+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Now The Time to Move Forward

Bulldog jycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the ears

Re: It's Now The Time to Move Forward

How much would it cost to fire this guy? (serious question). Does La Tech have that amount of $$$ - whatever it is? Making an assumption that the AD or pres actually give a damn, (big assumption), could part of the issue be that we don't have the $$$ to buy him out?

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jycww View Post
    How much would it cost to fire this guy? (serious question). Does La Tech have that amount of $$$ - whatever it is? Making an assumption that the AD or pres actually give a damn, (big assumption), could part of the issue be that we don't have the $$$ to buy him out?
    The money would be there if it was wanted. You can schedule 1 money game and get the money.

The BIGGER question is what is the COST of keeping Skip Holtz. This is the question that a serious AD should be asking. If that cost (to the program) is greater than the buyout (which I think it is), then you need to fire him now.

I have been watching this all season and Skip has finally started moving up the list. Nobody on the board wants to lose games, but many on this board realize a short term pain is sometimes necessary to remove a long term problem. Somehow squeaking out 6 wins and going to a meaningless bowl game WON'T help Tech long term. The only way the powers that be wake up is ULM continuing to win and Tech continuing to lose.

And honestly, if Skip is willing to admit it, his heart isn't in it. He's done. Everyone can tell except Skip. He has no real spark for the game anymore. He is just going through the motions of being a coach.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Just wait until he loses at ODU this week. ODU hasn't won an FBS football game since beating UNT on Nov 10, 2018. That's 3 years ago. Holtz can literally resurrect ODU football from the ashes this week.
    Should have been our major selling point: We make you look good enough to compete for the National Championship.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    people don’t quite get that either. If you can redirect a persons anger, it can still be useful, but there is absolutely nothing you can do about apathy.
    This is were we were in Bicknell's last two years. Difference now is we've already spent all our ammo between our former AD's goofy moves and poorly coached games we should have won over the past 9 years.

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post

...And honestly, if Skip is willing to admit it, his heart isn't in it. He's done. Everyone can tell except Skip. He has no real spark for the game anymore. He is just going through the motions of being a coach.
    I beg to differ. If you heard Holtz on the radio last night after the game, he sounded like someone who wanted to be put out of his misery of having to coach through the rest of this season. He knows the team is heartless at this point and what’s even worse is that he’s totally whopped. Skip’s old slight of hand tricks of playing to let the other team eventually lose the game aren’t going to work anymore because his schemes are way too simplistic and the Bulldogs are just simply the lesser capable team on the field these days. We’re now like the opponents 2nd team practice game. Holtz has coached our guys down so far that there’s no coming back for them. They’re like football comatose at this point. They can’t do anything right for all they do wrong.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    This is were we were in Bicknell's last two years. Difference now is we've already spent all our ammo between our former AD's goofy moves and poorly coached games we should have won over the past 9 years.
    Yep. The worst game I’ve ever been to in the Joe was the last game of the year vs Rice in 2003. It’s the worst physical beating I’ve ever seen us take. I don’t remember how many yards rushing Rice had, but it was north of 500 yards. 2004 was another bad year, but 2005 was better, that’s the year Kubik was QB and we beat Fresno at home. 2006 was the worst year of Tech football since I’ve been a fan as a whole, but I think 2021 will take its place.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    The money would be there if it was wanted. You can schedule 1 money game and get the money.

The BIGGER question is what is the COST of keeping Skip Holtz. This is the question that a serious AD should be asking. If that cost (to the program) is greater than the buyout (which I think it is), then you need to fire him now.

I have been watching this all season and Skip has finally started moving up the list. Nobody on the board wants to lose games, but many on this board realize a short term pain is sometimes necessary to remove a long term problem. Somehow squeaking out 6 wins and going to a meaningless bowl game WON'T help Tech long term. The only way the powers that be wake up is ULM continuing to win and Tech continuing to lose.

And honestly, if Skip is willing to admit it, his heart isn't in it. He's done. Everyone can tell except Skip. He has no real spark for the game anymore. He is just going through the motions of being a coach.
    Yep. Skip is "mailing it in", every week now. And he thinks if he can just get to 6 wins and get a bowl invite, he's home free. And the sad truth is, he's probably right.

Varsity Bulldog collardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to behold collardgreens's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lotsudo View Post
    The Skippy Experiment has run its course. Its time for Tech to find a new direction
    I'm grateful for the consistent winning Coach Holtz has brought to Tech. It's hard to argue with 7 straight bowl games and 6 wins. But, I concur....it is time. The team has massively under-performed and it's on the coach...no one else.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Yep. Skip is "mailing it in", every week now. And he thinks if he can just get to 6 wins and get a bowl invite, he's home free. And the sad truth is, he's probably right.
    He is right, if he gets to 6 wins and a bowl. Truthfully, he could go 2-10 and he'll still be back for another year. The money folks will just write it off as an anomaly, a rare off-season(off as in "bad'), and give him the old, "vote of confidence." Holtz will be our coach at the start of the 2022 season. Now, if he does struggle to a 2-10, or up to a 4-8 season this year, and starts off bad next year...like 0-3, 1-5 out of the gate, well then, his seat might actually heat up.

Big Dog BCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Make that two...

Luke said somethin to the effect of, "Well, Coach we still kind of believe in y'all..." that in reference to making a bowl.

Heck, Malcolm, Teddy, and Luke spent most of the 4th qtr talking about the Miami games from 20 years ago.

BTW, this was the first time in 45 years of attending a Tech football game I left early. I was walking out just as Sincere M. broke off that long TD run early in the 4th. I stayed to the final whistle of some bad losses...like the 60-0 loss to Andre Ware and the Houston Cougars in S'port. But, I could never walk out on the Dawgs...until last night. Mostly a reflection on Skippy but also, as each of us is in command of our own mindset, I have lost interest in sports in general, and simply don't care anymore.

The opposite of love is not hate...it's apathy.
    I watched Joe Raymond coach his first game as head coach in Starkville against MS State...a close loss. I too was in Shreveport the next week for that beat down. I was in Houston several years later in the Astrodome listening to that gawd awful siren every time Houston scored in that 73-3 loss. I sat through hearing Rocky top played over and over at Tennessee. I also dang near cried in the stands as we beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa with Rattay with Crowton coaching when we won 26-20. Not to mention all the great wins and awful losses at home through the years. Heck, so many of those games through the years we knew we were under manned and needed a miracle to even come close to winning, but by golly we went into those contests BELIEVING we could win. It wasn't about competing...it was about going in there and WINNING.

But I'm worn out after 8 1/2 years of Holtz. He's taken all the fun out of it. We've COMPETED one too many times for my taste. I dadgumit want to WIN. I want to look forward to going to a game and be excited about the possibilities.

I'm apathetic. I'm tired. I'm done with Holtz football. My snail mail letter to Dr. Guice and Dr. Wood is ready to mail tomorrow with my views on the decision THEY MUST MAKE.

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BCSDAWG View Post
    I watched Joe Raymond coach his first game as head coach in Starkville against MS State...a close loss. I too was in Shreveport the next week for that beat down. I was in Houston several years later in the Astrodome listening to that gawd awful siren every time Houston scored in that 73-3 loss. I sat through hearing Rocky top played over and over at Tennessee. I also dang near cried in the stands as we beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa with Rattay with Crowton coaching when we won 26-20. Not to mention all the great wins and awful losses at home through the years. Heck, so many of those games through the years we knew we were under manned and needed a miracle to even come close to winning, but by golly we went into those contests BELIEVING we could win. It wasn't about competing...it was about going in there and WINNING.

But I'm worn out after 8 1/2 years of Holtz. He's taken all the fun out of it. We've COMPETED one too many times for my taste. I dadgumit want to WIN. I want to look forward to going to a game and be excited about the possibilities.

I'm apathetic. I'm tired. I'm done with Holtz football. My snail mail letter to Dr. Guice and Dr. Wood is ready to mail tomorrow with my views on the decision THEY MUST MAKE.
    I agree with you on all points, believing, winning, and just being plain old worn out.

When my Daughter started TECH four years ago, I thought "OH BOY" excuses to make all home games and travel to a few, man were my hopes ever dashed.

I walked out of the UAB game at the Joe I believe three years ago, but not before I stood up and yelled some not so family friendly words at HCSH and backed it up with some sign language. Immediately after I did that I was embarrassed and ashamed, one of the most classless acts I have ever done. I decided if a coach could lead me to do something like that, I should not be at the games and I have not been back.

At that game I determined again, that HCSH could not lead a comeback if he wanted to so no need to stay. In the former years we always stayed because we knew there was a chance.

Champ FriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond repute FriscoDog's Avatar

I think it is now time to move forward on multiple fronts.. People were commenting on Guice, and I think they are spot on.. Let's take a look at this from the 50,000 ft level. From an athletics perspective, we are not much better off than we were decades ago.. no significant progress in any sport where we have dominated our conference. No big wins in terms of football, basketball and until last year, nothing for baseball. Let's look at academics.. In 82 when I started at Tech, the Petroleum Engineer program was one of the top 5 in the nation. We also had other nationally top 10 programs. Today I am not aware of any top 10 programs in the nation. Also from a student population perspective, our student population is approximately the same now as it was in 1982. Other schools in the state have shown huge progress in terms of enrollments. SELU and ULL are both near 20K in student enrollment.

My question is, after 40 years, what have we significantly accomplished? I love Tech.. we should own Louisiana for everything Alexandria and North, and South Arkansas, but we don't. We should have a big presence in the DFW area as there are tens of thousands of alumni here.. but we don't. My question to everyone is why? Please help explain this to me.

Bulldog veerbone has turned a few heads around hereveerbone has turned a few heads around hereveerbone has turned a few heads around hereveerbone has turned a few heads around hereveerbone has turned a few heads around here veerbone's Avatar

LaTech Re: It's Now The Time to Move Forward

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDog View Post
    Also from a student population perspective, our student population is approximately the same now as it was in 1982. Other schools in the state have shown huge progress in terms of enrollments. SELU and ULL are both near 20K in student enrollment.
    This is the only one I have hesitation on. If we have to lower standards to increase enrollment, I'm not sure that benefits us a lot. I'd love to be at 20k+ but not at the expense of the standards.

As far as everything else, I agree. We're not seeing big wins despite the success on the field and court.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDog View Post
    I think it is now time to move forward on multiple fronts.. People were commenting on Guice, and I think they are spot on.. Let's take a look at this from the 50,000 ft level. From an athletics perspective, we are not much better off than we were decades ago.. no significant progress in any sport where we have dominated our conference. No big wins in terms of football, basketball and until last year, nothing for baseball. Let's look at academics.. In 82 when I started at Tech, the Petroleum Engineer program was one of the top 5 in the nation. We also had other nationally top 10 programs. Today I am not aware of any top 10 programs in the nation. Also from a student population perspective, our student population is approximately the same now as it was in 1982. Other schools in the state have shown huge progress in terms of enrollments. SELU and ULL are both near 20K in student enrollment.

My question is, after 40 years, what have we significantly accomplished? I love Tech.. we should own Louisiana for everything Alexandria and North, and South Arkansas, but we don't. We should have a big presence in the DFW area as there are tens of thousands of alumni here.. but we don't. My question to everyone is why? Please help explain this to me.
    I haven't dove deep into the specifics, but my impression is that we don't have much going on in terms of Tier 1 Research these days. Big grants are (unfortunately) the lifeblood of a research university and they help drive improvements down at the u/g level. Eg, do we have any NSF Career Grant professors?

Champ parisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond repute parisdog's Avatar

Why are big grants drying up?

+ Reply to Thread