+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Tech's best possible, REALISTIC conference movement

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Tech's best possible, REALISTIC conference movement

So, if the three AAC schools leave, will the AAC remain at 8 schools?

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Amos Moses View Post
    So, if the three AAC schools leave, will the AAC remain at 8 schools?
    I believe you have to have 10 to play a championship game, so I think they go back at least to 10, and likely to 12. As you get more spread out, it becomes better to have divisions rather than round robin.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

I am sorry the two schools are Arizona and Arizona State. Brad said he heard the same thing (post #116). I had mentioned this as a possibility in an earlier post (#99). Not sure if Brad and I heard this from the same source, but I do think it might have originated from the same, outspoken Big 12 school president.

My opinion is if the two Arizona schools go to the Big 12, Boise and Memphis also go, to make it 16 teams. Big 12 presidents want to make the new Big 12 as strong as possible. I agree travel will be a hassle, but they want to be in great shape if WVU leaves for the ACC or Iowa State and Oklahoma State leave for the Big Ten.

They feel they will accomplish this by taking every good G5 football program (Memphis brings basketball history). Keep in mind, WVU would leave for the ACC in a minute, even though the payout would be less. Oliver Luck was AD at WVU when they entered the Big 12 tried everything possible to get the Mountaineers in the ACC at the time, but under the current landscape the ACC will never accept WVU. I laugh when I hear or read otherwise. The reason is totally academics, WVU is nowhere near ACC level.

I think the two Arizona schools are longshots, but anything is possible. The Big 12 has a lot more fight in them than most people realize, I still feel the Pac 12 is the weakest P5. I have no information of what is in store for Iowa State an Oklahoma State, although my gut says they are stuck in the Big 12.

Here is what I understand about Houston. The deal with Houston is they were never invited to the Big 12 the last time, period. They really didn't bring much to the table that the Big 12 did not already have.
    Tilman Fertitta, a Texas billionaire, is board chairman or something like that at Houston. He threw a Texas sized fit saying Houston should be in the Big 12 blah, blah, blah. This rightfully so, upset the Big 12 presidents. Speculation was Houston would never be in the Big 12. Well, you have lived long enough to know things change and desperation sometimes make strange bedfellows. I expect Fertitta will be marginalized in Big 12 affairs moving forward, at least initially. He runs Houston athletics like it is his pro team. Think Bobby Lowder at Auburn. BTW he owns the Houston Rockets, they were 17-55 last season. I am not sure what any other poster meant by their statements about Houston, but this is my understanding about what went down. You probably knew all of this about Houston, perhaps not everyone else did.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    I am sorry the two schools are Arizona and Arizona State. Brad said he heard the same thing (post #116). I had mentioned this as a possibility in an earlier post (#99). Not sure if Brad and I heard this from the same source, but I do think it might have originated from the same, outspoken Big 12 school president.

My opinion is if the two Arizona schools go to the Big 12, Boise and Memphis also go, to make it 16 teams. Big 12 presidents want to make the new Big 12 as strong as possible. I agree travel will be a hassle, but they want to be in great shape if WVU leaves for the ACC or Iowa State and Oklahoma State leave for the Big Ten.

They feel they will accomplish this by taking every good G5 football program (Memphis brings basketball history). Keep in mind, WVU would leave for the ACC in a minute, even though the payout would be less. Oliver Luck was AD at WVU when they entered the Big 12 tried everything possible to get the Mountaineers in the ACC at the time, but under the current landscape the ACC will never accept WVU. I laugh when I hear or read otherwise. The reason is totally academics, WVU is nowhere near ACC level.

I think the two Arizona schools are longshots, but anything is possible. The Big 12 has a lot more fight in them than most people realize, I still feel the Pac 12 is the weakest P5. I have no information of what is in store for Iowa State an Oklahoma State, although my gut says they are stuck in the Big 12.

Here is what I understand about Houston. The deal with Houston is they were never invited to the Big 12 the last time, period. They really didn't bring much to the table that the Big 12 did not already have.
    Tilman Fertitta, a Texas billionaire, is board chairman or something like that at Houston. He threw a Texas sized fit saying Houston should be in the Big 12 blah, blah, blah. This rightfully so, upset the Big 12 presidents. Speculation was Houston would never be in the Big 12. Well, you have lived long enough to know things change and desperation sometimes make strange bedfellows. I expect Fertitta will be marginalized in Big 12 affairs moving forward, at least initially. He runs Houston athletics like it is his pro team. Think Bobby Lowder at Auburn. BTW he owns the Houston Rockets, they were 17-55 last season. I am not sure what any other poster meant by their statements about Houston, but this is my understanding about what went down. You probably knew all of this about Houston, perhaps not everyone else did.
    Thank you for the explanation. It kinda brings things into better focus. Yes, and I am familiar with Tilman Fertitta, and his influence over UH athletics. However, I had not heard a blip about the Arizona/Arizona State thingy. I can't really see that one happening UNLESS the Pac 12 implodes by losing USC, UCLA, Stanford and CAL. Then, and only then, I could see UA and ASU considering a possible move to the Big 12 with Utah and Colorado possibly in tow.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Thank you for the explanation. It kinda brings things into better focus. Yes, and I am familiar with Tilman Fertitta, and his influence over UH athletics. However, I had not heard a blip about the Arizona/Arizona State thingy. I can't really see that one happening UNLESS the Pac 12 implodes by losing USC, UCLA, Stanford and CAL. Then, and only then, I could see UA and ASU considering a possible move to the Big 12 with Utah and Colorado possibly in tow.
    Agreed. No way UA and ASU leave the PAC 12, especially for the flailing Big 12. When Nebraska and Colorado, and Texas A&M, and Missouri and Arkansas (from the original SWC) all left that told you all you have to know about the former Big 8, SWC, then merged Big 12. It has been the most unstable of all the major conferences, and it's not done changing yet.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

HD: The "problem" with Houston you've seen posted previously both here and elsewhere on social media is simply a fear by the other Texas schools of what might happen if Houston was allowed into Big 12. Houston has gone from a commuter school 30 years ago to a research university that's garnered a lot of respect.

Also, the only way Arizona and ASU leave the Pac 12 for the Big 12 is, as you stated, if the Pac 12 were to lose schools to the Big 10 and fall apart. But that's not going to happen. The Big 10 presidents have publicly stated they have no intention of raiding the Pac 12 and killing it off. If anything, the 2 conferences will be working together over the next decade.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    I believe you have to have 10 to play a championship game, so I think they go back at least to 10, and likely to 12. As you get more spread out, it becomes better to have divisions rather than round robin.
    In an interview prior to the AAC championship game last season on SiriusXM, Mike Aresco said that the AAC presidents wanted to get back to 12. He said that number just worked better for the league.

We'll soon find out if the remaining schools still feel that way.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    In an interview prior to the AAC championship game last season on SiriusXM, Mike Aresco said that the AAC presidents wanted to get back to 12. He said that number just worked better for the league.

We'll soon find out if the remaining schools still feel that way.
    It's good to hear from you again, Historian. Do you think the Big 10 is doing the right thing by choosing NOT to raid the PAC 12, etc..?

With the SEC going to 16 (and maybe more), it seems to me that the Big 10 could raid the Pac 12 of USC, UCLA, Stanford and CAL, and add 4 great programs to their portfolio, putting them at 18 total. Your thoughts?

It's good to hear from you again, Historian. Do you think the Big 10 is doing the right thing by choosing NOT to raid the PAC 12, etc..?

With the SEC going to 16 (and maybe more), it seems to me that the Big 10 could raid the Pac 12 of USC, UCLA, Stanford and CAL, and add 4 great programs to their portfolio, putting them at 18 total. Your thoughts?
    There was talk for several days in early August that perhaps the Big 10 would raid the Pac 12 of their California schools as well as Oregon and Washington.

Within days those rumors began to be shot down by writers and broadcasters close to the presidents within the Big 10. Those presidents just don't have the stomach for it. The idea of killing the Pac 12 and all the tradition the conferences share just isn't something they're interested in. And I understand where they're coming from.

Why not attempt to help save the Pac 12, help fix their TV situation, and move forward in a way that saves the tradition of the sport!!!

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    BYU is out. They not woke enough.

Concerns about BYU have been addressed, sources tell CBS Sports. Because it is a faith-based institution it does not play Sunday. That will not be a problem in the Big 12. Also, its 2016 candidacy for the Big 12 may have been scuttled by a letter to Bowlsby raising concerns about LGBTQ equality. BYU has participated in an NCAA initiative called Common Ground.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

Nice to see La-Laf get the recognition for the AAC.

Their public relation work to get to a bigger, better conference has been a non-stop media and PR campaign.

They are claiming they are the flagship UL school and the second best public university in the state with all the booster, revenue, research numbers, tv numbers, demographics, relation to major cities, etc. etc.

Not because the are better….but because they have pushed the narrative to then being the #2 public school in the state will get them moving up the chain more quickly than us…because the media is all in on the “Louisiana” naming / position.

Our guys played a nice round of golf the other day and had chicken salad sandwiches for lunch.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

My wife makes a killer chicken salad! We would fit right in.

Tech is Tech.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe View Post
    Nice to see La-Laf get the recognition for the AAC.

Their public relation work to get to a bigger, better conference has been a non-stop media and PR campaign.

They are claiming they are the flagship UL school and the second best public university in the state with all the booster, revenue, research numbers, tv numbers, demographics, relation to major cities, etc. etc.

Not because the are better….but because they have pushed the narrative to then being the #2 public school in the state will get them moving up the chain more quickly than us…because the media is all in on the “Louisiana” naming / position.

Our guys played a nice round of golf the other day and had chicken salad sandwiches for lunch.
    We got our ass whipped and our leaders seemed to enjoy it. Not a single one stood up to the BS UL system. Why?

Bulldog supermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time supermel311's Avatar

Drop down to FCS and join the Southland.

+ Reply to Thread