+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Ya Got?

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Re: Who Ya Got?

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Morris at UIW is decent.
    Upside:
    He is young and ambitious
    He has a great Texas Tech pedigree
    He is offense minded
    Has some big wins in FCS and knows how to go for conference championships

Downside:
    Risk of bringing an FCS coach (but there is risk with anyone)
    I believe he is only 23-17 as a head coach (not a great overall record)

The Texas Tech offense mindedness might outweigh the downside. I will add that he can probably recruit Texas and could do more at Tech than with an FCS UIW.
    Good news for him is that in a few years it will look like FCS in CUSA

Big Dog BCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Morris at UIW is decent.
    Upside:
    He is young and ambitious
    He has a great Texas Tech pedigree
    He is offense minded
    Has some big wins in FCS and knows how to go for conference championships

Downside:
    Risk of bringing an FCS coach (but there is risk with anyone)
    I believe he is only 23-17 as a head coach (not a great overall record)

The Texas Tech offense mindedness might outweigh the downside. I will add that he can probably recruit Texas and could do more at Tech than with an FCS UIW.
    Just went to the UIW football webpage. This guy looks promising. Up and comer. Not a "Name". We don't need a Name. We need a coach.

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

So if he beats out future conference mate Sam Houston he gets the job?

Puppy exflash Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeexflash Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeexflash Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeexflash Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeexflash Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeexflash Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeexflash Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeexflash Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeexflash Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeexflash Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeexflash Ultimate jerk and not worth your time exflash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    BTW, if we were to play SLU now, we'd get whipped! Well-coached teams get better as the season goes on. That ain't happening in Ruston right now.
    ……after seeing Louisiana/ULM last night, I agree with you…….ULM is very well coached and improving! Ask the tigers and Cajuns!

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Helped that the teams the c-hawks just played had a lame-duck coach and a coach about to cash in his meal ticket.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by JDubyadawg View Post
    Jeff Grimes, the OC at Baylor. Lot of experience at a number of schools. A little surprised his name hasn't surfaced more for HC jobs but he might just be one of those "journeyman" coaches.
    Grimes would be a good choice, but I don't think he'd come. I think he's looking at a P5 job in the next couple of years.

Champ buck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to behold

We will probably end up with Kevin Sumlin…

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buck_dawg_gold View Post
    We will probably end up with Kevin Sumlin…
    Or Matt Wells.

If we go that route and Diaz isn't an option I think Fuente would be my preference.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

I liked the Holtz hire because I wanted to see what Tech could become with some stability and someone who would stick around long enough to build the program and establish an identity. Now that that has failed I don’t see much hope for the program. Tech most likely will continue to be a program, much like the other G5’s, that is hit and miss and without consistency or identity. It will be good when it gets a good coach for a couple of years, mediocre when it has a long-term coach, and horrific when it gets a bad coach. Just have to hope to get lucky on the hire and then repeat…

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    I liked the Holtz hire because I wanted to see what Tech could become with some stability and someone who would stick around long enough to build the program and establish an identity. Now that that has failed I don’t see much hope for the program. Tech most likely will continue to be a program, much like the other G5’s, that is hit and miss and without consistency or identity. It will be good when it gets a good coach for a couple of years, mediocre when it has a long-term coach, and horrific when it gets a bad coach. Just have to hope to get lucky on the hire and then repeat…
    But that is not who we are. We are not LSU. We should NEVER hire for stability. At our level stability means NOBODY wants your coach.

Tech is not at a level to hire for stability. We are at a level to hire for growth! You should want a coach to come in that will be hired away in 3-4 years because he has built a tremendous winning program at the university. Whoever is the Tech AD always needs to be on the lookout for the next big thing in coaching. That is who we should hire. Always building, always growing. You hire for 3-4 years, put a big buyout in the contract, rinse and repeat. Tech should never hire for stability. That is dumb.

Bulldog veerbone has turned a few heads around hereveerbone has turned a few heads around hereveerbone has turned a few heads around hereveerbone has turned a few heads around hereveerbone has turned a few heads around here veerbone's Avatar

Someone on Twitter mention Rattay, Sloan, and Matt Wells.

Rattay may or may not be ready, I don't really know.

Sloan's whole career is basically attached to Holtz, so it doesn't make sense to fire Holtz to hire Sloan.

Wells was great at Utah State, and actually had more wins that Texas Tech this year when he was fired then he had the two previous year. Any insight as to why he would be attached to our opening, or what kind of coach he would be?

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    But that is not who we are. We are not LSU. We should NEVER hire for stability. At our level stability means NOBODY wants your coach.

Tech is not at a level to hire for stability. We are at a level to hire for growth! You should want a coach to come in that will be hired away in 3-4 years because he has built a tremendous winning program at the university. Whoever is the Tech AD always needs to be on the lookout for the next big thing in coaching. That is who we should hire. Always building, always growing. You hire for 3-4 years, put a big buyout in the contract, rinse and repeat. Tech should never hire for stability. That is dumb.
    Exactly! If our identity is air raid offense and opportunistic defense, then make sure every hire we make it built to facilitate that.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post

Good point. It’s just frustrating that when Tech finally gets good (Crowton, Dykes), they have to fall back into mediocrity (Bicknell, Dooley, Holtz). It seems hopeless that Tech will ever establish consistency as a winner. The best to hope for is 1 great season every 10 years or so. Yuck!

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by veerbone View Post
    Someone on Twitter mention Rattay, Sloan, and Matt Wells.

Rattay may or may not be ready, I don't really know.

Sloan's whole career is basically attached to Holtz, so it doesn't make sense to fire Holtz to hire Sloan.

Wells was great at Utah State, and actually had more wins that Texas Tech this year when he was fired then he had the two previous year. Any insight as to why he would be attached to our opening, or what kind of coach he would be?
    I’ve seen Sloan’s name come up, and for the life of me I can’t understand why. What in the world has Sloan done at Tech to even warrant an interview?

+ Reply to Thread