+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Welcome Sonny Cumbie, TX Tech OC

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Welcome Sonny Cumbie, TX Tech OC

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    Skippy spread his kool-aid far and wide. The only chance of spectacular during the last 9 years got literally chainsmoked or snorted away.

Tech will do just fine under Cumbie if he gets 90% or more of the effort that Texas Tech gave him tonight.
    I'm a little surprised this morning to see our LA Tech fans so sedate and quiet about Sonny Cumbie's performance last night. I thought Cumbie was awesome.

- Cumbie's offense racked up 512 yds of offense and 34 points against a 7-win SEC bowl team coached by Mike Leach
    - His offense was balanced, with 262 yds rushing and 252 yds passing
    - His defense played superb, getting 3 turnovers and holding Leach's offense to only 344 yds of offense and only 7 pts
    - His team was motivated
    - His team scored TD's from the red zone
    - His special teams were solid
    - His team was only penalized 6 times for 50 yds
    - His team played 4 full quarters and scored in every quarter

What more could we ask for in a new coach?

This Liberty Bowl game was a great precursor of things to come on Sonny Cumbie's watch in Ruston. Cumbie proved on national TV last night that the "head coaching" stage is NOT too big for him. This Texas Tech team was prepared, excited and looked GOOD last night. In fact, after last night's performance, I'll be surprised if we don't see many TX Tech fans openly coveting Sonny Cumbie as the next head coach for their program.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId/401331223

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

While I think Cumbie will do a good job, I wouldn't put too much into T Tech's performance as evidence. I will remind everyone that for 6 straight years Skippy did a great job preparing his team for a bowl.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    While I think Cumbie will do a good job, I wouldn't put too much into T Tech's performance as evidence. I will remind everyone that for 6 straight years Skippy did a great job preparing his team for a bowl.
    There's that ole "LA Tech excitement" we look forward to hearing......

If LA Tech doesn't want Sonny, I'm sure he'll have a lot of other suitors after last night's performance. Frankly, I think we'll be lucky to get 2 years out of the guy before he's gone.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn’t look at the stat line. Seemed like a lot more penalties. I was excited to see good football on both sides of the ball. States defense was missing several guys which may have tipped the scale as well. But, thems the breaks. Have to play with who you got.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Yeah, but TTech hasn't won a bowl game in years. It was a great performance. He still needs a QB, but if he finds one pretty soon, I think we'll be bowling next year.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

That's why I am focusing on the effort side of last night's game and not so much the stat lines.

We didn't see close to that level of effort for a full 60 minutes over the last 20 games under Skippy.

Varsity Bulldog dawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her game

I agree HD, social media is blowing up with well-wishers from Lubbock. We got a good one and it’s time to get excited about the future. Loved his enthusiasm on the sideline and his players were fired up, played hard and expected to win.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I'm a little surprised this morning to see our LA Tech fans so sedate and quiet about Sonny Cumbie's performance last night. I thought Cumbie was awesome.
    Don't confuse this board with all of social media or sports talk radio. There's a lot of talk about it this morning.

Funny stuff, as well. A caller in Ruston this morning said that Cumbie better "watch out". "Some Tech athletics council member might want him suspended for unsportsmanlike conduct for not letting Mississippi State back into the game."

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Don't confuse this board with all of social media or sports talk radio. There's a lot of talk about it this morning.

Funny stuff, as well. A caller in Ruston this morning said that Cumbie better "watch out". "Some Tech athletics council member might want him suspended for unsportsmanlike conduct for not letting Mississippi State back into the game."
    Funny!

When TTU went up by 20 late in the third quarter, I was thinking "up by 20 against MSST with about a quarter left....where have I seen this before?"

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Yeah, but TTech hasn't won a bowl game in years. It was a great performance. He still needs a QB, but if he finds one pretty soon, I think we'll be bowling next year.
    I’m not sure how literally you meant it, but I’d much prefer that Coach Cumbie develops his QBs over finding them. We’ve got QBs so let’s just coach them up to play solid football. They don’t have to be great, just accept being coached and learn to do their job. With CC’s energy and strategy skills Tech is going to do very well.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bone_afide_Dawg View Post
    I’m not sure how literally you meant it, but I’d much prefer that Coach Cumbie develops his QBs over finding them. We’ve got QBs so let’s just coach them up to play solid football. They don’t have to be great, just accept being coached and learn to do their job. With CC’s energy and strategy skills Tech is going to do very well.
    He will over time. Nothing in the cupboard for next year. We’ll add at least one more.

Champ FriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond repute FriscoDog's Avatar

One of the things I noticed and one of the commentators even mentioned was early on, TTech was running a hurry up offense. This quickly gassed the defense as they have been off a few weeks and not ready for such an up-tempo type of start to a game. This made me even more excited abut Coach Cumbie coming to Louisiana Tech. I get the feeling that our guys will be prepared and in shape for beginning of the year to run an up-tempo offense.

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post

LOL!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    You "think" we'll be bowling next year? You won't go as far as to state WE WILL be bowling. Given 6-6 is usually good enough to bowl, you're really going out on a limb with this one.

Well, I THINK Holtz was the problem and now removed, we WILL go bowling next year. I predict 7-5...

You "think" we'll be bowling next year? You won't go as far as to state WE WILL be bowling. Given 6-6 is usually good enough to bowl, you're really going out on a limb with this one.

Well, I THINK Holtz was the problem and now removed, we WILL go bowling next year. I predict 7-5...
    I think we will, but we don't have a QB yet.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

+ Reply to Thread