+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: 10/2 @ NC State Game

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: 10/2 @ NC State Game

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    You're the one being irrational now. Why do you cheer at all for your college team? Afterall, according to your thesis, you're not responsible for their performance. Based on your thesis, if Tech beat Alabama again, you would have no right to feel the joy and exuberance that goes with that kind of big win.

We're all responsible for the decisions we make. That includes which college we chose to attend, and of course, subsequently support. So, if you really care about 'em, you feel the pain when the lose just like you feel the exuberance when they win. And if none of it means anything to you, just stay home.
    Pain is not the same thing as embarrassment and exuberance is not the same thing as pride.

Vicarious embarrassment for a football program is irrational. It happens to a lot of people, but that doesn’t mean it’s right or good.

Irrational pride (good feeling) certainly makes sense…people feel good even though they had nothing to do with the accomplishment. People who are irrationally embarrassed are feeling bad about something they have no cause to feel bad about.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Pain is not the same thing as embarrassment and exuberance is not the same thing as pride.

Vicarious embarrassment for a football program is irrational. It happens to a lot of people, but that doesn’t mean it’s right or good.

Irrational pride (good feeling) certainly makes sense…people feel good even though they had nothing to do with the accomplishment. People who are irrationally embarrassed are feeling bad about something they have no cause to feel bad about.
    Who died and made you king? Again, the "liberal mind" just can't stand to let people make their own decisions, in this case, regarding how they feel about wins and losses. You're NOT A PART of that process of how I feel and react to wins and losses. Nobody asked you. But you just can't stand it. You feel the need to tell others how they should react and feel in these situations. You're a classic example of the modern day liberal mind. LOL!

No, you're just changing the rules (or moving the goal posts, as it were) because I nailed you with your own silly thesis. LOL!

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I’ve asked several times for you to explain why you are embarrassed, but you haven’t yet. Why not?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

I’ve asked several times for you to explain why you are embarrassed, but you haven’t yet. Why not?
    Because I don't owe you an explanation. You're just going to have to live with that. See Post #405 again.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

That’s irrational.
    Try looking in the mirror. You will see irrational staring back.

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    Try looking in the mirror. You will see irrational staring back.
    You guys sure are touchy about it! What have I said about embarrassment that’s been irrational?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

It's a natural emotion. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    It's a natural emotion. Nothing to be embarrassed about.
    Epic!
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Epic!
    I knew you'd like that

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    Maybe not for those who didn't get to see it the first time.
    I couldn't find the game on ACC Network

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

This is old by now but it’s my final world on the NC State game. I finally watched it and what I took from it was that Holtz was in his perfect place; the other team was on a high from a big last week win, they were physically bigger and better and were playing like it, it was a noisy home team high spirited crowd, his team was a sizable underdog and the refs were playing for the other team. All Holtz had to do was not stink it up from start to finish, make the game at least not a laugher for everyone and he’d be okay with that. You could tell how much fun Holtz was having coaching a game he knew he shouldn’t, couldn’t and ultimately wouldn’t win because of all the smiling he was doing up and down the sidelined. Even in his put on, phony bologna outrage with the sideline official in the BS homer ref calls. If he really meant his being pissed in getting cheated he would’ve called the head ref over to the sideline and taken an unsportsmanlike penalty for the team. Instead Holtz calculated that it would help him have an excuse in not winning, even if it was just in his head, which was perfectly fine.

Bottom line, I’d bet Holtz loves these types of underdog no expectation games and secretly wishes every game was one of these. And that’s why he subconsciously coaches every game to be an underachieving effort. He loves the cliffhanger and the dramatics of the last minute being on him. If he loses, there’s no consequence, if he manages to pull out the win, then he gets the feel good pat on the back praise of having done it all by himself in spite of himself.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bone_afide_Dawg View Post
    This is old by now but it’s my final world on the NC State game. I finally watched it and what I took from it was that Holtz was in his perfect place; the other team was on a high from a big last week win, they were physically bigger and better and were playing like it, it was a noisy home team high spirited crowd, his team was a sizable underdog and the refs were playing for the other team. All Holtz had to do was not stink it up from start to finish, make the game at least not a laugher for everyone and he’d be okay with that. You could tell how much fun Holtz was having coaching a game he knew he shouldn’t, couldn’t and ultimately wouldn’t win because of all the smiling he was doing up and down the sidelined. Even in his put on, phony bologna outrage with the sideline official in the BS homer ref calls. If he really meant his being pissed in getting cheated he would’ve called the head ref over to the sideline and taken an unsportsmanlike penalty for the team. Instead Holtz calculated that it would help him have an excuse in not winning, even if it was just in his head, which was perfectly fine.

Bottom line, I’d bet Holtz loves these types of underdog no expectation games and secretly wishes every game was one of these. And that’s why he subconsciously coaches every game to be an underachieving effort. He loves the cliffhanger and the dramatics of the last minute being on him. If he loses, there’s no consequence, if he manages to pull out the win, then he gets the feel good pat on the back praise of having done it all by himself in spite of himself.
    Probably not far off. What a miserable way to work.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by stodgdog View Post
    I couldn't find the game on ACC Network
    I recorded the replay at 2 AM on the Sunday morning after the game. Another replay was on the schedule for overnight Sunday into Monday last week, but I can't confirm that one.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bone_afide_Dawg View Post

Man, you have put a lot of thought in this

+ Reply to Thread