+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DMN details UNT started planning move 2 years ago

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: DMN details UNT started planning move 2 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Tech52 View Post
    You know Wood hasn’t even been here a year, right?
    Yes, he has.

https://latechsports.com/staff-direc...ic-a-wood/4443

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post

- a few that I know of just flat out got their feelings hurt by certain posters and left because we refused to censor those who hurt their feelings.
    I'm sure I contributed to that.

Only really regret once instance, but c'est la vie.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    The forum is dead because of a couple of factors. The first one is the other board. IMO it suppresses open discussion of issues and has reduced the voice that this board used to have just so that the operator(s) of that board can stay in good graces with their inside contacts.

The second is the obvious ineptitude of those who have been in charge at Tech from the 16th Floor for the last three decades and through the Boy Blunder AD. If they don't care, why should any of us?

The verdict is still out on Wood, but he gets little if any blame for this situation because nothing he could have done in his first 10 months would have changed the situation enough to matter. Wood can only do so much going forward without full support from the 16th Floor, but his honeymoon period ended for me last week. Time for him to put up or move on.
    Why do you say Eric Wood has only been here 10 months? He's been her over a year. How long does "Dr" Eric Wood get a Honeymoon in your opinion? I damn sure hold him responsible at this point. It's not like you and I have access to the meetings and info that he has access to as a sitting member of the CUSA Board of AD's, etc.... You and I can't call up the AAC, or MWC or the Sunblet and "cut a deal" for LA Tech, but "Dr" Eric Wood can. How does Wood and Louisiana Tech end up being the ONLY AD and school left out?

I'm just so tired of NO ONE wanting to hold the actual people in charge accountable. Some of you people have an excuse for literally everything.

https://latechsports.com/staff-direc...ic-a-wood/4443

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I was surprised because I didn't remember it being a year. To me, he disappeared until football season started. Didn't hear anything about or from him (OR FROM TECH) between when he was hired and then.

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    Other than BTB Radio, I don't either. But there is no denying that traffic here is nowhere close to what it was 8-12 years ago.
    The BB&B traffic is down because our Football team sucks, and they will spend the entire 2021 season trying to play catch-up. There's nothing to get excited about. Building a football program around "competing" doesn't excite me. Our team is 2-5. They had a horrible finish last season too (5-5), and are now 9-12 over the last 21 games. The crowds are down in the Joe, and it's time for Guide and Wood to read the tea leaves. The traffic is down here on BB&B too for the same reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    I was surprised because I didn't remember it being a year. To me, he disappeared until football season started. Didn't hear anything about or from him (OR FROM TECH) between when he was hired and then.
    And, I look at it just the opposite of most folks. Wood had NOTHING to do with all the success LA Tech experienced in men's basketball and baseball last spring. CLEARLY, those outstanding seasons were already propped up and already in motion when he arrived. So, my question is, exactly what has Wood done for LA Tech?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    The issue is that CUSA may be beyond the tipping point. If the MAC gets WKU and MTSU, there’s almost no way to salvage CUSA. The poor leadership and teams looking to bail to anywhere that would have them has Indy FBS teams and FCS schools that can make the jump leery. Who wants to hop aboard a sinking ship?

We tried to slow play this and do ANYTHING to avoid the Belt. Now we’re needing generosity from a conference we’ve talked down to for 20 years.

This is my 5th FBS "realignment" to experience for Tech since the year 1993:

- 1993: Tech negotiates its' way into the Big West. Most thought the move was dumb for Tech, but it set the groundwork for Tech joining the WAC 7-8 years later.
    - 2000: Tech invited to join the WAC after several WAC schools (TCU, etc..) leave for blossoming CUSA.
    - 2003: Tech is left stranded in eastern WAC (with UTEP) after SMU, Tulsa and Rice accept invites to CUSA.
    - 2004: UTEP gets last CUSA invite a year later instead of LA Tech.
    - 2012: Tech --along with several schools-- is finally invited to join CUSA. It was a long time coming, but it seemed to work out well until 2021.
    - 2021: In less than 90 days, what looked like a solid CUSA has fallen completely apart, with 6 teams headed to the AAC, 3 to the Sunbelt (Marshall, USM & ODU) and likely 2 more (WKU & MTSU) to the MAC. That's 11 teams abandoning a 14-team conference that is now left with only Tech, UTEP, & FIU .

I've learned that it pays to be AHEAD of the curve in these "negotiations", and get your school's future nailed down quickly. School leaders panic, and schools take an "every man for himself" position as the opportunities dwindle away.

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

And, I look at it just the opposite of most folks. Wood had NOTHING to do with all the success LA Tech experienced in men's basketball and baseball last spring. CLEARLY, those outstanding seasons were already propped up and already in motion when he arrived. So, my question is, exactly what has Wood done for LA Tech?
    The baseball regional in Ruston.
    The stadium being power-washed.
    Contract extension for Burroughs.
    Released Coach Sherry from Soccer.

I can't think of much else.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgonit View Post
    The baseball regional in Ruston.
    The stadium being power-washed.
    Contract extension for Burroughs.
    Released Coach Sherry from Soccer.

I can't think of much else.
    Surely you don't give Wood credit for the Baseball Regional coming to Ruston? That's laughable. Clearly that deal was 99% baked by the time he arrived.

- I can't tell if you are serious about the "power washing" or not. That's not a strategic decision. That's maintenance that should be budgeted for. We have "facilities people for stuff like that.

- Burroughs contract? Had to happen, whether he wanted to do it or not. But extending a contract is easy. It's the firings that are difficult.

- Actually, firing Sherry was easy. She made it easy. I WILL give Wood credit for hiring the new Softball coach from the University of Nevada, Josh Taylor. He appears to be a very good hire, at least on paper.

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

Surely you don't give Wood credit for the Baseball Regional coming to Ruston? That's laughable. Clearly that deal was 99% baked by the time he arrived.

- I can't tell if you are serious about the "power washing" or not. That's not a strategic decision. That's maintenance that should be budgeted for. We have "facilities people for stuff like that.

- Burroughs contract? Had to happen, whether he wanted to do it or not. But extending a contract is easy. It's the firings that are difficult.

- Actually, firing Sherry was easy. She made it easy. I WILL give Wood credit for hiring the new Softball coach from the University of Nevada, Josh Taylor. He appears to be a very good hire, at least on paper.
    I don't know what he individually has lead. I am not trying to stick up for him or criticize him, I really was just trying to remember what has happened while he has been in charge.

I assume he had leadership in submitting the proposal for the regional as the process was different this past year due to COVID. It wasn't like years past where it was 100% decided by performance on the field. If he arrived in October, I don't know how a deal could have been "99% baked" before the season even started or regional selection process was created for the COVID year.

Sherry is actually a man, not a woman but I do agree that letting Sherry go wasn't a difficult choice. Good call on the softball coach. That was a good hire, at least on paper like you say.

I can't think of much else that has happened in a years time since he started.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by THEarmada View Post
    I just hope our higher ups don’t share his disconnect from reality and irrational opposition to a stable, regional conference.
    What disconnect? I have seen the melt down on this board many many times. I am NOT happy with our coach and want to change that. I am not happy that we did not get into the AAC with the others. I just know that we will come out better than the belt, if we do what is needed. I simply gave my opinion of what I believe will happen. I am not going to proclaim the sky has completely fallen right now. There are just some dark clouds and our administration will HAVE to work hard to move us. I hope that happens. There was not that much optimism in my post above; HOWEVER, I hope to keep what optimism I do have.

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    What disconnect? I have seen the melt down on this board many many times. I am NOT happy with our coach and want to change that. I am not happy that we did not get into the AAC with the others. I just know that we will come out better than the belt, if we do what is needed. I simply gave my opinion of what I believe will happen. I am not going to proclaim the sky has completely fallen right now. There are just some dark clouds and our administration will HAVE to work hard to move us. I hope that happens. There was not that much optimism in my post above; HOWEVER, I hope to keep what optimism I do have.
    The Sun Belt would be relatively stable (especially compared the revolving door WAC and CUSA), regional conference made up of culturally and economically similar schools.

If the latest round of expansion has taught us anything it’s that we will always be the odd man out of the rat race. Not sure constantly being left behind is good for the brand.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=champion110;1816562]My guess is we stay in CUSA until we get the money from the buy-out of all these other teams moving. We make improvements that are needed, then go independent in football with all other sports in CUSA still. It will be difficult, but we will play money games again until there is another conference shake up. It will be similar to how we waited in the WAC for a couple of years for CUSA to extend an invite. That will cost us some home games, but we will be playing some big names for big payouts until we can move to the AAC. Just my guess... Difficult, but we will find ourselves in better company than the belt eventually. I think Marshall and Southern Miss are going to regret their decision to go to the belt.

We talk about our administration being reactive, instead of being proactive. That is EXACTLY what these teams are doing by joining the belt. Many fans on here are the same way. We went into panic mode quickly. If some on here were in charge, we would be in the belt now. The best plan is to plan this out carefully and put ourselves in the best position to go to the AAC. Those that are jumping to the belt now won't be in any position to jump to another conference for a long time. We will have that opportunity.[/QUOTE

Looking through all “visible”options, and with the transfer system, what do you think our talent level might look like?
    This doesn’t look very promising unless that opportunity comes very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgonit View Post
    I don't know what he individually has lead. I am not trying to stick up for him or criticize him, I really was just trying to remember what has happened while he has been in charge.

I assume he had leadership in submitting the proposal for the regional as the process was different this past year due to COVID. It wasn't like years past where it was 100% decided by performance on the field. If he arrived in October, I don't know how a deal could have been "99% baked" before the season even started or regional selection process was created for the COVID year.

Sherry is actually a man, not a woman but I do agree that letting Sherry go wasn't a difficult choice. Good call on the softball coach. That was a good hire, at least on paper like you say.

I can't think of much else that has happened in a years time since he started.
    Well, there is that other little thing called "conference realignment". It's akin to asking, "So, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?"

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Why are the Belch and the MAC "stable" conferences? It's because they are populated with schools no one wants.

Kind of the same reason we are "stable" at head coach for football, and basketball too, both of 'em.

+ Reply to Thread