+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious Conference Realignment Discussion

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Re: Serious Conference Realignment Discussion

Pete Thamel
    @PeteThamel
    Source: Both McNeese State University and the University of Incarnate Word are departing the Southland Conference with the intention to join the WAC.

Varsity Bulldog SouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Wasnt Army kicked out of CUSA earlier this century for sucking at football? I cant imagine there's much love lost there
    Yes, but wouldn't you say they are much better now. Plus the other 2 are in conference and are usually pretty competitive.

Champ roughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to behold roughedge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dj95 View Post
    https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/s...248460804?s=20

Liberty, NMSU, Sam Houston, and Jacksonville State
    At least Sam Houston & Jacksonville St are a semi-reasonable drive.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    Pete Thamel
    @PeteThamel
    Source: Both McNeese State University and the University of Incarnate Word are departing the Southland Conference with the intention to join the WAC.
    I think the WAC has been planning a long term collective jump back to FBS. CUSA taking some of the better/more ready schools from them (or that might have been options for them) will hurt these plans, I guess. So funny how Texas and OU can potentially affect UT-RGV or Seattle University isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernMiss3613 View Post
    Yes, but wouldn't you say they are much better now. Plus the other 2 are in conference and are usually pretty competitive.
    I think Army is choosing not to be in a conference. I kind of think they could have had one of the seats in the AAC if they had wanted it (or returned to CUSA in 2013/14). They're unique in a lot of ways, and I think they like things better as an Independent. I'm sure there are some trade-offs there, but they're one of the very few schools for whom it makes some sense.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LEEDAWG View Post
    I am not yet convinced the Exit Fees will be paid. I expect there will be significant legal efforts by the departing to avoid paying them to what will at best be the skeleton of a conference in tack.

I am not sure how this conference will survive.
    Do the pros outweigh the cons of far-away independents joining c-usa (can't really be all caps C-USA anymore)?
    Do the pros outweigh the cons of regional FCS schools moving to FBS/c-usa especially if they are succeeding at the FBS level?

Looking like c-usa will pretty much be starting over from scratch if able to at all. What gives the best upside for the conference... being stretched out from New Mexico to Massachusetts or going with southern FCS schools hoping they will strengthen?

I thought there were athletic program requirements for schools to be FBS. Are those requirements staying in place? It can't be a simple or inexpensive step for a school to move from FCS to FBS. I don't really understand how c-usa can pull programs from the FCS level like it is an easy answer to the problem.
    I think there has been enough of a pause on FCS schools moving to FBS that a number have been moving that direction for some time now (I think the Southland break-up is about long term commitment levels to athletics - as mentioned above, I really think there was a plan for the WAC to develop some FCS schools to maybe bump up all at once + NMSU). They'll have to meet the requirements eventually, but when the Sunbelt added football they had a number of schools that had to transition to FBS, CUSA did this with Charlotte and ODU when we joined.

If you can get the fees, it's a no brainer. Worth doing in the short term (for the remaining schools) for that reason alone. But you've also got the auto-bids to protect (which is why my conspiracy theory is that it's in the interest of the other G5 teams to just put CUSA all the way out of business even if they have to take on conference members they're not crazy about - with 14-16 teams per conference in some ways the stakes are lower anyway).

If CUSA is going to survive, the fact that it's spread out from New Mexico to Miami just means you have to either keep it really small or (try to) go pretty big (at least 12). It seems like the play would be to keep it small, and just accept the risk that when/if there is another shuffle (however small) there is a chance you lose a team (probably a "better" one in terms of on-field or market) and have to scramble to survive again with no cushion. But I'd still be shooting for the bare minimum to keep auto-bids and a share of the FBS playoff money. That way you can counter the travel with more regional OOC games (or extra money games).

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    If you can get the fees, it's a no brainer. Worth doing in the short term (for the remaining schools) for that reason alone.
    If that's true, it makes you wonder what MTSU, WKU, USM, Marshall, and ODU see that we, apparently, do not.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    If that's true, it makes you wonder what MTSU, WKU, USM, Marshall, and ODU see that we, apparently, do not.
    Oh - I only meant no-brainer vs. going independent or something. I think what they see is an email in the inbox that says "wanna join?" That's what they're seeing that we're not.

If the SB or AAC offers, that becomes the no-brainer decision (increased ULL interactions online notwithstanding). Heck, you'd have to listen (as Tech) to the MAC or MWC. And probably take it. MAC more automatic for MTSU and WKY, especially as a package.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    I've seen that Marshall did not have to pay entry fees ($2 million) to get into SBC, so only net $1 million loss.

I've seen that Marshall did not have to pay entry fees ($2 million) to get into SBC, so only net $1 million loss.
    That was something else I was wondering about. I suppose we don't have enough leverage (because while I think the schools we might target have likely been eyeing a move to FBS, I don't know that any were just champing at the bit to do it over the next couple of years) but it'd be pretty sweet to get buy-out fees from a gazillion teams plus entry fees from another handful (as few as possible).

But, we are operating from a position of weakness, everyone know we need bodies, and everyone knows it's a marriage of convenience and anyone would (and should) leave as soon as they have a better option (and that while this is always true for almost all conferences, it's at least somewhat likely here and there isn't a lot of commonality to connect the schools overall). So I can't imagine we can get anything in terms of entry fees. They're doing us the favor here (in their own interest as well, obviously).

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I wonder if that's a deal we could've gotten had we tried. I've seen no indication that we were proactive with the belt.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Tech52 View Post
    Tech isnt expensive for people in Louisiana.
    Tech cannot survive on Louisiana students alone.

Conference USA adding four teams but seeking one more after being gutted during realignment - CBSSports.com

Sources tell CBS Sports that Conference USA commissioner Judy MacLeod has received calls from up to 30 prospective members
    No clue what schools have called Judy, but she should add'em all. Then give all the rights to CBS using CBSSN & Paramount+. That'll show ESPN

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Conference USA adding four teams but seeking one more after being gutted during realignment - CBSSports.com

No clue what schools have called Judy, but she should add'em all. Then give all the rights to CBS using CBSSN & Paramount+. That'll show ESPN
    We need to hang around long enough to get exit fees, however we do it. Most of these schools that are leaving were sold the idea that CUSA would fold, and they wouldn't owe anything.

Champ Gladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    Tech cannot survive on Louisiana students alone.
    Also you can't fill a stadium with "Money come lately" fans

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gladzilla View Post
    Also you can't fill a stadium with "Money come lately" fans
    But you can't keep the school open on the academic side. If you try that with Louisiana student alone you would have to close the doors now days. Limited academic base in low population state, topped off by 36 four year schools. Granted some are tiny but they are there.

+ Reply to Thread