, incompetence, and malice have ended up on the wrong side of the Ark.
    ^^^THIS!

+ Reply to Thread