+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Gameday tailgating has disappeared

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Re: Gameday tailgating has disappeared

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    If I were AD I'd be worrying about other $hit and remove all kinds of regulation.

Make football a #Happpening again for the fans.

Jelling with this team is just the start.
    Yep easy fix! Remove as many obstacles from the fans participation as possible and that are safe to implement. Get people pumped, then they bring a friend, and it grows. Its sad that instead of building on what had grown into a good atmosphere for all, not just the group you were partying with, that we are having to start over for the most part.

Puppy TheWetPhoenix is a glorious beacon of lightTheWetPhoenix is a glorious beacon of lightTheWetPhoenix is a glorious beacon of lightTheWetPhoenix is a glorious beacon of lightTheWetPhoenix is a glorious beacon of lightTheWetPhoenix is a glorious beacon of lightTheWetPhoenix is a glorious beacon of lightTheWetPhoenix is a glorious beacon of lightTheWetPhoenix is a glorious beacon of lightTheWetPhoenix is a glorious beacon of lightTheWetPhoenix is a glorious beacon of light

Let me start by saying that I have not read all the responses in this thread yet, so if I repeat anything that has been said I'm not copying, great minds just think alike.

For background info, I graduated in 2013 and I spent a fair amount of time thinking about this when I was a student. I was in band the full 5 years it took me to get my 4 year degree, so I had limited experience with tailgating prior to the 2014 season when my wife and I began tailgating at least one game a season. My last tailgate was against Mississippi State in 2018, I work with several LaTech and MState alumni and we had a blast. We set up a little behind the Argent close enough to the road where we could park 2 or 3 vehicles and get out easy after the game. We did that for 5 seasons until the rule changes. I live in NE Texas and I love Tech, I will encourage my children to attend if they want to go to college. I love watching it grow and seeing the changes when I come back. College, and everything it has to offer, is and EXPERIENCE. Lasting memories, good and bad, that shape what is to come. The university has got to find balance between building a positive experience and appeasing the money bags.

I agree with what many have said about the product on the field not bringing in fans. We have not been exciting to watch for several year, and while I agree that this year seems significantly improved, we have to find a way to win the close games (I don't intend this to be a post to rag HCSH, that is for another time)

Some things that would improve the atmosphere...

1. Make tailgating easy - for students a great way to do this would be to provide the equipment needed for them to tailgate. Tents, tables, chairs, coolers, charcoal grills, flags, all branded with the LaTech Logos. These could be provided with a security fee. Have students pay a fee to "rent" the equipment and when it is returned in good condition, they get the fee back. This makes it realistic for your average group of students who want to attend the game, to go since they don't have anywhere to store equipment like a sorority/fraternity does. Nobody is out significant money and it makes it easy. Plus the sea of State Ts would look amazing.

For other tailgaters I think there should be two options Free tailgating around the TAC or in the park where they may tailgate free of charge and have a 2 vehicle max, this would make it easy to get equipment and people in but not crowd it with vehicles moving in and out creating a safety hazard. Paid tailgating could happen in the parking lot but the university has got to provide to some basics like electrical hookups (to get rid of the generators). For designated camper parking their should be full hook ups just like at a camping site (electricity, water, sewage, maybe even cable for watching other games while tailgating) This option would likely appeal to the businesses that set up spots also.

2. Make it fun - Make it an all day event. I have heard of some universities who make it a big deal for the students to "stake out" their tailgate spots. Have all the students/organizations start at the TAC with their equipment and at a given signal, they race to set up at the best spots, there should be a designated area for student tailgating. This generates a competitive and electric atmosphere long before the game starts that the students should carry over to the game.

I'm not going to get on here and publicly say underage drinking is OK, but for the love of God this is college, we all know its happening, we are not going to stop it, so best we can do is control the outfall, not stifle the fun.

Let the student organizations generate some competitions between them. that will develop naturally and can only help the atmosphere grow.

Bring in vendors. food vendors, drink vendors (yes I mean alcohol), memorabilia vendors. I'm not saying turn it in to a street fair, but we have got to provide for the average fan. A lot of people are going to show up right before the game so they can either eat before they arrive or buy from the concessions, if we provide for them earlier in the day, they will hang around longer and help the atmosphere grow.

I have not gone to a home game this year but from what I saw on social media, it looks like the team did not enter at the Argent. The teams arrival should ALWAYS be a big deal, I'm not sure the argent is the ideal place given they have to walk the length of the field, but a majority of the tailgating should be positioned so that fans can easily be there for the arrival. This helps get the players hyped before the game.

I loved the idea of the stage with live music we had a few years back. I never liked any of the music that was played but if we set up an area with a stage, good music, and the vendors I mentioned around it, you have a great kicking off point. Maybe the team enters near the stage so a "master of ceremonies" can officiate it from the stage and generate some hype from the crowd getting everyone involved.

3.Visitors - We have to designate a decent area for visitors to tailgate. We are not such a large school that we can afford to be inhospitable and make them tailgate by Hale Hall or the new parking lot where the softball field was. We have plenty of room, let them in around the rest of us and be gracious hosts.

I realize most of these are easier said than done, but those are some thoughts I have had for a while.

ps. the band does get scholarships but they are small. maybe some of you givers might consider donating to just the band. I have never met the new director but i know Jim did a lot with the very little budget we received. I was told once that the BOP had an operating budget of <$100,000. That is far removed from many of the top tier bands in the country with budgets of over $1,000,000. Bear in mind, that 100k was over 10 years ago when I heard that, but the band did not have a significant enough budget to even consider traveling to away games en masse until after the Poinsettia Bowl debacle.

...ok...I'm done.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

I made up my mind to bail when they upped the "red lot" passes . The amount I was paying only got me in the "East Side" of the lot even though it was the same damn lot as the "West Side". My tailgate was on the West Side. I had to park in the East (nearly empty East I may add) and walk through a half empty West to get to my tailgate...that was always under at least 6 inches of water anytime it rained and/or they drained the "terrorist blockade things" that were filled with water. Couple that with thug-life as the norm for the most part on the part of the players and the general crappiness of the gameday atmosphere it was an easy call. I have much, much better things to do on Saturday and haven't missed it a bit. Pretty sure if things continue this way you can stick a fork in it.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    I made up my mind to bail when they upped the "red lot" passes . The amount I was paying only got me in the "East Side" of the lot even though it was the same damn lot as the "West Side". My tailgate was on the West Side. I had to park in the East (nearly empty East I may add) and walk through a half empty West to get to my tailgate...that was always under at least 6 inches of water anytime it rained and/or they drained the "terrorist blockade things" that were filled with water. Couple that with thug-life as the norm for the most part on the part of the players and the general crappiness of the gameday atmosphere it was an easy call. I have much, much better things to do on Saturday and haven't missed it a bit. Pretty sure if things continue this way you can stick a fork in it.
    You gave a lot. Thanks for that

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

I will always be a member of "The 32 Crew" however
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

It can never be undone

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg;[URL="tel:1811672"
    1811672[/URL]]I will always be a member of "The 32 Crew" however
    You got that right !

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

What an awesome tailgating group of standardbearers!
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

Who can ever forget DOGTOREVIL’s turnip greens ! BEST TAILGATE FOOD I EVER HAD AT TECH

I HOPE IT ISN’T ALL OVER

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dowty View Post
    The problem isn't the idea of the Young Alumni section. The problem is the atmosphere generated by our previous AD killed off the "passionate students" in The Joe. So once these students graduate and are able to be Young Alumni, they have no desire to buy seats there or anywhere else.

As I said, I was one of those "passionate students" who bought YA seats for a few years. We were basically an extension of the student section back then. It's what the YA section was supposed to be. If we're going to bring it back, Dr. Wood is going to have to make The Joe a place the students want to be and develop the die-hards while they're students.
    We don’t have enough you g alumni that stay in the area to fill that section. Pretty sure I never saw that section more than half full. Another solution is just sell those seats to some donor and give the tickets to students. Pretty sure they couldn’t do anything about that.

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

Haven’t seen a clear answer to this. We always used to just hop the curb off Alabama to the south side of the TAC and parked our car to tailgate there. They still let you do that?

Champ Gladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by TheWetPhoenix View Post
    Let me start by saying that I have not read all the responses in this thread yet, so if I repeat anything that has been said I'm not copying, great minds just think alike.

For background info, I graduated in 2013 and I spent a fair amount of time thinking about this when I was a student. I was in band the full 5 years it took me to get my 4 year degree, so I had limited experience with tailgating prior to the 2014 season when my wife and I began tailgating at least one game a season. My last tailgate was against Mississippi State in 2018, I work with several LaTech and MState alumni and we had a blast. We set up a little behind the Argent close enough to the road where we could park 2 or 3 vehicles and get out easy after the game. We did that for 5 seasons until the rule changes. I live in NE Texas and I love Tech, I will encourage my children to attend if they want to go to college. I love watching it grow and seeing the changes when I come back. College, and everything it has to offer, is and EXPERIENCE. Lasting memories, good and bad, that shape what is to come. The university has got to find balance between building a positive experience and appeasing the money bags.

I agree with what many have said about the product on the field not bringing in fans. We have not been exciting to watch for several year, and while I agree that this year seems significantly improved, we have to find a way to win the close games (I don't intend this to be a post to rag HCSH, that is for another time)

Some things that would improve the atmosphere...

1. Make tailgating easy - for students a great way to do this would be to provide the equipment needed for them to tailgate. Tents, tables, chairs, coolers, charcoal grills, flags, all branded with the LaTech Logos. These could be provided with a security fee. Have students pay a fee to "rent" the equipment and when it is returned in good condition, they get the fee back. This makes it realistic for your average group of students who want to attend the game, to go since they don't have anywhere to store equipment like a sorority/fraternity does. Nobody is out significant money and it makes it easy. Plus the sea of State Ts would look amazing.

For other tailgaters I think there should be two options Free tailgating around the TAC or in the park where they may tailgate free of charge and have a 2 vehicle max, this would make it easy to get equipment and people in but not crowd it with vehicles moving in and out creating a safety hazard. Paid tailgating could happen in the parking lot but the university has got to provide to some basics like electrical hookups (to get rid of the generators). For designated camper parking their should be full hook ups just like at a camping site (electricity, water, sewage, maybe even cable for watching other games while tailgating) This option would likely appeal to the businesses that set up spots also.

2. Make it fun - Make it an all day event. I have heard of some universities who make it a big deal for the students to "stake out" their tailgate spots. Have all the students/organizations start at the TAC with their equipment and at a given signal, they race to set up at the best spots, there should be a designated area for student tailgating. This generates a competitive and electric atmosphere long before the game starts that the students should carry over to the game.

I'm not going to get on here and publicly say underage drinking is OK, but for the love of God this is college, we all know its happening, we are not going to stop it, so best we can do is control the outfall, not stifle the fun.

Let the student organizations generate some competitions between them. that will develop naturally and can only help the atmosphere grow.

Bring in vendors. food vendors, drink vendors (yes I mean alcohol), memorabilia vendors. I'm not saying turn it in to a street fair, but we have got to provide for the average fan. A lot of people are going to show up right before the game so they can either eat before they arrive or buy from the concessions, if we provide for them earlier in the day, they will hang around longer and help the atmosphere grow.

I have not gone to a home game this year but from what I saw on social media, it looks like the team did not enter at the Argent. The teams arrival should ALWAYS be a big deal, I'm not sure the argent is the ideal place given they have to walk the length of the field, but a majority of the tailgating should be positioned so that fans can easily be there for the arrival. This helps get the players hyped before the game.

I loved the idea of the stage with live music we had a few years back. I never liked any of the music that was played but if we set up an area with a stage, good music, and the vendors I mentioned around it, you have a great kicking off point. Maybe the team enters near the stage so a "master of ceremonies" can officiate it from the stage and generate some hype from the crowd getting everyone involved.

3.Visitors - We have to designate a decent area for visitors to tailgate. We are not such a large school that we can afford to be inhospitable and make them tailgate by Hale Hall or the new parking lot where the softball field was. We have plenty of room, let them in around the rest of us and be gracious hosts.

I realize most of these are easier said than done, but those are some thoughts I have had for a while.

ps. the band does get scholarships but they are small. maybe some of you givers might consider donating to just the band. I have never met the new director but i know Jim did a lot with the very little budget we received. I was told once that the BOP had an operating budget of <$100,000. That is far removed from many of the top tier bands in the country with budgets of over $1,000,000. Bear in mind, that 100k was over 10 years ago when I heard that, but the band did not have a significant enough budget to even consider traveling to away games en masse until after the Poinsettia Bowl debacle.

...ok...I'm done.
    Wait, did you attend any games from 14-16.

I doubt you did, because you described exactly how it was when i started tailgating in 2012 until tmac killed the atmosphere around 2016.

Here's a novel idea, JUST UNDO ALL AND AMY OF THE CHANGES THAT TMAC IMPLEMENTED. some if you are truly morons. All that has to be done is for any and all of tmacs changes to be undone and maybe an apology by the University.

Geez wiz, it's not rocket science here. Stop acting like it is.

Champ Gladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud of

Also whatever fringe ltac members that are still in because of baseball, pull the same crap with baseball tickets that were done with football tickets and it'll be a cold day in college athletic hell knowing that the athletic department will miss out on thousands from 20+ year ltac members.

Quote Originally Posted by THEarmada View Post
    Haven’t seen a clear answer to this. We always used to just hop the curb off Alabama to the south side of the TAC and parked our car to tailgate there. They still let you do that?
    According to this you can still do this. Notice, no parking on the north side, but it does not say no parking on the south side. They have also provided a tailgate drop off area (on the south side) that has never been there before this year.

Varsity Bulldog Dawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to all

Geez, must of you on here are terribly depressing! I'm not saying many of your suggestions aren't good--they are, and many very logical!
    However, unless you are going to contact Dr Wood or Dr Wood's staff--you aren't being constructive. Now I remember why I quit getting on here.The majority of you on here just have to be Baptists....complain about everything, and no alternative solutions! Ah, now, HOLD YOUR WAD there mister(didn't Eddie say that?)--MANY of you do feel you have solutions...TAKE IT TO THE POWERS THAT BE! Maybe they listen, maybe they don't....

I, too, wasn't thrilled about "the Red" lot going up; it's still cheap compared to many other places... though, I actually moved to the blue lot...BOTTOM LINE--we CAN ALL FIND EXCUSES not to come...I do think it will take this season to "iron out" some gameday issues--first and foremost the tailgating and gameday atmosphere....

My final thought--us diehards(or maybe not)...NOW is NOT THE TIME to bail! IF we ever have a chance to recoup the atmosphere, we must stay the course! Take it to Dr. Wood OR his staff; Jarred Latta; whomever! Then, after we give time to the new regime and some serious issues aren't addressed and/or changed--then you'll know " things" wont change, and then act accordingly!

What else can be said? Albeit major changes need to be made--I STILL ENJOY seeing friends and tailgating...even more than the game usually!!

Hoping for changes, and sensible ones, I remain...a Bulldog��

+ Reply to Thread