+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious Conference Realignment Discussion

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Serious Conference Realignment Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by DawgyNWindow View Post
    Personally, I think too much is being made of this whole conference thing. It's up to the individual universities to produce a viable product and sell themselves, especially at the G5 level. Anyone that thinks the Sunbelt is on the way up is delusional. They've had a couple of good years and that's it.

Paying fees, or foregoing revenues, to jump from one bottom feeder conference to another is a waste of money IMO. I'd rather pay to replace our coach with one that EXPECTS to win every game and instills the same in our players (much like Liberty has done since starting their program) is the way to go.

Are Southern Miss and Marshall really any better off by being in the Sunbelt?
    Honestly, the answer to your question will have to be answered by THEM after they've moved and played there a few years.

They obviously think that they ARE "better off", or they wouldn't have gone.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    May also be worth mentioning that they're currently the undefeated #1 ranked FCS team.
    And defending FCS champs.

SHSU right this second is a way better product on the field than UNT or Rice.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Personally, I think too much is being made of this whole conference thing. It's up to the individual universities to produce a viable product and sell themselves, especially at the G5 level. Anyone that thinks the Sunbelt is on the way up is delusional. They've had a couple of good years and that's it.

Paying fees, or foregoing revenues, to jump from one bottom feeder conference to another is a waste of money IMO. I'd rather pay to replace our coach with one that EXPECTS to win every game and instills the same in our players (much like Liberty has done since starting their program) is the way to go.

Better off than they were in today's CUSA? Meh. Seems like a draw at best.

Better off then they would have been after the AAC raid? Yeah, probably. At least you could see the logic.

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Something tells me there is another shoe yet to drop and it seems that Judy is wanting schools to have good rounded sports programs with a little emphasis on basketball. The conference has basically said they are comfortable where they are at for right now. It would be uncharacteristic for Judy to make a good move right now, but I am wondering if she has a surprise in store and if we will be happy with it.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Go to the "full site" instead of the mobile option.
    Thanks👍

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3 View Post
    Honestly, the answer to your question will have to be answered by THEM after they've moved and played there a few years.

They obviously think that they ARE "better off", or they wouldn't have gone.
    I can't imagine being a university leader (president or AD) and sitting in on numerous meetings being led by this idiot we have as C-USA commissioner. That alone is reason to seek other options. We never did. No we never sought the AAC either. Our AD said as much.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

I agree with most of what you posted here. I've decided that nobody really gives a crap about the G5 conferences anyway, so it really doesn't matter who your conference mates are. When Tech joined CUSA in 2013, I felt the same way about UNCC and ODU then, that we all feel today about Sam Houston. They were Newbies to FBS football, and offered no value to LA Tech. I was downright embarrassed for LA Tech to be sharing a conference with 'em.

But the truth is, in the long run it simply won't matter. These "no name" newbie schools in CUSA will eventually be as familiar to us as UNCC and ODU are today. Tech just needs to win some conference championships at SOMETHING. Maybe CUSA is watered down enough now that we can actually win a title.

The key is for the CUSA to STAY SMALL, and resist the temptation to add more schools. STAY SMALL! 8 to 10 full time members at MOST! No exceptions. EVER!

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

The only teams that can be added at this point are UConn, UMass, Army, and FCS teams.
    From here, we either accept being exiled to CUSA and hope can backfill, go Independent, or hope AAC or MWC will come calling.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I agree with most of what you posted here. I've decided that nobody really gives a crap about the G5 conferences anyway, so it really doesn't matter who your conference mates are. When Tech joined CUSA in 2013, I felt the same way about UNCC and ODU then, that we all feel today about Sam Houston. They were Newbies to FBS football, and offered no value to LA Tech. I was downright embarrassed for LA Tech to be sharing a conference with 'em.

But the truth is, in the long run it simply won't matter. These "no name" newbie schools in CUSA will eventually be as familiar to us as UNCC and ODU are today. Tech just needs to win some conference championships at SOMETHING. Maybe CUSA is watered down enough now that we can actually win a title.

The key is for the CUSA to STAY SMALL, and resist the temptation to add more schools. STAY SMALL! 8 to 10 full time members at MOST! No exceptions. EVER!
    Army won't consider FB only. Connecticut and Massachusetts add absolutely no value in FB right now being a combined 2-18 overall including 1-3 vs FCS teams. The only FBS win by either was the Massachusetts win over Connecticut.

IMO the only other FCS school prominently mentioned that provides value/potential is Missouri State. There is no reason to make any other move for all sports but them. Dallas Baptist for baseball only would be interesting.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post

Agree completely. And the league should insist on scheduling criteria in men's basketball and baseball that would allow the league leader to have a shot at an at-large bid every season.

Then insist that everyone continue to invest.

Let the Belt deal with the issue of having 14 schools at this level. Being one of the bottom 4 or 5 schools in a 14-team G5 league will eventually cause that losing to snowball for those schools. Then they become the anchor for the Belt the way Rice, Charlotte, FIU, ODU, and UTEP were an anchor for CUSA for so long.

The Belt had that advantage over CUSA and then just gave it away!

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    Army won't consider FB only.
    If I were the CUSA presidents I would pester Army. Gift bags, fruit baskets, and the occasional unannounced visit.

After presenting them with 100 reasons why they should join this version of CUSA, make them no. Again and again.

This is the league they've been looking for for football.

They've played a football series with most of the current FBS schools in CUSA over the past 10 years.

It's the perfect setup for them.

And I'm sure CUSA would agree to neutral sites the way Tech did in 2013 when we played Army in Dallas.

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    If I were the CUSA presidents I would pester Army. Gift bags, fruit baskets, and the occasional unannounced visit.

After presenting them with 100 reasons why they should join this version of CUSA, make them no. Again and again.

This is the league they've been looking for for football.

They've played a football series with most of the current FBS schools in CUSA over the past 10 years.

It's the perfect setup for them.

And I'm sure CUSA would agree to neutral sites the way Tech did in 2013 when we played Army in Dallas.
    We are temporarily safe at the moment, and I am with you on starting to court some Universities for future expansion. MO State, Army, etc., court some guys for say one or two more spots, and that is it, those spots have no value if we are willing to expand indefinitely. Fruit baskets, bags of money, whatever, just pick out 1-5 programs and let them know if they ever need an FBS home, we MAY have a spot for them.

Many think we are at the worst spot we can possibly be, but maybe we are not. The chance to rebuild a better conference is here, as long as every member is not waiting around with one foot out the door.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BhadDawg View Post
    We are temporarily safe at the moment, and I am with you on starting to court some Universities for future expansion. MO State, Army, etc., court some guys for say one or two more spots, and that is it, those spots have no value if we are willing to expand indefinitely. Fruit baskets, bags of money, whatever, just pick out 1-5 programs and let them know if they ever need an FBS home, we MAY have a spot for them.

Many think we are at the worst spot we can possibly be, but maybe we are not. The chance to rebuild a better conference is here, as long as every member is not waiting around with one foot out the door.
    Well, we know WKU is sitting in the truck waiting to pull out of the driveway if asked. I agree that we should be making connections with our new schools and prospective members in the likely event things changed.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Well, we know WKU is sitting in the truck waiting to pull out of the driveway if asked. I agree that we should be making connections with our new schools and prospective members in the likely event things changed.
    Former members also.

Varsity Bulldog dawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her game

And please don’t go after schools for only one sport or other special accommodations. That’s an insult. I wouldn't want a UConn in CUSA football unless they are also joining the conference in basketball, baseball, etc.

+ Reply to Thread