+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: @LATechSports Announces North Endzone Facility Plan

Varsity Bulldog thewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Re: @LATechSports Announces North Endzone Facility Plan

Personally, I think the 2020 season was actually a very successful season considering, how messed up our schedule got. Not playing for a month in the middle of the season, is hard for any team to truly recover from. Plus the three games cancelled were ULM, Rice, and FIU which would probably have been wins for us. I do think this years team had real potential, but I think using all of those potential upsets really just killed any momentum our team. Heck in some ways, I think it would've been better for the team if one of the body bag games had been a blowout. Add in having to play Allen for multiple games and the the fanbase turning on the coaching staff and you just have a mess on your hands.

I'm not shocked that Skip didn't see his firing coming. He had a very successful tenure here and this was his only true losing season since his first season. Outside of the Tech fanbase, I saw plenty of people questioning the firing at the time. As I've said, I hope it works out great with Cumbie, but there's a good chance we're no better off than we were with Skip or that it's actually worse. I will have a laugh in a few years if this hire doesn't work and certain individuals start getting nostalgic for Skip.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

There might be 5 people total who would want Skip back or to have stayed regardless of how this hire goes. I’m sorry, but if we had the same mentality as you, Bicknell would be our coach and we would have a winning percentage under him of 55%. Our conference may have gotten worse, but Bicknell undoubtedly would have gotten worse along with it. And Skip is the exact same.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Holtz needed to go, period. If Cumbie proves to be a bust then he too will get fired and we'll move on. The two are separate. Cumbie's ultimate value to Tech is independent of what Holtz means or meant to the program. So no, only loser morons will be pining for the return of Holtz if Cumbie fails.

And of course, it appears this thewyldman fellow is hoping Cumbie fails just so he can laugh. What a POS you are, bud!

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thewyldman View Post

As I've said, I hope it works out great with Cumbie, but there's a good chance we're no better off than we were with Skip or that it's actually worse. I will have a laugh in a few years if this hire doesn't work and certain individuals start getting nostalgic for Skip.
    Being nostalgic for Holtz is never going to happen. He was always way more lucky than he ever was at being any good. He made it work for him for years that other teams found a way to play stupid and lose to Tech than him ever beating anyone. More than anything else, it was never Holtz, it was his best players that saved the day. Here lately Holtz has been the guy that can jerk a loss out of his ass in a two minute fit of idiot football coaching better than anyone else that I know of. I don’t ever recall seeing someone get so much stuff wrong all at once as Holtz unless we include politics and then Beijing Biden is running neck and neck.

Cumbie certainly has a lot of work to do to flush our program free of Holtz’s apathy and to create a new breed of Bulldawg, but it’s doable with maximum effort and some smarts. Right now Tech is a long, long way from being a well rounded and full bodied team. On a scale of 0-10 (offense, defense, special teams, discipline, confidence, athleticism), I’d say Tech is a 2.5.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bone_afide_Dawg View Post
    Right now Tech is a long, long way from being a well rounded and full bodied team. On a scale of 0-10 (offense, defense, special teams, discipline, confidence, athleticism), I’d say Tech is a 2.5.
    Really? This sounds like Holtz was a terrible recruiter who pulled out 3 wins somehow. I’ve always thought the consensus was that Tech had more talent than all the teams in CUSA but Holtz was preventing the rightful championships from rolling in?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Personally, I think the 2020 season was actually a very successful season considering, how messed up our schedule got. Not playing for a month in the middle of the season, is hard for any team to truly recover from. Plus the three games cancelled were ULM, Rice, and FIU which would probably have been wins for us. I do think this years team had real potential, but I think using all of those potential upsets really just killed any momentum our team. Heck in some ways, I think it would've been better for the team if one of the body bag games had been a blowout. Add in having to play Allen for multiple games and the the fanbase turning on the coaching staff and you just have a mess on your hands.

I'm not shocked that Skip didn't see his firing coming. He had a very successful tenure here and this was his only true losing season since his first season. Outside of the Tech fanbase, I saw plenty of people questioning the firing at the time. As I've said, I hope it works out great with Cumbie, but there's a good chance we're no better off than we were with Skip or that it's actually worse. I will have a laugh in a few years if this hire doesn't work and certain individuals start getting nostalgic for Skip.
    Dumb post. What you fail to acknowledge is that LA Tech didn't have a coach on GAME DAY. Skip Holtz was his own worst enemy, and the fans turned on him because he is stubborn and BORING. He had no offense to speak of. Holtz's offense couldn't score TD's, was horrible in the red zone, had terrible special teams, had 7th grade passing game statistics and he didn't recruit or develop enough good QB's. The two transfer QB's (Luke Anthony and Austin Kendall) were afterthoughts that fell in his lap in almost emergency situations, and yet, he rode them like beaten rented mules until neither could play again. AND don't get me started about the extremely poor offensive play calling, and that stupid ass "15-minute PREVENT DEFENSE" that Holtz ran ever 4th qtr.

People --paying customers-- didn't like it. And they got fed up with it.

I would tell Skip Holtz the same thing I would tell ANY football coach: LOOK IN THE STANDS! If your crowds have shrunk from 22K per game average to only a 2K average, your ass is in trouble, because you just put a gun to your school's head. They HAVE to fire you, because you left them with no options. You can blame everybody else as much as you want, but your medicine isn't selling.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    Really? This sounds like Holtz was a terrible recruiter who pulled out 3 wins somehow. I’ve always thought the consensus was that Tech had more talent than all the teams in CUSA but Holtz was preventing the rightful championships from rolling in?
    I am convinced we have the talent to be good now. That may not mean 8-9 wins in year 1. But 6-7 is within reach. Don’t play prevent defense ever. If it gets you a 20 point lead in 3 quarters, it will survive the final 15 minutes. No directional or pooch kicks when you have a guy with a leg that can reach the EZ. Don’t run delayed handoffs on 60% of first downs.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I am convinced we have the talent to be good now. That may not mean 8-9 wins in year 1. But 6-7 is within reach. Don’t play prevent defense ever. If it gets you a 20 point lead in 3 quarters, it will survive the final 15 minutes. No directional or pooch kicks when you have a guy with a leg that can reach the EZ. Don’t run delayed handoffs on 60% of first downs.
    Yes, that’s what I was hearing. A coaching change will bring about 9 wins, the conference championship, and a likely win over either Baylor or Clemson. All the pieces are in place, Tech just needs some different decision-making skills from the sidelines.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    Yes, that’s what I was hearing. A coaching change will bring about 9 wins, the conference championship, and a likely win over either Baylor or Clemson. All the pieces are in place, Tech just needs some different decision-making skills from the sidelines.
    I doubt this. While Holtz says this is the most "talented team" he has ever coached, I am not as convinced. We were super weak on our Lines.

Probably the worst Lines of the Holtz era. Cumbie will need major help on the lines.

Look I am not a Holtz fan. You can look through my posts to know that I thought Holtz had regressed every year he was here.

HOWEVER...

Holtz struggle came down to he couldn't get out of his own way. The longer the season went the more he went into what he knew. This is a common trait among all of us. When we struggle we double down on our strengths thinking we can just work our way through it. He ran the same plays more and more. You could see it in the last two years. He kept relying on what "worked" until it didn't work. This was his struggle in the 2nd halves of games. Especially in the 4th quarters.

The NC State game was a major turning point. It showed that our offense could work, but then it showed how much Holtz struggled with management and creativity. (My guess is creativity is not a Holtz strength)

After this game, the season was done. Even though we had so many hopes with conference play starting, the team had already quit.

Holtz would still be here IF...
    1. He hired for creativity and not for friends.
    2. He let his position coaches actually coach.

He just couldn't get out of his own way.

My wonder is what Holtz would have done differently for 2022. Would he have let anyone go on his staff? How would he have improved our lines and our defense? What changes would he have made on offense?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Skippy would have made no real changes heading into 2022. He made his excuses for the failure this year and was leaning on that. "Wow...we played our 3rd string QB some games." We would have struggled just to go 4-8 next year. Holtz killed Tech Football, just like those USF prophets predicted. Now, it did take a little longer because Tech is an actual football school with a real history and tradition and USF is a start-up trying to compete against all those other Florida schools for recruits and support. But kill Tech Football Holtz did.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Skippy would have made no real changes heading into 2022. He made his excuses for the failure this year and was leaning on that. "Wow...we played our 3rd string QB some games." We would have struggled just to go 4-8 next year. Holtz killed Tech Football, just like those USF prophets predicted. Now, it did take a little longer because Tech is an actual football school with a real history and tradition and USF is a start-up trying to compete against all those other Florida schools for recruits and support. But kill Tech Football Holtz did.
    "4th string if you count Luke Anthony."

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

WTF.... you are a Holtz man through and through... keep leaning into the same points defending him... You are the BBB version of a 3 and 15 Skip Holtz dive play...... carry on good sir!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    WTF.... you are a Holtz man through and through... keep leaning into the same points defending him... You are the BBB version of a 3 and 15 Skip Holtz dive play...... carry on good sir!!!
    Hah! Skip didn't run too many "dive plays," except maybe out of the full-house T formation sometimes. A good "dive play" on 3rd and 15 probably would have netted 7-8 yards most of the time, and perhaps even breaking one for 15+ and first down. Instead, Skippy ran that stupid delayed handoff to a back 7 yards deep out of the shotgun. Man! opposing defenses were fooled by that...not! Which is why 3rd and 15 often became 4th and 15...or worse.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

I used the dive because its simple, just like his offense was to figure out

+ Reply to Thread