+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Louisiana Tech Announces Football Schedule Change for 2022 - latechsports.com

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Louisiana Tech Announces Football Schedule Change for 2022 - latechsports.com

Baylor was never going to play in Ruston. Our new AD recognized the HORRIBLE deal our former AD set up with Baylor. He asked for a guarantee from Baylor. Baylor said no.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Re: Louisiana Tech Announces Football Schedule Change for 2022 - latechsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by jycww View Post
    Is there a way to determine if we cancelled or was it Baylor? If Baylor cancelled, does that imply that we got $$$ to let them out of the contract? Wonder how much it was worth?
    No way we got money. The first game was never played.

There was probably disagreement with how to continue the series between the two parties, so it was cancelled. Inconvenience for Baylor, but I doubt they are victims of Tech making this decision out of nowhere.

Baylor probably wanted us to change our schedule to accomodate, move our return game back, etc.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Tech52 View Post
    No way we got money. The first game was never played.

There was probably disagreement with how to continue the series between the two parties, so it was cancelled. Inconvenience for Baylor, but I doubt they are victims of Tech making this decision out of nowhere.

Baylor probably wanted us to change our schedule to accomodate, move our return game back, etc.
    Last year's game would have paid Tech $500K. No money exchange on the other two games. So Tech adds a $1M game this year plus doesn't have to worry about a last-minute look to fill a home game next year.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

We are getting only $500K from Mizzou? If so, who the hell is responsible for that?

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    We are getting only $500K from Mizzou? If so, who the hell is responsible for that?
    Good question. But that was all the Baylor contract was paying to go there twice plus a home game.

Must have made a concession to Missouri for having to buy out their Middle Tennessee road game.

Certainly no guaranteed win, but definitely a more winnable game than Baylor was going to be.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Is there a way to determine if we cancelled or was it Baylor? If Baylor cancelled, does that imply that we got $$$ to let them out of the contract? Wonder how much it was worth?
    Mack Rhodes (Baylor AD) described it as a "mutual decision" based on it being a bit of a problem for both schools. There was no buyout.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Honestly -

Mizzou is a much more winnable game vs Baylor and we were getting hosed on the money side of the Baylor series anyway...
    I don't disagree with that. But Baylor was also going to play LA Tech in Ruston next year (2023), and that is a much bigger program loss than possibly getting a win at Missouri. I'd like to know WHO cancelled this series, and WHY? No reason given in the stupid article.

The entire three-game series with Baylor has been cancelled. The Bulldogs were supposed to open the 2020 season in Waco, but the game was canceled due to Covid19 issues within the Tech program.

The remaining two games on the contract included the 2022 opener and a 2023 home date against the Bears. Tech is looking for a replacement home game for the 2023 home date.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    USM could do Ruston in '23 and Hattiesburg in '24 (we could consider the @NC State game as one of our "home-and-away G5 series" except that the timing is off for the 6 home game schedule). Maybe we could return a USM game in 2026.

UNT has a series scheduled with SMU that will be changing to a conference game. So they could probably do Ruston in '23 and Denton whenever. They actually have SMU and Memphis for 2023 and will be looking.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/louisiana-tech/
    I don't care if Tech never plays USM again....in anything. They're a frickin Sunbelt school.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I don't disagree with that. But Baylor was also going to play LA Tech in Ruston next year (2023), and that is a much bigger program loss than possibly getting a win at Missouri. I'd like to know WHO cancelled this series, and WHY? No reason given in the stupid article.
    Do you really believe Baylor was going to come to Ruston?

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken View Post
    Baylor fans are saying we wanted out of it, but I don't know if that has been confirmed. According to them, Mizzou contacted TECH to play there so they could have a home game. I don't know any of the details, but what they are saying makes sense. Baylor fans are not at all happy about it, and they don't have an opponent yet, so I am guessing at least part of what they are saying is correct.

If that's the case, then LA Tech screwed Baylor TWICE on this same contract. LA Tech cancelled the first game in the series against Baylor in 2020, giving "Covid issues" as a reason for the cancellation. Now this.

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Of course. I did believe it. But then, I'm not small minded, and I believe we all put on our pants one leg at a time. Now I'm hearing from Baylor sources that TECH cancelled the series. Which means LA Tech burned Baylor TWICE on this one contract.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Yes. They play at other smaller school locations. Why not come to TECH? They played at TX St. this past year. I hate we changed the game for purely self serving reasons, but they are hunting for a game right now to replace it just like we are for next year.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken View Post
    Yes. They play at other smaller school locations. Why not come to TECH? They played at TX St. this past year. I hate we changed the game for purely self serving reasons, but they are hunting for a game right now to replace it just like we are for next year.
    Also, I remember ULM signed a Home-and-Home (not 2 for 1) deal with Baylor. They played at ULM in 2012.

I just called and spoke with some of our athletic department leadership. LA Tech definitely cancelled the series. And I'm not happy about it. Apparently Dr Woods was not happy with the 2 for 1 contract Tech signed, and he apparently determined that it was a financial loser. Furthermore, Woods told my contacts that it would be almost impossible for Tech to make up the 2020 game that Tech cancelled with Baylor due (supposedly) to LA Tech's COVID concerns.

You may recall this was the same day that ULL damn near became a household name in college football because the Cajuns showed up and PLAYED and beat Iowa St on national TV. Meanwhile LA Tech presented excuses.

So now, instead of having a Top 10 team come to Ruston in 2023, it becomes just an other road trip to another big school nobody cares about. Instead of having our first ever possible sellout in JAS, now we'll have nothing. So instead of the City of Ruston merchants receiving a flood of LA Tech and Baylor football fans into town spending money in Lincoln Parish bars, coffee shops, hotels and restaurants, now there will be nothing.

In my opinion, the LA Tech leadership needs to quit throwing the LA Tech football program under the bus. Almost every year, the Tech leadership does something extremely stupid that ends up HARMING our football program. From the Indy Bowl fiasco in 2012 that resulted in a 9-3 Tech team not receiving a bowl bid, to suspending 6 starters on the eve of the CUSA championship game in 2014, to further suspending our QB1 in 2019 for 2 games on the eve of two "make or break" CUSA games that could have easily ended with Tech finishing the season 13-1, as CUSA champs, and a shot at a NY Day bowl, to NOW THIS very stupid contract cancellation in 2021.

The disappointment with LA Tech football just never seems to stop. How can the players, Tech students, Tech fans and downtown Ruston merchants and the City of Ruston be happy about this?

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I just called and spoke with some of our athletic department leadership. LA Tech definitely cancelled the series. And I'm not happy about it. Apparently Dr Woods was not happy with the 2 for 1 contract Tech signed, and he apparently determined that it was a financial loser. Furthermore, Woods told my contacts that it would be almost impossible for Tech to make up the 2020 game that Tech cancelled with Baylor due (supposedly) to LA Tech's COVID concerns.

You may recall this was the same day that ULL damn near became a household name in college football because the Cajuns showed up and PLAYED and beat Iowa St on national TV. Meanwhile LA Tech presented excuses.

So now, instead of having a Top 10 team come to Ruston in 2023, it becomes just an other road trip to another big school nobody cares about. Instead of having our first ever possible sellout in JAS, now we'll have nothing. So instead of the City of Ruston merchants receiving a flood of LA Tech and Baylor football fans into town spending money in Lincoln Parish bars, coffee shops, hotels and restaurants, now there will be nothing.

In my opinion, the LA Tech leadership needs to quit throwing the LA Tech football program under the bus. Almost every year, the Tech leadership does something extremely stupid that ends up HARMING our football program. From the Indy Bowl fiasco in 2012 that resulted in a 9-3 Tech team not receiving a bowl bid, to suspending 6 starters on the eve of the CUSA championship game in 2014, to further suspending our QB1 in 2019 for 2 games on the eve of two "make or break" CUSA games that could have easily ended with Tech finishing the season 13-1, as CUSA champs, and a shot at a NY Day bowl, to NOW THIS very stupid contract cancellation in 2021.

The disappointment with LA Tech football just never seems to stop. How can the players, Tech students, Tech fans and downtown Ruston merchants and the City of Ruston be happy about this?
    I don't know the financials, but Dr. Wood apparently thought it was a lose/lose for Tech.

1) we are replacing the Road Baylor Game in 2022 that we would not have received any $ for with a payday at Missouri. Also a more winnable game.
    2) If Dr. Wood stays true to his word, the 2023 Home Baylor game would be replaced with a G5 home game. Definitely won't bring in the same gate receipts as Baylor, but I don't think he's "throwing the football program under the bus."

• 09/02 - at SMU
    • 09/09 - Northwestern State
    • 09/23 - at Nebraska
    • 08/31 - TBD FCS
    • 09/07 - at NC State
    • 09/21 - Tulsa
    • 11/23 - at Arkansas
    • 08/30 -
    • 09/06 - NC State
    • 09/25 - at Tulsa
    • 09/26 vs. UL-Lafayette
    • 09/17 at Kansas