+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pass Defense: Something to Remember

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Pass Defense: Something to Remember

I think LA Tech's defense is fine. Very good actually. It's just weird that Tech's 2021 schedule began with two teams who threw the football for a combined 106 pass attempts in only 2 games. Mike Leach's MSU passed the ball 47 times and SELA passed it 59 times. That's insane! Plus, SMU Coach Sonny Dykes is known for throwing the ball a lot too. However, I was relieved to see SMU only threw the football 33 times against UNT last week.

All this passing.....Hell of a way to start the 2021 season.

By contrast, FAU's first two opponents this season (Florida & Georgia Southern) only threw the ball a combined 48 times. GSU threw it 21 times and Florida threw it 27 times. Likewise, UAB's first two opponents --Jacksonville St (34) and Georgia (22)-- passed for a combined 56 passes. Those are "cakewalk" numbers compared to what our guys have just faced.

I haven't checked the stats of all CUSA teams to date, but I highly doubt anybody in CUSA has faced the high number of pass attempts and quality Quarterbacking that LA Tech has faced in the last two games. And I seriously doubt Tech will face back to back "passing" weeks like the past two again.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Re: Pass Defense: Something to Remember

I watched the SMU/UNT game, SMU's offense was a work in progress. They are not there like the Tech 2012 offense.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I think LA Tech's defense is fine. Very good actually. It's just weird that Tech's 2021 schedule began with two teams who threw the football for a combined 106 pass attempts in only 2 games. Mike Leach's MSU passed the ball 47 times and SELA passed it 59 times. That's insane! Plus, SMU Coach Sonny Dykes is known for throwing the ball a lot too. However, I was relieved to see SMU only threw the football 33 times against UNT last week.

By contrast, FAU's first two opponents this season (Florida & Georgia Southern) only threw the ball a combined 48 times. GSU threw it 21 times and Florida threw it 27 times. Likewise, UAB's first two opponents --Jacksonville St (34) and Georgia (22)-- passed for a combined 56 passes. Those are "cakewalk" numbers compared to what our guys have just faced.

I haven't checked the stats of all CUSA teams to date, but I highly doubt anybody in CUSA has faced the high number of pass attempts and quality Quarterbacking that LA Tech has faced in the last two games. And I seriously doubt Tech will face back to back "passing" weeks like the past two again.
    Dykes has always been more balanced than Leach, but yeah, they're going to be throwing.

The only team that throws like that in CUSA might be WKU, who isn't on our schedule. They brought in HBU's coach(es) and several players. They're going to air it out. I think their QB is on pace for about a gazillion yards.

We are absolutely getting our volume passers out of the way early.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Dykes has always been more balanced than Leach, but yeah, they're going to be throwing.

The only team that throws like that in CUSA might be WKU, who isn't on our schedule. They brought in HBU's coach(es) and several players. They're going to air it out. I think their QB is on pace for about a gazillion yards.

We are absolutely getting our volume passers out of the way early.

They got that Bailey Zappe kid? Dude is good! Glad we don't face them on our schedule.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    I watched the SMU/UNT game, SMU's offense was a work in progress. They are not there like the Tech 2012 offense.
    That's good to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    They got that Bailey Zappe kid? Dude is good! Glad we don't face them on our schedule.
    Yep. And I'm glad we don't have to play SE Louisiana again. QB Kelley threw that ball 59 times. That's insane!

Varsity Bulldog Dawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to all

I'm not sure how many of you were actually there...but Cole Kelley was absolutely the best QB I've seen in Aillet stadium in maybe 30 years..yes, even better than Kaperneck...unfortunately, he doesn't play for us! Also of worthy note, their playcalling and OC had an absolutely perfect gameplan, and there offense is incredible...I can certainly see why Kelley won the small college Hesiman last year...at 6'7", 260, he was incredible to watch...aggravating and excruciating, but we were fortunate to pull that one out...

Next task is against SMU's Tanner Mordecai.

Note: Austin Kendall and Tanner were both on the 2018 Oklahoma team.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg74 View Post
    I'm not sure how many of you were actually there...but Cole Kelley was absolutely the best QB I've seen in Aillet stadium in maybe 30 years..yes, even better than Kaperneck...unfortunately, he doesn't play for us! Also of worthy note, their playcalling and OC had an absolutely perfect gameplan, and there offense is incredible...I can certainly see why Kelley won the small college Hesiman last year...at 6'7", 260, he was incredible to watch...aggravating and excruciating, but we were fortunate to pull that one out...
    I told someone that exact same thing yesterday. Besides being incredibly talented, he knew where the open guy was when he got pressured and could just flip it to them. Kid was incredible to watch.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post

Tech has faced the most pass attempts of any FBS team that has played just two games. And just UTEP at 110 in 3 games has more.

But on the down side, Tech has allowed the most pass completions of any team with 83. And it's not even close, as Connecticut is next with 68 allowed in 3 games.

Tech is also #130 (worst) in FBS allowing 415.5 passing yards per game. Memphis is next worst at 400 per game.

Tech is #115 (ahead of half the Sun Belt including both ULL and ULM and also LSU) in pass efficiency defense.

Tech is #123 in total defense allowing 499.5 per game.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    Tech has faced the most pass attempts of any FBS team that has played just two games. And just UTEP at 110 in 3 games has more.

But on the down side, Tech has allowed the most pass completions of any team with 83. And it's not even close, as Connecticut is next with 68 allowed in 3 games.

Tech is also #130 (worst) in FBS allowing 415.5 passing yards per game. Memphis is next worst at 400 per game.

Tech is #115 (ahead of half the Sun Belt including both ULL and ULM and also LSU) in pass efficiency defense.

Tech is #123 in total defense allowing 499.5 per game.
    Two competing stats. If anyone just states one without the other, we look very good or very bad on defense. Since we have faced the most pass attempts than any other FBS program, it would stand to reason we have had the most allowed yards per pass. So interesting and shows how the media can portray it either way. As for SMU, they are not there yet. Let's just hope they don't get it all together before Saturday. I do think Dykes would love nothing more than for this to be complete domination and run the score up, but I think we hold them to less than 30 and win this one. Either that or I am TOTALLY wrong and we get completed blasted out of our own stadium. I have no clue, actually... I never know with Tech. All I know is that I will be cheering hard for us to take this one and go to 2-1.

Big Dog Dorm Fridge is a splendid one to beholdDorm Fridge is a splendid one to beholdDorm Fridge is a splendid one to beholdDorm Fridge is a splendid one to beholdDorm Fridge is a splendid one to beholdDorm Fridge is a splendid one to beholdDorm Fridge is a splendid one to beholdDorm Fridge is a splendid one to beholdDorm Fridge is a splendid one to beholdDorm Fridge is a splendid one to beholdDorm Fridge is a splendid one to behold

We have faced the most pass attempts. One question is whether the two teams we played were going to throw that much, no matter who they played, or if they went pass happy because they though the Tech D was ripe for carving.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dorm Fridge View Post
    We have faced the most pass attempts. One question is whether the two teams we played were going to throw that much, no matter who they played, or if they went pass happy because they though the Tech D was ripe for carving.
    Both of the teams we've played were going to pass a lot no matter what.

I think that's safe to assume.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Both of the teams we've played were going to pass a lot no matter what.

I think that's safe to assume.
    Looks that way. Moo State threw the ball 49 times for about 300 yards vs. NC State.

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    I told someone that exact same thing yesterday. Besides being incredibly talented, he knew where the open guy was when he got pressured and could just flip it to them. Kid was incredible to watch.
    I agree. Kelly was great at looking one way, and then immediately throwing the ball the other way....to his opposite direction. I've never seen another QB do THAT better in the Joe.

+ Reply to Thread