+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Preview: LA Tech vs. Southern Miss

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Preview: LA Tech vs. Southern Miss

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Very happy to see Willis finally heating up. From scoring only 4 pts at UTEP & 3 pts at UTSA last week, to scoring 21 last night.

And what's going on with Junior? In the last 3 games, he's scored 11 pts (at UTEP), 12 pts (at UTSA) and then only 7 last night.

The wins are happening, and that's what matters. But this team is very unpredictable. Maybe that the way Konkol prefers it?
    I still believe Jr doesn’t know his role. Defensive rebounds seem to go his way a lot, so that’s great. To me, he is a pudgy 6’7” who has trouble playing anyone 6’9” or bigger. For him to be effective, he needs a midrange game and we need a true big, like 6’10” to force a team to choose who they will guard in or around the paint.

Champ Dawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant future Dawg Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I still believe Jr doesn’t know his role. Defensive rebounds seem to go his way a lot, so that’s great. To me, he is a pudgy 6’7” who has trouble playing anyone 6’9” or bigger. For him to be effective, he needs a midrange game and we need a true big, like 6’10” to force a team to choose who they will guard in or around the paint.
    Kenny Hunter is listed at 6'10". He is athletic, but to be a power on the inside I think he is going to need to hit the weight room and make sure he eats his Wheaties on a regular basis. He kind of reminds me of Willie Simmons from way back in the day when I was a student at Tech.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen a 6'9 or bigger player who can guard Jr by himself. Rebounds don't "go his way", he's a great rebounder.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    I haven't seen a 6'9 or bigger player who can guard Jr by himself. Rebounds don't "go his way", he's a great rebounder.
    You are probably right. I have seen a few games at the TAC this year and several on tv. Seems like right place right time when teams run a perimeter offense like us and there is no one in the paint for an offensive rebound.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Fan View Post
    Kenny Hunter is listed at 6'10". He is athletic, but to be a power on the inside I think he is going to need to hit the weight room and make sure he eats his Wheaties on a regular basis. He kind of reminds me of Willie Simmons from way back in the day when I was a student at Tech.
    That’s what I mean, if Hunter was 20 lbs heavier and they could both be on the floor together, I think teams would struggle to guard them both.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

That’s what I mean, if Hunter was 20 lbs heavier and they could both be on the floor together, I think teams would struggle to guard them both.
    Definitely agree with this. If Junior could operate from the high post and have another low post option on his drive, he'd be unstoppable. At this point, he has to try to kick it out when they collapse on him.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    Definitely agree with this. If Junior could operate from the high post and have another low post option on his drive, he'd be unstoppable. At this point, he has to try to kick it out when they collapse on him.
    Correct! Luckily, he does know how to kick it out of the post to an open man, though. I do disagree with the statement above that he doesn't do well against taller players, though. WKU had some skinny dude in the post that seemed like he was 10 feet tall. I think he is 7' something.. Lofton scored around 22 points in that game and handled him without much of a problem. Lofton has amazing footwork and great ball handling skills. I think he suffers more when he is double and triple teamed, but the players that are doing that better be REALLY good, because Lofton is amazing with the pump fake and footwork hook shot under the basket. MOSTLY I love how unselfish he is with the ball, though. When he can't get it to the basket, he passes it out to an open player. GREAT vision! That means that he is not going to score 20 plus every game, but if we have a hot shooter that night (and usually at least one of our other players is on on any particular day), he will let them take the glory and do what is best for the team. THAT is a star!

I do remember the tall kid giving us fits in the first half. However, I remember him having some foul trouble in the second half and Jr. took advantage. I guess my main thought is that I have no idea how Jr’s game translates to todays NBA. If that is the goal, then that’s what I’m basing his progress on.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I do remember the tall kid giving us fits in the first half. However, I remember him having some foul trouble in the second half and Jr. took advantage. I guess my main thought is that I have no idea how Jr’s game translates to todays NBA. If that is the goal, then that’s what I’m basing his progress on.
    I agree. I think that his performance in getting that gold medal probably got him a LOT of attention from the pros. If he can keep improving his stats AND be a great passer to open guys, I think he will be fine.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Hope we show up and play a complete game today, that was just awful the other night, especially from our Big Three. Start fast, build and maintain a huge lead and then we can clear the bench in the 2nd half...so Ponder can score a few more buckets. Want to see Stacey Thomas get some serious minutes today. He had a great "throw down" basket the other night.

FOCUS! every shot, every play, every minute...it's not about taking care of business in H'burg, it's about the bigger picture and establishing good habits. I would be going ballistic if I were head coach, and especially on Lofton, Williams, and Archibald! Practice yesterday would have been brutal!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Oops, I mean tomorrow, we play Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Oops, I mean tomorrow, we play Sunday.
    Just because of that one mistake, your Snopes fact check came back 95% false. Ha!

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Didn’t Junior also have two quick fouls that trabslated to not having a big first half?

You know, I think he has a pretty good midrange shot which will probably get better. Thing is he can't shoot it now because there's usually nobody in there with him who could possibly get the rebound if he misses. His ball handling and passing are good and getting better. He's a force in the paint, and an exceptional defender/rebounder. The kid can dribble coast to coast and finish on a break if he wants to. He's really, really good at basketball. Better than Millsap at this stage and that's saying alot.

Just because of that one mistake, your Snopes fact check came back 95% false. Ha!
    Dang! I need to tighten up.

+ Reply to Thread