+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Guess Who Has A Better Football Record Than LA Tech?

Champ zharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant future zharkins's Avatar

Re: Guess Who Has A Better Football Record Than LA Tech?

Quote Originally Posted by golfkdog View Post
    How many CUSA championships have we won?
    Zip, zero, nada.

If that is the argument, then people need to stick with that, but let's not act like we haven't been one of the winningest programs in C-USA. I do hear that Jack Bicknell is available. He won a conference championship if I recall, since that is the bar.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zharkins View Post
    Zip, zero, nada.

If that is the argument, then people need to stick with that, but let's not act like we haven't been one of the winningest programs in C-USA. I do hear that Jack Bicknell is available. He won a conference championship if I recall, since that is the bar.
    The argument is that his product is not selling tickets. The brand of football is actually driving fans away when combined with what leadership during the same period did to fans.

I'm not a "FIRE THE COACH" guy. I'm a "make the needed changes" guy.

Do you agree that changes need to be made?

I'll hang up and listen.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I enjoyed our most recent games with USL. I do not want to see us have annual games with any Louisiana school unless we are conference mates. Having 1 Louisiana team on our schedule each year or every other year is fine. If we start H&H series into perpetuity with NLU or USL, my seats will be empty. I’m not interested. We may fill the stadium, but those are not ambitious, program building games IMO. Of course, none of our other OOC games are either.
    This last sentence of yours, to me, is key.

I share your disdain for the UL sisters. But if we're going to be playing OOC games against So. Alabama, Bowling Green, UMass, UNLV ... I'll take the UL twins. I'll choose disgust over ... boredom. Disgust is at least interesting. Moreover, the return game is an easy drive, meaning I can watch more Tech football in person. That is, I'll travel to Laffy for a meaningless OOC away game, but not to Boston.

To be clear ... if a P5 wants to play a home-and-home (or even a 2-for-1), then that should take priority. But failing that, I say bring on the ULs. Because they're less uninteresting than ... Idunno, Tulsa.

Similarly for FCS games. I dont like them, and dont think Tech or any other self-respecting FBS ought to play them with any regularity. But having accepted that's just how it is ... I'll take SLU, NWSt, or Southern over SC State or SFA.

To draw an academic metaphor --- I'd submit that Tech athletics should major in CUSA, and minor in Louisiana.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly right.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    This last sentence of yours, to me, is key.

I share your disdain for the UL sisters. But if we're going to be playing OOC games against So. Alabama, Bowling Green, UMass, UNLV ... I'll take the UL twins. I'll choose disgust over ... boredom. Disgust is at least interesting. Moreover, the return game is an easy drive, meaning I can watch more Tech football in person. That is, I'll travel to Laffy for a meaningless OOC away game, but not to Boston.

To be clear ... if a P5 wants to play a home-and-home (or even a 2-for-1), then that should take priority. But failing that, I say bring on the ULs. Because they're less uninteresting than ... Idunno, Tulsa.

Similarly for FCS games. I dont like them, and dont think Tech or any other self-respecting FBS ought to play them with any regularity. But having accepted that's just how it is ... I'll take SLU, NWSt, or Southern over SC State or SFA.

To draw an academic metaphor --- I'd submit that Tech athletics should major in CUSA, and minor in Louisiana.
    Yea, I tend to agree. I have no desire to play ULX.

But the alternative is an even lazier, more boring opponent.

To be fair, we did get an SEC team to visit Ruston and hand us [one of] the most embarrassing losses in our entire football history.

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    The argument is that his product is not selling tickets. The brand of football is actually driving fans away when combined with what leadership during the same period did to fans.

I'll hang up and listen.
    This is exactly where I am. Make Tech football fun again!

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    To be fair, we did get an SEC team to visit Ruston and hand us [one of] the most embarrassing losses in our entire football history.
    Yes, and that sucked. But the time before that, we got a thrilling win.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Yes, and that sucked. But the time before that, we got a thrilling win.
    All we're asking for is a thrilling win once every 30 years to ride the high!

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Comparing Holtz to JB lll is comparing apples to oranges. The strength of schedules were FAR worse for JB lll, with far less support than what Holtz now enjoys. I would imagine that JB lll could at least replicate what Holtz is doing, if not exceed it.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Carr was never our HC.
    I thought you meant a legendary player for us who lost a job at NE. I misread your post as my mental faculties are waning.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

AL Williams

1983 4-7 - lost to nlu and southwestern
    1984 10-5 - lost to nlu and southwestern but won the SLC championshilp
    1985 8-3 - lost to nlu
    1986 6-4-1 - lost to nlu

One of our most successful coaches ever who led us to a national championship game was forced to retire because he could not beat nlu.

They replaced him with Carl "freekin'" Torbush! ...who lost to nlu in 1987 44-7.

Were you trippin' during these years?
    Frank C and I flew to SC for that game at The Citadel. Nice trip except for . . .

I enjoyed our most recent games with USL. I do not want to see us have annual games with any Louisiana school unless we are conference mates. Having 1 Louisiana team on our schedule each year or every other year is fine. If we start H&H series into perpetuity with NLU or USL, my seats will be empty. I’m not interested. We may fill the stadium, but those are not ambitious, program building games IMO. Of course, none of our other OOC games are either.
    You're right, but we need a minimum of 6 home games/yr

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll hang up and listen.
    Last game was boring but the first three were about as exciting as it gets. High-scoring offenses going at it… a Tech fan’s dream. What was the crowd like for UNT?

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    Last game was boring but the first three were about as exciting as it gets. High-scoring offenses going at it… a Tech fan’s dream. What was the crowd like for UNT?
    Less than 10k, and it seemed like about 100 because of how dead the entire stadium was. It was as though everyone there, including the players, was waiting for Holtz to lose another one.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Less than 10k, and it seemed like about 100 because of how dead the entire stadium was. It was as though everyone there, including the players, was waiting for Holtz to lose another one.
    Hmm… not excitement they are looking for then. It must be a mixture of excitement and wins. Winning boring is not good and losing excitingly is not good. Have to win and score over 35 all the time to draw 18,000?

It wasn’t always like this. I think TV/internet may have affected attendance? Tech used to NEVER be on TV. The only way you saw a game was at the stadium.

+ Reply to Thread