+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious Conference Realignment Discussion

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Serious Conference Realignment Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Why?
    I'll add one thing to the last few posts. I would want to be in the AAC, or the MWC for that matter, rather than the new CUSA or the SBC a few years from now.

If a split does happen I would want to be in a league that has a chance of being included in whatever the new FBS looks like.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3 View Post
    1. Money
    2. Exposure to recruits and our largest bases of alumni outside of Louisiana (DFW, HOU, SA)
    3. Fan Interest in divisional play against Rice/UTSA/UNT/Memphis (if they're still around at that time) I think would be a lot better, than against Sam Houston State and Jacksonville (Alabama-not-Florida-and-not-the-school-Deion-Sanders-coaches-at) State.
    I’ll buy #2, but #s 1 and 3 are just hopes and wishes. Sure, I’d take the AAC over NewSA, but I don’t know that I would take it over the Belt given the folks that would have to leave to get us in.

MWC is absolutely an upgrade, but that seems only slightly less likely than a Big12 invite.
    Last edited by johnnylightnin; 12-23-2021 at 11:59 AM.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Besides I’m not so sure the Big12 is done expanding.

They cauterized the wound, but if I’m West Virginia I might start looking to the ACC.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    Besides I’m not so sure the Big12 is done expanding.

They cauterized the wound, but if I’m West Virginia I might start looking to the ACC.
    Didn’t the ACC already shun them once? If I was them, I would be reaching out to another team East of the Mississippi so they have at least something resembling a travel partner.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Didn’t the ACC already shun them once? If I was them, I would be reaching out to another team East of the Mississippi so they have at least something resembling a travel partner.
    Other than Cincinnati? And UCF, I guess?

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

I’m still praying for a MWC or B12 invite with SMU, Tulsa and Memphis. Louisiana recruiting inroads (along with Texas and Oklahoma is a huge get for the MWC travel nor the B12. They’re historically stupid per those type decisions. And I don’t think Tulane has the stomach for the MWC; which we’ve basically done before in the old WAC and should do again in a heartbeat!

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Maybe, but times have changed and Clemson has fallen back down to earth. Florida St and Miami are struggling. Dabo will be gone when Saban retires.

WV is a decent ranked school year in and year out.

Also if I’m Iowa State, the BigTen would be a much better fit geographically and culturally.

They are on an island up north. Big12 minus Oklahoma and Texas isn’t near as good looking as it used to be for P5s.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe, but times have changed and Clemson has fallen back down to earth. Florida St and Miami are struggling. Dabo will be gone when Saban retires.

Also if I’m Iowa State, the BigTen would be a much better fit geographically and culturally.

They are on an island up north. Big12 minus Oklahoma and Texas isn’t near as good looking as it used to be for P5s.
    All the more reason for WVU to go ACC.
    And I don’t think ISU has the education /candle power academics for the B10.

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    I’m still praying for a MWC or B12 invite with SMU, Tulsa and Memphis. Louisiana recruiting inroads (along with Texas and Oklahoma is a huge get for the MWC travel nor the B12. They’re historically stupid per those type decisions. And I don’t think Tulane has the stomach for the MWC; which we’ve basically done before in the old WAC and should do again in a heartbeat!
    The MWC will not consider Tech at all. They will only go farther east to get into Texas markets. Big 12? We better start selling out our stadium now and planning on getting 40,000 minimum for attendance soon.

The ACC snubbed WV before due to academics and market. However after letting Louisville in and seeing how vulnerable they are after Maryland's departure, they may reconsider WV this time and possibly go after Cincinnati as well. However getting both would require letting go of Notre Dame most likely.

The B1G is not going to take Iowa State since they already have Iowa. They don't need another team in a small state. Kansas could be an option due to their basketball but it's a long shot for them also. The B1G has always wanted Notre Dame but it never seems likely to happen. There aren't many attractive options for the B1G to expand with though.

Varsity Bulldog Exes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really nice

[QUOTE=revf;1822528]Besides I’m not so sure the Big12 is done expanding.

They cauterized the wound, but if I’m West Virginia I might start looking to the ACC.[/QUOTE

Two of the most monumental mistakes made in sports by any universities was Tulane and Georgia Tech leaving the SEC. I dont think we would ever see teams like Vanderbilt and West Va making the same, they are glued in.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

The Big 12 is about to be the weakest sister of the P5.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, but I would rather be in the weakest sister P5, than a G5. I believe the B12 will undergo changes similar to what the Big East did. Their big teams that were left behind will leave and, possibly, take the name. Think about AAC and the Big East and watch what happens. As soon as they expand again and include SMU, Tulsa, etc... Okie State, Baylor, TCU, and a few of the others will be bolting. A new P5 will emerge with the B12 name and the schools that moved over recently will have to form a G5.

Saying that, I would take that G5 (which would be similar to what the AAC is now). This is like a game of chess and the G5's that are playing checkers are losing. We have been one of those, but CAN change our game if we try. I should add that I hope our administration IS playing chess and we just don't know about it....

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I should add that I hope our administration IS playing chess and we just don't know about it....
    I’m afraid that’s a long shot. Tech is typically for more reactive to situations than proactive. We act like we’re too lazy to seriously prepare for the future. One thing is for sure, we’re never in the front wave of anything, always playing the part of a tag-along or want-to-be.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Or is it? Iowa State can be much more competitive in the NEW Big XII than they ever were in the old Big XII that had OU & Texas in it.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Maybe. But maybe not. What does "weakest sister" really mean when the teams "left behind" are the ones winning all the championships?

A Big XII team NOT NAMED OU or TEXAS just won the men's basketball national championship this past season, currently sits at #1 in the 2021-22 polls, and has been known to win multiple national titles in women's BB too. That same school also won the Big XII FOOTBALL Championship this past season by defeating both Texas and OU, and winning the Big XII Football Championship game.

Facts are facts.

+ Reply to Thread