+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: What You Need to Know about LA Tech-LSU Game

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

Re: Preview: LA Tech vs. #19 LSU

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    My impressions:

Game had a "big time" feel in terms of arena, atmosphere, and crowd involvement. I thought LaTech showed the program is ready for big time games and played like it.

LSU's defense is the real deal. They created tons of stress on Cobe and our other guards just trying to get the ball up the floor. But once we broke the press, the initial sequence of our offense was the time to get the better shots. Like Jason said, when Junior flashed into the lane at the beginning of the possession was the time to get him the ball but we were too timid to make the pass. Needed to ball-fake the swing pass and get it to him because he often had his man sealed and was in the paint. Instead, we waited and, if he touched it, he was too far from the goal and they could double him rather easily. So we often delayed until real late in the shot clock and had to attempt low percentage shots. Cobe was the most aggressive in terms of attacking early but he was driving against alot of length and he's not tall enough to get a good shot off over them.

Our defense was the real deal too. We had LSU out of synch for most of the night. They ended up hitting enough to overcome but we were swarming them and had them on their heels. Very solid defensive effort. I was especially impressed by Christon on both ends, he played a good game overall and showed me once again way Konkol gives him starter minutes. I also thought Bradford showed what he can be. He is aggressive and powerful. He's going to be good for us. Willis got some good looks and knocked down a few but we need him to shoot at a higher percentage. I thought Archibald showed poise. He wasn't as erratic in this game and he hit some timely shots, especially early. His double team on their post was very disruptive. I love it when he collapses like that. He's good at it.

As for the arena experience. The concessions were NOT ready for this crowd. The vendors needed to get there at 4 and have the food ready for purchase. Instead, they were just setting up at 5 when the crowd was allowed entry and it was a cluster. They was some irony in how the "floor" was being dedicated and they were trying to repair it before the game. Also, the towel boys were absolutely awful. They created doubt as to whether or not they could even wipe the floor with their towel. Had no idea when to come wipe up, and weren't willin to get down on hands and knees and remove the perspiration. It was actually comical how bad they were. Embarrassing for Brookshires imo. The LSU wannabes were out in full force and many of them, because they have no idea about our team, seemed confounded by how good we are. They were mostly there to chant and gloat but ended up being concerned about a possible L much of the night. That humored me as well. I thought the Tech crowd was decently loud and enthusiastic. I really wanted this win but I thought we showed well overall. It was an enjoyable event, and I think LaTech made a statement to S'port/Bossier that we have a legit program.
    Thanks Rafe, helpful analysis.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Have you watched a lot of Tech men's basketball? I don't mean that to be critical, but I think you are far underestimating what Cobe brings to this team. When he went down last season with a broken hand, this team DID NOT PLAY WELL without him. And that was WITH Crawford on the roster. IMO, Cobe is the engine that makes everything work on this team. He's a tremendous DEFENSIVE player, and harasses the hell out of our opposing guards. Cobe is one of the key reasons LSU only scored 66 points tonight.

Cobe also drives to the basket very well offensively, and can hit the 3 with regularity.

I thought our guards played real well tonight, for the most part. For example, Tech got 20 pts from its' 2 point guards (Archibald and Cobe) tonight. IMO, they both had a good night. And remember, I was the guy criticizing them both a couple of weeks ago when I thought they weren't getting it done. But the two point guards were not the problem tonight.

IMO, Tech lost tonight because, 1) LSU has bigger, longer and better athletes than we do, and they have more of them. That allowed LSU to control the rim play, and tonight that meant the Tigers often got 2 and 3 followup shots at the basket in a single trip down, vs Tech typically getting one shot at the basket per trip, and 2) Tech got out coached, because LSU had a game plan that reduced Lofton to an insignificant role.

But hey.....it's still DECEMBER college basketball. And nobody wins championships in December.
    I agree with this with regards to Cobe. I honestly don't know how he could play defense like that considering the way he had to face the press EVERY time he brought the ball up the court. It's not only physically exhausting, it has to be mentally fatiguing. Cobe was a warrior last night, left it all on the court. Many of his misses came because he had to try and force something due to their defense locking down so hard on Lofton. I was proud of how he competing against their guards, one of those guys (33?) was the fastest/quickest dude I've seen in person.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by LyleK View Post
    The real problem with LSU wannabe’s that know nothing about our program is 20-30% of them went and graduated from Tech. I understand not wanting to sign up for continued disappointment (name the sport), but pulling for a school you didn’t go to while repping their gear when they ARE PLAYING YOUR ALMA MATER makes absolutely no sense to me. Never will.
    This is why it's so damn important to win this game.

We did not "make a statement" unless that statement was "lil ole Tech just like we thought they were."

And Shreveport goes back to buying purple crap like they always will. Why wouldn't they? Tech can't compete with lsu.

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    This is why it's so damn important to win this game.

We did not "make a statement" unless that statement was "lil ole Tech just like we thought they were."

And Shreveport goes back to buying purple crap like they always will. Why wouldn't they? Tech can't compete with lsu.
    I thought this myself, but anyone that knows the game of basketball would say Tech was very impressive. LSU was #19, they had somewhat of a home crowd advantage… and they may be an elite 8 type squad this year. We played above our general expectation (mine included)

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I’m tired of that. Just like football, let’s win just 1 game that we aren’t supposed to win.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I thought we had less than a 25% chance of winning this game going into it -

I thought Konkol had an excellent game plan against LSU unlike what he had against Bama -

We lost because we missed 6 layups in the last 5 minutes of the game and tried to force the ball into Jr when LSU was giving us the 10 to 12 ft jumper on either side of the key

I was ready to bench X before the game, but he played well and under control

The environment was too big for Bradford and Green - both were turn over machines and were continuously out of place on the defensive end with led to Jr picking up back side fouls and sitting most of the second half

Might of been 7,000 in the bldg (I think official box score showed 6,800 and change) - personally I didn't think the crowd was all that great but I think that was due to the ticket prices which were stout for this market (literally took $200 for a family of 4 to get in on the cheapest ticket and buy one coke and one popcorn)

If it's anyone but LSU - there would of been less than 3,000 in the bldg

Only other team this would work with is Arkansas
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dixonfor6 View Post
    I thought this myself, but anyone that knows the game of basketball would say Tech was very impressive. LSU was #19, they had somewhat of a home crowd advantage… and they may be an elite 8 type squad this year. We played above our general expectation (mine included)
    I agree! But in a year, it won't be "wasn't Tech impressive?" It'll be "Tech is 3-42 against ranked teams." Hofstra beat #24 Arkansas. We can make this kind of noise, but only if we win these kinds of games.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Might of been 7,000 in the bldg (I think official box score showed 6,800 and change) - personally I didn't think the crowd was all that great but I think that was due to the ticket prices which were stout for this market (literally took $200 for a family of 4 to get in on the cheapest ticket and buy one coke and one popcorn)
    I know more than a few students that didn't go because of the prices.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    I agree! But in a year, it won't be "wasn't Tech impressive?" It'll be "Tech is 3-42 against ranked teams." Hofstra beat #24 Arkansas. We can make this kind of noise, but only if we win these kinds of games.

I know more than a few students that didn't go because of the prices.
    I know of more than a handful of Ruston die hards who didn’t for the same reason.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I know of more than a handful of Ruston die hards who didn’t for the same reason.
    LSU and LaTech have different definitions of diehards.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I saw very few LSU "diehards" -

Most were what I would classify as "Wal-mart" Barnies

I got so tired of listening to the group (25-35yr olds) around us that I finally asked if they had EVER been to a college basketball game - even a high school basketball game each with a double fisted 32ozer

Of course they hadn't - they wanted to know why what does it matter - I told them that without TECH - LSU would of never played this game in Bossier

I asked them when was the last time LSU played ANY regular season game in Shreveport/Bossier - of course they all said the Independence Bowl, I said "regular season game fellas" baseball, basketball or football...

Of course they were clueless
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    I saw very few LSU "diehards" -

Most were what I would classify as "Wal-mart" Barnies

I got so tired of listening to the group (25-35yr olds) around us that I finally asked if they had EVER been to a college basketball game - even a high school basketball game each with a double fisted 32ozer

Of course they hadn't - they wanted to know why what does it matter - I told them that without TECH - LSU would of never played this game in Bossier

I asked them when was the last time LSU played ANY regular season game in Shreveport/Bossier - of course they all said the Independence Bowl, I said "regular season game fellas" baseball, basketball or football...

Of course they were clueless
    That's true. I noticed alot of seemingly white collar families who came out just because it was LSU and something different to do. Looked like the classic LSU fans by default, and most of them didn't really know much about basketball period, much less either of the 2 teams. I felt like the Tech families there were much more informed. I guess my gripe is to those Tech fans who decided to stay in Ruston because of an hour drive and the tickets were too high. Definitely don't want to hear them gripe of the game's outcome when they were too cheap to drive over and watch it. That's what I was implying.

On the other hand, I've crossed paths several modest income folks who came because it was LSU and left having a much higher impression of LaTech than they did before. Tech showed well. The in-game production was solid, the spirit groups were good, and the team represented themselves (and us) well. I was/am proud to be a diehard Tech fan. This game only added to that pride.

To be clear, the diehards I was referring to are decades long Tech fans and ticket holders who had no desire to go to Bossier or pay that price for a “home” game.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

To be clear, the diehards I was referring to are decades long Tech fans and ticket holders who had no desire to go to Bossier or pay that price for a “home” game.
    Doesn't meet my definition of a diehard. Sound more like fans of convenience.

Just for complete disclosure I am NOT a diehard either, not anymore. I'm a "died-hard," past tense. No true diehard would have cared about ticket prices, location, or any other aspect. They would have been there...period. And, to prove that point, there were some true diehards there.

Yeah, I don't get it.

+ Reply to Thread