+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 134

Thread: DMN details UNT started planning move 2 years ago

  1. #1
    Puppy jycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the ears
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Frisco, Texas
    Posts
    71

    DMN details UNT started planning move 2 years ago

    Wow! Just read an article in Dallas Morning News talking about UNT started planning for their next conference re-alignment more than 2 years ago. The article states:

    "AD Wren Baker and and President Neal Smatresk quietly laid out plans for years to move the school to a higher level conference"

    "School officials quietly hired more than a year ago to research what would drive the next wave of conference realignment. UNT then used the data the consultant provided to formulate printed material and get it into the hands of the decision makers of both the American and Mountain West within 2 weeks of the SEC's announcement that it would expand."

    "UNT also built a website highlighting its assets from a student body of 42,000 to its successful sports programs and quietly shared it with the decision makers of both the American and Mountain West".

    Leaves one to only wish our administration (Guice, AD Wood, etc.) had the forethought to pull off such actions. Yet here we sit.........

  2. #2
    2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Shreevesburg
    Posts
    29,316

    Re: DMN details UNT started planning move 2 years ago

    Proactive leadership…what a concept!

  3. #3
    Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    11,910

    Re: DMN details UNT started planning move 2 years ago

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Proactive leadership…what a concept!
    The Boy Blunder was quietly planning two years ago....how to get out of Ruston.

    If Tech admin had been proactive--something that hasn't been the case since Dr. Taylor's office was on the 16th Floor--the Boy Blunder would have been gone after the Summitt scandal.

  4. #4
    Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    39,930

    Re: DMN details UNT started planning move 2 years ago

    I find it interesting that UNT would seek to move to a "higher level conference" when they have had practically ZERO success where they are. Schools like Boise State seek to move up because they have reached the pinnacle of the league they are in, and really can't accomplish anything more. But, UNT? They have been a doormat in CUSA since joining it.

    Of course, the proof is in the pudding and they are off to the AAC...which will just be another CUSA, where they can continue to be a doormat.

  5. #5
    Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    McKinney, TX & Franklin, TN
    Posts
    36,563

    Re: DMN details UNT started planning move 2 years ago

    Quote Originally Posted by jycww View Post
    Wow! Just read an article in Dallas Morning News talking about UNT started planning for their next conference re-alignment more than 2 years ago. The article states:

    "AD Wren Baker and and President Neal Smatresk quietly laid out plans for years to move the school to a higher level conference"

    "School officials quietly hired more than a year ago to research what would drive the next wave of conference realignment. UNT then used the data the consultant provided to formulate printed material and get it into the hands of the decision makers of both the American and Mountain West within 2 weeks of the SEC's announcement that it would expand."

    "UNT also built a website highlighting its assets from a student body of 42,000 to its successful sports programs and quietly shared it with the decision makers of both the American and Mountain West".

    Leaves one to only wish our administration (Guice, AD Wood, etc.) had the forethought to pull off such actions. Yet here we sit.........
    This is what Business Professionals like us do with our time. We don't attempt to do a Dive and Catch on decision day, when strategic decisions are at stake.

    UNT (mostly AD Wren Baker) has been working it hard for at least 2 years. And some at UNT even longer. For example, UNT formed an official partnership with the Dallas Cowboys about 4 years ago to offer academic and internship opportunities for students. Baker also got UNT to sponsor (or co-sponsor, along with CUSA) the NIT Tournament that LA Tech played in last spring. (See links below). UNT partnered with the City of Frisco and CUSA to host the NIT in the DFW area. Baker even got some of the games played in UNT's floor in Denton, even though the bulk of the games were played in Frisco and UNT wasn't even in the Tournament.

    This is EXACTLY the kind of stuff GOOD AD's do. This was all about BRAND building for UNT. These were all signals sent to the AAC (and the MWC) that said, "Hey, UNT is a big deal in this town. You need to add us to your conference if you want to have a big outreach here. We've got some serious partnerships, and our brand means something here in this town."


    https://northtexan.unt.edu/issues/un...ys-partnership

    https://www.ntdaily.com/breaking-nor...-the-2021-nit/

    https://meangreensports.com/news/202... ESPN or ESPN2.

  6. #6
    Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bossier City
    Posts
    7,654

    Re: DMN details UNT started planning move 2 years ago

    Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    This is what Business Professionals like us do with our time. We don't attempt to do a Dive and Catch on decision day, when strategic decisions are at stake.

    UNT (mostly AD Wren Baker) has been working it hard for at least 2 years. And some at UNT even longer. For example, UNT formed an official partnership with the Dallas Cowboys about 4 years ago to offer academic and internship opportunities for students. Baker also got UNT to sponsor (or co-sponsor, along with CUSA) the NIT Tournament that LA Tech played in last spring. (See links below). UNT partnered with the City of Frisco and CUSA to host the NIT in the DFW area. Baker even got some of the games played in UNT's floor in Denton, even though the bulk of the games were played in Frisco and UNT wasn't even in the Tournament.

    This is EXACTLY the kind of stuff GOOD AD's do. This was all about BRAND building for UNT. These were all signals sent to the AAC (and the MWC) that said, "Hey, UNT is a big deal in this town. You need to add us to your conference if you want to have a big outreach here. We've got some serious partnerships, and our brand means something here in this town."


    https://northtexan.unt.edu/issues/un...ys-partnership

    https://www.ntdaily.com/breaking-nor...-the-2021-nit/

    https://meangreensports.com/news/202... ESPN or ESPN2.
    This kind of stuff is why you don't hire someone that has experience from NSU and McNeese to try to move you forward. That was literally the worst hire- yes, even worse than Summitt. Any idiot could see you can't hire small time to go big time. It's becoming more and more obvious the last hire was not much better. I hope he proves us wrong, but so far I have seen nothing he has added to the table.

  7. #7
    Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    McKinney, TX & Franklin, TN
    Posts
    36,563

    Re: DMN details UNT started planning move 2 years ago

    Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    The Boy Blunder was quietly planning two years ago....how to get out of Ruston.

    If Tech admin had been proactive--something that hasn't been the case since Dr. Taylor's office was on the 16th Floor--the Boy Blunder would have been gone after the Summitt scandal.
    I think that's the only reason T-Mac left when he did.

    Some years after the Tyler Summitt-Brooke Pumroy affair --and long after leaving Tech-- Tyler Summitt did a couple of "where are they now" interviews with the media. In one of those interviews, he accidentally let it slip that LA Tech's leadership actually knew about the "affair" much earlier than any of us initially thought, and months before Tech's administration took any action. Next thing you know, T-Mac resigned quickly.

    Make no mistake, this is why T-Mac left so quickly, and took a "lesser" job. He was getting out of town before the Pitchfork folks got angry and put 2+2 together.

  8. #8
    Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    McKinney, TX & Franklin, TN
    Posts
    36,563

    Re: DMN details UNT started planning move 2 years ago

    Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I find it interesting that UNT would seek to move to a "higher level conference" when they have had practically ZERO success where they are. Schools like Boise State seek to move up because they have reached the pinnacle of the league they are in, and really can't accomplish anything more. But, UNT? They have been a doormat in CUSA since joining it.

    Of course, the proof is in the pudding and they are off to the AAC...which will just be another CUSA, where they can continue to be a doormat.

    What? Not quite. UNT won the CUSA Men's Basketball Championship (and CUSA's NCAA Tournament auto bid) last spring, and also won the regular season title in the same sport the year before in the spring of 2020. As you know, that 2020 season Tournament was ultimately cut short due to COVID, so no CUSA Tournament was played that season. But UNT can easily argue that they had the best men's basketball team in CUSA for the last 2 years. Furthermore, UNT has won CUSA Championships in Softball (2018 & 2020?), Women's Soccer (2018 & 2019), Men's Golf, and I think Women's BB (?). I guess Tech fans are just lucky that UNT doesn't play baseball. LOL!


    https://tylerpaper.com/sports/colleg...54e4597c5.html

  9. #9
    Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Prosper, Tx
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: DMN details UNT started planning move 2 years ago

    Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    This is what Business Professionals like us do with our time. We don't attempt to do a Dive and Catch on decision day, when strategic decisions are at stake.

    UNT (mostly AD Wren Baker) has been working it hard for at least 2 years. And some at UNT even longer. For example, UNT formed an official partnership with the Dallas Cowboys about 4 years ago to offer academic and internship opportunities for students. Baker also got UNT to sponsor (or co-sponsor, along with CUSA) the NIT Tournament that LA Tech played in last spring. (See links below). UNT partnered with the City of Frisco and CUSA to host the NIT in the DFW area. Baker even got some of the games played in UNT's floor in Denton, even though the bulk of the games were played in Frisco and UNT wasn't even in the Tournament.

    This is EXACTLY the kind of stuff GOOD AD's do. This was all about BRAND building for UNT. These were all signals sent to the AAC (and the MWC) that said, "Hey, UNT is a big deal in this town. You need to add us to your conference if you want to have a big outreach here. We've got some serious partnerships, and our brand means something here in this town."


    https://northtexan.unt.edu/issues/un...ys-partnership

    https://www.ntdaily.com/breaking-nor...-the-2021-nit/

    https://meangreensports.com/news/202... ESPN or ESPN2.
    Frisco ISD has similar working relationships with the Cowboys, FC Dallas, Dallas Stars, Maverick and Rangers Minor league teams, and soon the PGA of America. Several of the surrounding ISD's have relationships with some or all of these as well. If you reach out and provide incentives to partner up its amazing who will say yes. I don't think Tech ever even asks anyone, much less provide them with information in advance or incentives.

    Its not even just the sports, I have 15 HS seniors that intern 3 hours every A-Day at 15 local law firms across the area. Its about cultivating any and all community partners at every level.

    Hey but Tech has Learfield and Pepsi
    2008 Young Alumnus of the Year
    2011 ALA National Law Related Education Teacher of the Year......
    2012 TLA Law Related Education Teacher of the Year

  10. #10
    Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    3,362

    Re: DMN details UNT started planning move 2 years ago

    Quote Originally Posted by jycww View Post
    Wow! Just read an article in Dallas Morning News talking about UNT started planning for their next conference re-alignment more than 2 years ago. The article states:

    "AD Wren Baker and and President Neal Smatresk quietly laid out plans for years to move the school to a higher level conference"

    "School officials quietly hired more than a year ago to research what would drive the next wave of conference realignment. UNT then used the data the consultant provided to formulate printed material and get it into the hands of the decision makers of both the American and Mountain West within 2 weeks of the SEC's announcement that it would expand."

    "UNT also built a website highlighting its assets from a student body of 42,000 to its successful sports programs and quietly shared it with the decision makers of both the American and Mountain West".

    Leaves one to only wish our administration (Guice, AD Wood, etc.) had the forethought to pull off such actions. Yet here we sit.........
    You know Wood hasn’t even been here a year, right?

  11. #11
    Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    3,362

    Re: DMN details UNT started planning move 2 years ago

    Quote Originally Posted by Tech52 View Post
    You know Wood hasn’t even been here a year, right?
    Im all for blaming TMac on us having no ground to stand on as far as moving conferences. I don’t think its fair to compare new hire Wood to UNT/Baker getting something done for putting in the effort over the course of 2 years.

    Also funny these Western schools CUSA has put any effort into helping with things or given them opportunities are moving up. Gave UAB Basketball tournament for years. Probably helped get them the waivers when football returned. Gave them publicity on the Return. Practically gave UNT the tournament for a few years. USM pretty much has had baseball a few years outside of last season.
    None of those host sites are very viable now, if CUSA continues.

  12. #12
    Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Posts
    3,168

    Re: DMN details UNT started planning move 2 years ago

    Tech needs a ground swell of disapproval to our university leadership for their utter failure. Our university president failed us. Every western team from CUSA other than UTEP bettered themselves. We’ve taken a HUGE (maybe irreparable) step back.

  13. #13
    Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Posts
    3,168

    Re: DMN details UNT started planning move 2 years ago

    Based on how dead this fan forum is…RIP Tech athletics.

  14. #14
    Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    11,910

    Re: DMN details UNT started planning move 2 years ago

    Quote Originally Posted by THEarmada View Post
    Based on how dead this fan forum is…RIP Tech athletics.
    The forum is dead because of a couple of factors. The first one is the other board. IMO it suppresses open discussion of issues and has reduced the voice that this board used to have just so that the operator(s) of that board can stay in good graces with their inside contacts.

    The second is the obvious ineptitude of those who have been in charge at Tech from the 16th Floor for the last three decades and through the Boy Blunder AD. If they don't care, why should any of us?

    The verdict is still out on Wood, but he gets little if any blame for this situation because nothing he could have done in his first 10 months would have changed the situation enough to matter. Wood can only do so much going forward without full support from the 16th Floor, but his honeymoon period ended for me last week. Time for him to put up or move on.

  15. #15
    Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Posts
    3,168

    Re: DMN details UNT started planning move 2 years ago

    Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    The forum is dead because of a couple of factors. The first one is the other board. IMO it suppresses open discussion of issues and has reduced the voice that this board used to have just so that the operator(s) of that board can stay in good graces with their inside contacts.

    The second is the obvious ineptitude of those who have been in charge at Tech from the 16th Floor for the last three decades and through the Boy Blunder AD. If they don't care, why should any of us?

    The verdict is still out on Wood, but he gets little if any blame for this situation because nothing he could have done in his first 10 months would have changed the situation enough to matter. Wood can only do so much going forward without full support from the 16th Floor, but his honeymoon period ended for me last week. Time for him to put up or move on.
    Sadly, I never saw a need for a pay-for site but BTB has successfully fragmented the Tech fan base. Just one piece of the death of the Texh fan base

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts