+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: We keep Skippy but LSU reaches separation agreement with Orgeron

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: We keep Skippy but LSU reaches separation agreement with Orgeron

My Point: Others seek excellence and act. We seek rock bottom before we act. Holtz is not going to change so we know, at best, we go bowling. Bowling is not a high bar. Even winning bowls is not a high bar. My evidence is our dwindling fan support

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

When the final seconds ticked off that night in Shreveport....Tech 14 Miami 0 and we were 10-3, I thought, well maybe ole Skip has finally cracked that glass ceiling. Last year, 5-5, and his first bowl loss here, was a disappointment, but it was a nutso year and Tech was particularly hard hit by the virus, and players opting out, and then key injuries, so I gave him a pass. I was very concerned coming into this season, personnel-wise. We didn't have a QB and we were depleted elsewhere. Then Holtz and the staff seemed to do a good job using the transfer portal and in his own words, Coach Holtz had "the most talented and deepest team he has had here." Wow! I thought. Okay! The three losses were tough, but we lost close games to good teams, two of those road games. Had a bye week to recuperate and get ready for a 7-game sweep...the table was set. Alas, the Dawgs couldn't even find their seats at the table last night.

There is always a measure of blame to go around, and that includes the players too. They know what good football looks like, and don't have to have someone holding their hand every step of the way. But mostly, a crash and burn like this is a systemic issue. It goes straight to the top. The team was not ready to play. That's coaching (or the lack of it...).

So now, since that good night in S'port Skippy's bunch is 7-9 and staring at at least 3 more losses for sure. Nope! no more excuses. Bye Skippy...

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    My Point: Others seek excellence and act. We seek rock bottom before we act. Holtz is not going to change so we know, at best, we go bowling. Bowling is not a high bar. Even winning bowls is not a high bar. My evidence is our dwindling fan support
    And my point is, we’re better off now than USM is. They sought excellence and struck out after Fedora. That doesn’t mean it’s not time to act, but it does mean we can’t mail it in.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I’m not sure we are better off than USM. I’m betting USM still has a much larger fan following than us. They also fired a coach who owned Skip. I don’t expect us to get rid of Holtz for anything better than 5 wins. He may survive with the two we have.

Champ Dowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond repute Dowty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    Exactly. Compare any state’s doctor/lawyer university to the engineering school and the big money always seems to be at the former.
    I had a professor at Tech tell me once that he was upset with his choice in life to become a doctor. I asked why, and he said because M.D. stood for money doctor and PhD stood for poor hungry doctor, and he didn’t realize that until it was too late

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dowty View Post
    I had a professor at Tech tell me once that he was upset with his choice in life to become a doctor. I asked why, and he said because M.D. stood for money doctor and PhD stood for poor hungry doctor, and he didn’t realize that until it was too late
    Upali?

I’m not sure we are better off than USM. I’m betting USM still has a much larger fan following than us. They also fired a coach who owned Skip. I don’t expect us to get rid of Holtz for anything better than 5 wins. He may survive with the two we have.
    I don’t know what the numbers are. I do know their attendance (at least what’s reported) is great for how bad they are this year. Of course, the metro area has more than 3 times the population of Lincoln parish.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    I don’t know what the numbers are. I do know their attendance (at least what’s reported) is great for how bad they are this year. Of course, the metro area has more than 3 times the population of Lincoln parish.
    our fan base comes from a limited population area but certainly much larger than Lincoln Parish. USM = Metro? I’ll see that “metro” and raise you over 250k within one hour of Ruston.

our fan base comes from a limited population area but certainly much larger than Lincoln Parish. USM = Metro? I’ll see that “metro” and raise you over 250k within one hour of Ruston.
    Not sure what all is included in that metro, but the population is listed at just under 150K. Gotta go a good 30 minutes to get anywhere close to that from Ruston. Point being, people will even go watch crappy teams if it’s easy and convenient.

Our admin could certainly learn a few things from there’s about tailgating. Just don’t think they can teach us much about replacing coaches.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bone_afide_Dawg View Post
    What makes you think he hasn’t? What I saw yesterday on the field from the players and heard Holtz say afterwards tells me he’s done, he’s finished coaching and just wants someone to tell him that it’s over. It’s the relief he’s been coaching so poorly for.
    Oh i think he is done. What i meant is how are we not talking about his buyout is beyond me.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3 View Post
    ...when you have money to burn...
    $16.8 million worth.

Ouachita and Lincoln combined is over 150k. You more than double that by going 1 hour west. It’s really a meaningless figure but I like to use it when USMs meaningless figures are thrown out as excuses for us. We suck at attendance because our leaders have always sucked at reaching out to Tech attendees and grads. Bill Graham did better with his limited resources than our people have done with 7 bowl games in a row and modern technology

Ouachita and Lincoln combined is over 150k. You more than double that by going 1 hour west. It’s really a meaningless figure but I like to use it when USMs meaningless figures are thrown out as excuses for us. We suck at attendance because our leaders have always sucked at reaching out to Tech attendees and grads. Bill Graham did better with his limited resources than our people have done with 7 bowl games in a row and modern technology
    It’s not an excuse, just don’t act like it’s an apples to apples comparison. It’s not.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    It’s not an excuse, just don’t act like it’s an apples to apples comparison. It’s not.
    I agree. We have a distinct advantage that we’ve never taken advantage of. Friggin Hattisburg? Really?

I agree. We have a distinct advantage that we’ve never taken advantage of. Friggin Hattisburg? Really?
    Yes. I never spent any time there until my brother moved there. If your goal is to fill a stadium, you’d rather it be in Hattiesburg than Ruston.

And if we’re talking surrounding areas, Gulfport, Biloxi, Jackson, and New Orleans, are all less than two hours from Hattiesburg.

+ Reply to Thread