+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If it's true So. Miss to the Sun Belt...

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: If it's true So. Miss to the Sun Belt...

Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe View Post
    I have an old friend that is deeply involved with USM athletics. This morning he told me that USM is moving to the SBC as soon as possible. It is 100% certainty.

I asked about LaTech moving to the SBC and he stated that he knows if no other schools joining or leaving the SBC.
    What advantage hath the Sunbelt?

Not being snarky, why is the SBC better than the gutted CUSA? Both seem to be much in the same boat to me.

Laughette GEAUX UL Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeGEAUX UL Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeGEAUX UL Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeGEAUX UL Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeGEAUX UL Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeGEAUX UL Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeGEAUX UL Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeGEAUX UL Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeGEAUX UL Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeGEAUX UL Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeGEAUX UL Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post

Not being snarky, why is the SBC better than the gutted CUSA? Both seem to be much in the same boat to me.
    Also not being snarky. The SBC has better football, earns more in cfp payouts as a result, has much lower travel costs, has a more lucrative media deal, and has more national exposure.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post

I don't think "better" is necessarily THE reason USM is supposedly leaving for the Sun Belt. USM hasn't come at this decision easily, that isn't the way they roll in Hattiesburg. If they go to the SBC, that means that USM has looked at everything they can envision at this time...and they've made the decision that for USM, the Sun Belt makes the most sense.

I sincerely wish them the best, they've been good conference mates.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by GEAUX UL View Post
    Also not being snarky. The SBC has better football, earns more in cfp payouts as a result, has much lower travel costs, has a more lucrative media deal, and has more national exposure.
    They do not have more national exposure. Their football has done better than CUSA over about 1 and a half years. Other than that, there is no name brand in that conference. Ask most people who Appy State is and they would not know. Even more, they probably think most of the Belt is FCS. I think it is unbelievably short sighted for USM to join, if they do.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

No matter what happens, I’ll be glad to be rid of CUAB. I’d rather share a conference with anybody but those obnoxious pricks. I figure once the dust settles we will wind up in the Sunbelt. Maybe not this round, but soon. Tech adds too much for them to spite just because of past history.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I think it boils down to the question -

Do you want to be associated with

Southern Miss
    USL
    Arkansas St
    South Alabama
    Troy

or

ODU
    JMU
    FIU
    MTSU

To me, I'll take the former not the later

If you remove your blue and red goggles you can see with more clarity

Now the question remains will we even be issued an invite? That remains to be seen and tea leaves don't look promising

Either way - I've basically reconciled myself to the fact I'm going to start spending alot more of my disposable income on me and mine instead of propping up Tech
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Varsity Bulldog talonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to behold

Belt will be gaining a real dumpster fire with USM. Yes we have some history. Yes we have decent facilities and fan support.
    But it looks as though 3 of our last 5 coaching hires don't belong in D-1 football. We can still right the ship but the clock is ticking.
    The decline of USM Football really damaged CUSA.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    I think it boils down to the question -

Do you want to be associated with

Southern Miss
    USL
    Arkansas St
    South Alabama
    Troy

or

ODU
    JMU
    FIU
    MTSU

To me, I'll take the former not the later

If you remove your blue and red goggles you can see with more clarity

Now the question remains will we even be issued an invite? That remains to be seen and tea leaves don't look promising

Either way - I've basically reconciled myself to the fact I'm going to start spending alot more of my disposable income on me and mine instead of propping up Tech
    The other choice is:
    SMU
    Tulsa
    Tulane, etc..

My hope is that our goal is that and not settling for less. I know most of us are not privy to the internal discussions, but I haven't seen anything at all stating that we do not have a chance. Anyway, I am always the optimist (as most of you label me), so I will keep holding on to the chance. I was wrong about getting in CUSA on the first round over UTEP, but we did get in on the next round soon after. I have no clue what will happen, so I may as well hope for the best... It is certainly better than hoping for the alternative, which are the two choices you posted.

I will, also, add that one conference having a couple of good years does not make it that much better than the current one. I would have thought Southern Miss would have figured that out. The Belt is still the Belt and a year and a half of being decent in football will not change that. I would venture to say that they will not continue any success for any sustained period of time. We are WAY too reactive to a year of success.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    The other choice is:
    SMU
    Tulsa
    Tulane, etc..

My hope is that our goal is that and not settling for less. I know most of us are not privy to the internal discussions, but I haven't seen anything at all stating that we do not have a chance. Anyway, I am always the optimist (as most of you label me), so I will keep holding on to the chance. I was wrong about getting in CUSA on the first round over UTEP, but we did get in on the next round soon after. I have no clue what will happen, so I may as well hope for the best... It is certainly better than hoping for the alternative, which are the two choices you posted.
    Ironically, the C-USA invite to UTEP will be it's ultimate undoing. UTEP really belongs in the MWC, NOT C-USA. It is an outlier that has drained the regional pocketbooks of the conference and failed to add any real value in it's time in the C-USA.

So ultimately Memphis killed the C-USA.

Laughette GEAUX UL Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeGEAUX UL Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeGEAUX UL Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeGEAUX UL Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeGEAUX UL Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeGEAUX UL Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeGEAUX UL Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeGEAUX UL Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeGEAUX UL Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeGEAUX UL Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeGEAUX UL Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

They do not have more national exposure. Their football has done better than CUSA over about 1 and a half years. Other than that, there is no name brand in that conference. Ask most people who Appy State is and they would not know. Even more, they probably think most of the Belt is FCS. I think it is unbelievably short sighted for USM to join, if they do.
    The SBC has beaten C-USA in every legitimate ranking (like the CFP) for the past three years, and it will almost certainly happen this year too.

As far as national exposure is concerned, C-USA basically has none. Your conference games are on channels or platforms that nobody has, and nobody watches. The SBC is an ESPN conference. They have weekly conference games on ESPN and ESPN2. ESPN talks about Sun Belt games on College Gameday and Sportscenter.

And given that App State has been ranked 2 or 3 times in the past few years, if someone really thinks they are FCS then they clearly aren’t a real college football fan.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

The other choice is:
    SMU
    Tulsa
    Tulane, etc..

That is a wish -

Not a choice

There is a difference
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

The SBC has beaten C-USA in every legitimate ranking (like the CFP) for the past three years, and it will almost certainly happen this year too.

As far as national exposure is concerned, C-USA basically has none. Your conference games are on channels or platforms that nobody has, and nobody watches. The SBC is an ESPN conference. They have weekly conference games on ESPN and ESPN2. ESPN talks about Sun Belt games on College Gameday and Sportscenter.

And given that App State has been ranked 2 or 3 times in the past few years, if someone really thinks they are FCS then they clearly aren’t a real college football fan.
    The Belt being an ESPN conference is the reason that Tech will end up in the Belt if CUSA dissolves.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    The Belt being an ESPN conference is the reason that Tech will end up in the Belt if CUSA dissolves.
    I seriously doubt it. USM is first in line in the West, and the Sun Belt will be looking East for expansion after that.

The only chance you would have is if ULM decides to drop down to FCS, but that’s probably not going to happen.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

I seriously doubt it. USM is first in line in the West, and the Sun Belt will be looking East for expansion after that.

The only chance you would have is if ULM decides to drop down to FCS, but that’s probably not going to happen.
    Damn you really are obsessed with Tech.

You have spent more time on our boards than the RaginPagin.

+ Reply to Thread