+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coaching Grading

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

Coaching Grading

We’ve all heard about player grading. I’ve never been through it because it became something well after my playing days. What I’d love to see is Holtz’s coaching graded. Obviously everyone on here has an opinion of his performances. Based on a summary of comments, I’d say the vast majority would agree that Holtz is most often a good coach against lesser opponents, but he’s a bad coach against better competition. Now back to the grading thing... I did a quick search online, but I didn’t see any such system. I was really hoping to find something to use while re-watching the MS replay to truly evaluate Holtz by way of a legit system/scale.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Coaching Grading

Holtz definitely played a part in the loss. But some people are unwilling to recognize that he also played a part in our being in position to win a game at Miss State down to the very last play. If you want to say it was the players who do that part--who is ultimately responsible for getting players into our program? If you say, assistant coaches are the ones who recruited them--who is it that hired the assistant coaches? If you say Miss State sucks, then why did most of you pick them to pummel us? Just have some consistency. If Holtz is to blame for the loss, he's also deserves the credit to have our team in position to win. Miss State has 10x our budget, we were playing on the road, the have better recruits.... Do the math
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

I'm starting to believe Holtz may be throwing games. As Champ967 pointed out in another thread, it seems highly improbable, statistically speaking, that one football coach can lose this many 4th quarter leads accidentally. Honestly, I think it's time to consider it.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I'm starting to believe Holtz may be throwing games. As Champ967 pointed out in another thread, it seems highly improbable, statistically speaking, that one football coach can lose this many 4th quarter leads accidentally. Honestly, I think it's time to consider it.
    Throwing games for gambling purposes? He covered the spread. Nobody with any brains would bet that game straight up.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    Throwing games for gambling purposes? He covered the spread. Nobody with any brains would bet that game straight up.
    So, you don't think somebody wouldn't pay him big bucks to BEAT the spread, but not win the game?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

So, you don't think somebody wouldn't pay him big bucks to BEAT the spread, but not win the game?
    You’ve just elevated him from moron to evil genius.

Am I at Qanon?

Ummm... no

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    Holtz definitely played a part in the loss. But some people are unwilling to recognize that he also played a part in our being in position to win a game at Miss State down to the very last play. If you want to say it was the players who do that part--who is ultimately responsible for getting players into our program? If you say, assistant coaches are the ones who recruited them--who is it that hired the assistant coaches? If you say Miss State sucks, then why did most of you pick them to pummel us? Just have some consistency. If Holtz is to blame for the loss, he's also deserves the credit to have our team in position to win. Miss State has 10x our budget, we were playing on the road, the have better recruits.... Do the math
    Being in position to win is worthless unless you actually win.

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    I took more positives from the game in terms of our season's projection than negatives. Maybe Miss State stinks, and we stink more. Time will tell.

Champ FriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond repute FriscoDog's Avatar

I heard this little factoid. During his tenure at Tech, Holtz has not beaten a P5 opponent in regular season (not counting bowl games). We are 0-15 against P5 schools.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    Exactly. Even all of us non coaches know you keep doing what is working until the other team stops it. Great coaches don’t care how much they blow out another team. They call plays seeking success, not trying to just avoid disaster.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

If everyone in the world is picking you to lose, it really doesn’t matter too much if you do. So what I can’t figure out is why Holtz always plays so tight in these games? Dude, go for broke. That game was ripe for the taking, and once again Holtz does his thing and surrenders. It’s absolutely mind blowing that he keeps doing the same thing over and over and over again and expecting it to work. Literally every P5 game we’ve lost in the 4th plays out exactly the same. I’ll tell y’all another little tidbit you may not know, fear is contagious, and every time Holtz loses the momentum, he’s scared to death.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    If everyone in the world is picking you to lose, it really doesn’t matter too much if you do. So what I can’t figure out is why Holtz always plays so tight in these games? Dude, go for broke. That game was ripe for the taking, and once again Holtz does his thing and surrenders. It’s absolutely mind blowing that he keeps doing the same thing over and over and over again and expecting it to work. Literally every P5 game we’ve lost in the 4th plays out exactly the same. I’ll tell y’all another little tidbit you may not know, fear is contagious, and every time Holtz loses the momentum, he’s scared to death.
    Actually I was more pleased than I usually am with the way the game was called offensively. There were some plays that simply weren't made that could have made a huge difference. The play-calling in the last set of downs was obviously questionable.

The defense couldn't get a stop on any of the three series that started in Tech territory, and that was disappointing. And the defense going missing for the two long drives when Tech gave up the lead is concerning.

Punting was fine except for the shank that happened during the collapse. Kickoffs and kickoff coverage were the most inconsistent areas of special teams, and those have to be cleaned up. A skykick is no good if the coverage team can't contain.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    Actually I was more pleased than I usually am with the way the game was called offensively. There were some plays that simply weren't made that could have made a huge difference. The play-calling in the last set of downs was obviously questionable.

The defense couldn't get a stop on any of the three series that started in Tech territory, and that was disappointing. And the defense going missing for the two long drives when Tech gave up the lead is concerning.

Punting was fine except for the shank that happened during the collapse. Kickoffs and kickoff coverage were the most inconsistent areas of special teams, and those have to be cleaned up. A skykick is no good if the coverage team can't contain.
    Isn’t it a coincidence that the whole team (offense, defense, ST) just all start to suck at almost the exact same time? As soon as the kick return happened, the entire team fell apart. That’s a leadership issue, and it happens all the time. The defense couldn’t make a stop, the offense becomes a 3 and out machine, and special teams…..well they were special as always.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    Isn’t it a coincidence that the whole team (offense, defense, ST) just all start to suck at almost the exact same time? As soon as the kick return happened, the entire team fell apart. That’s a leadership issue, and it happens all the time. The defense couldn’t make a stop, the offense becomes a 3 and out machine, and special teams…..well they were special as always.
    The team had been playing to win for three quarters and suddenly the HC calls the dogs off.

The non-kick to the end zone was the beginning.

Then he ran the defense on the field and insisted on a three man rush and "prevent" when we had been stuffing them and causing mistakes all day. This defensive collapse was 100% on our HC.

Then his offensive play calling.

+ Reply to Thread