+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome Sonny Cumbie, TX Tech OC

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Welcome Sonny Cumbie, TX Tech OC

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Really needed to be. Year one recruiting classes in the early signing period era are notoriously bad now that we have data on it. That's probably going to be the case no matter what, but getting someone in before the date might help salvage some of the class. Let's hope they're good fits in the new systems.
    And it’s a lot worse than normal because Holtz quit recruiting.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

We ended the hiring of famous coaches' sons.

Champ LEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud of LEEDAWG's Avatar

Really needed to be. Year one recruiting classes in the early signing period era are notoriously bad now that we have data on it. That's probably going to be the case no matter what, but getting someone in before the date might help salvage some of the class. Let's hope they're good fits in the new systems.
    I have no idea if any current players are considering transferring, but this quick transition might help prevent done player loses. Of course a new coach may want to bring in some of his own transfers. Curious to see what kind of player movements happen in the coming months. Our QBs and WR should be excited already about this hire.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by LEEDAWG View Post
    I have no idea if any current players are considering transferring, but this quick transition might help prevent done player loses. Of course a new coach may want to bring in some of his own transfers. Curious to see what kind of player movements happen in the coming months. Our QBs and WR should be excited already about this hire.
    Is Lyddy still committed? This seems a lot better than Holtz if I'm him.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    Is Lyddy still committed? This seems a lot better than Holtz if I'm him.
    Yes. And he follows Sonny on Twitter.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    We ended the hiring of famous coaches' sons.
    Kind of hate to see the streak end, just because it was so quirky.

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    And it’s a lot worse than normal because Holtz quit recruiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by LEEDAWG View Post
    McGuire was going to keep him on in Lubbock. I doubt he tries to steal too many Texas Tech recruits or current players (who are still good fits for Texas Tech). I can't see this being like Dykes to TCU or Riley to USC where they more or less try to steal all the best recruits at the last second (for one thing, he was only interim at Texas Tech).

Wouldn't be surprised if we get a few TT transfers in the next couple of years but I bet they aren't guys TT was counting on.

Could be wrong, it's a cut-throat profession. But Cumbie has more ties to TT than Dykes to SMU for example, and maybe more loyalty.

Champ Dawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant future Dawg Fan's Avatar

Cumbie doesn't really move the needle for me - yet, but I'm willing to see how it goes if he is indeed the hire. Now, if he says he plans to keep Holtz's style of play - I might just get sick. I know, I know, that's not who he is. We should be able to look forward to an upbeat fast-paced offense.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Kind of hate to see the streak end, just because it was so quirky.

McGuire was going to keep him on in Lubbock. I doubt he tries to steal too many Texas Tech recruits or current players (who are still good fits for Texas Tech). I can't see this being like Dykes to TCU or Riley to USC where they more or less try to steal all the best recruits at the last second (for one thing, he was only interim at Texas Tech).

Wouldn't be surprised if we get a few TT transfers in the next couple of years but I bet they aren't guys TT was counting on.

Could be wrong, it's a cut-throat profession. But Cumbie has more ties to TT than Dykes to SMU for example, and maybe more loyalty.
    Since he was at TCU in 2020, there might be a few guys there who could jump depending on what Dykes does.

Varsity Bulldog jharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    San Angelo Stampede Express (2009) / Head coach & director of player personnel
    Texas Tech (2009–2010) / Graduate assistant
    Texas Tech (2011–2012) / Wide receivers coach
    Texas Tech (2013) / Co-offensive coordinator & outside receivers coach
    TCU (2014–2016) / Co-offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach
    TCU (2017–2020) / Offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach
    Texas Tech (2021) / Interim head coach
    Texas Tech (2021–present) / Offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach
    Texas Tech has not had a winning regular season since 2015 (finishing 7-6).

Since 2011, Texas Tech has had just three winning seasons, topping out with 8 wins.

Good stuff!

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by jharris View Post
    Texas Tech has not had a winning regular season since 2015 (finishing 7-6).

Since 2011, Texas Tech has had just three winning seasons, topping out with 8 wins.

Good stuff!
    Missed FG away from taking Baylor to OT last week.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    Since he was at TCU in 2020, there might be a few guys there who could jump depending on what Dykes does.
    Yeah, maybe.

And who Dykes brings over from SMU/soon-to-be SMU. But I imagine the skill sets for offensive players would be the same. So it'd need to be a matter of personal connection/playing time. Still a possibility.

Varsity Bulldog jharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    Missed FG away from taking Baylor to OT last week.
    Great point! We were a blocked field goal away from beating Mississippi State.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Yeah, maybe.

And who Dykes brings over from SMU/soon-to-be SMU. But I imagine the skill sets for offensive players would be the same. So it'd need to be a matter of personal connection/playing time. Still a possibility.
    I think our OL is gonna have to be a lot faster to run Sonny's O. They may all start to look like underfed tackles....that's a good thing.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

This seems like the perfect choice for Tech. I just hope he doesn’t want to call the plays. 😂

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I like our chances of hanging on to skill players with an offensive minded guy coming in. We actually have the athletes to make it run. Quick throws take the pressure off the OL. Things may open up for running backs. We have no idea if our QB’s can run the system since Holtz only knows how to cripple a QB. We will see quickly if this will work. Maybe not year 1, but year 2 for sure.

+ Reply to Thread