+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Jealous of ULM

  1. #1
    Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ruston
    Posts
    17,612

    Jealous of ULM

    Watching our kids play baseball and softball at the ULM intramural complex. Itís every bit as nice as the new complex in Ruston. Where did the money come from for a floundering university that is cutting programs left and right to build something like this?

  2. #2
    65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ruston, LA
    Posts
    14,057

    Re: Jealous of ULM

    Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Watching our kids play baseball and softball at the ULM intramural complex. It’s every bit as nice as the new complex in Ruston. Where did the money come from for a floundering university that is cutting programs left and right to build something like this?
    I don't know about the other programs but I have heard some things about Bowden's energy. I think he is waking up a lot of his potential donor base.

  3. #3
    Champ Dowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond repute Dowty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Haughton, LA
    Posts
    1,644

    Re: Jealous of ULM

    Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Watching our kids play baseball and softball at the ULM intramural complex. It’s every bit as nice as the new complex in Ruston. Where did the money come from for a floundering university that is cutting programs left and right to build something like this?
    They have some nice fields there, but it stops at the fields. Ruston’s complex is way better overall. Better parking, concessions, layout, seating, and cleaner in Ruston. It’s really not all that close.

    Ready to see how the overhaul at Tinsley went and play some ball there this spring.

  4. #4
    Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ruston
    Posts
    17,612

    Re: Jealous of ULM

    Quote Originally Posted by Dowty View Post
    They have some nice fields there, but it stops at the fields. Ruston’s complex is way better overall. Better parking, concessions, layout, seating, and cleaner in Ruston. It’s really not all that close.

    Ready to see how the overhaul at Tinsley went and play some ball there this spring.
    The seating on our larger fields is definitely an upgrade over anything that they have. I’ll admit, I did not go to the bathroom there and I just got popcorn from the concession. ULM only has four fields there, so it’s definitely not on the scale of the complex in Ruston. I’m just saying it’s a shame that tech doesn’t have anything like that, and I don’t know that I have seen any plans for something like that.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    57,610

    Re: Jealous of ULM

    Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Watching our kids play baseball and softball at the ULM intramural complex. It’s every bit as nice as the new complex in Ruston. Where did the money come from for a floundering university that is cutting programs left and right to build something like this?
    Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    The seating on our larger fields is definitely an upgrade over anything that they have. I’ll admit, I did not go to the bathroom there and I just got popcorn from the concession. ULM only has four fields there, so it’s definitely not on the scale of the complex in Ruston. I’m just saying it’s a shame that tech doesn’t have anything like that, and I don’t know that I have seen any plans for something like that.
    The complex goes back years (15ish?). Not positive, but I'm pretty sure it was initially built with private funds on private property that backed up to the campus and was otherwise land locked. It had served as a hub for little league and soft ball tournaments long before the Sterlington complex was built.

  6. #6
    65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ruston, LA
    Posts
    14,057

    Re: Jealous of ULM

    Interesting (and sad) note, my SIL just applied to a bunch of Louisiana universities. Tech (obviously), McNeese, etc. ULL was the only one who aggressively pursued her, so guess where she's going? This is a family that has been going to Tech for 100 years.

    Thought of this thread and didn't feel like making a new one. I'm not real bullish on our leadership academically right now.

  7. #7
    Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Monroe
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Jealous of ULM

    Looks like your brother and other members of the family didn't do a very good job of upselling the family's Alma mater. It's not all on the University. We as fans, students and graduates need to do our part too!

    My son talked about going to ULL when considering schools after high school and I told him that the only way he would be going there is if paid for it himself. He went to Tech!

  8. #8
    65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ruston, LA
    Posts
    14,057

    Re: Jealous of ULM

    Quote Originally Posted by LABulldog View Post
    Looks like your brother and other members of the family didn't do a very good job of upselling the family's Alma mater. It's not all on the University. We as fans, students and graduates need to do our part too!

    My son talked about going to ULL when considering schools after high school and I told him that the only way he would be going there is if paid for it himself. He went to Tech!
    There's only so many losing games you can take people too, so I probably did more harm than good

  9. #9
    65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ruston, LA
    Posts
    14,057

    Re: Jealous of ULM

    I also noticed aggressiveness from Miss St for my brother. The Miss St / Tech divide has always been a sore point in our family, reinforced by their frequent on-field lopsided whippings. If Tech isn't acting like they want these students, its difficult to sell something else (especially when the alternative is shiny, don't get me started).

  10. #10
    Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Monroe
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Jealous of ULM

    Even though I'm giving you a hard time () you are correct in your assessment. I want Tech to win in all things, but with our recent track record it's hard to get past some of our upper management's indecisions and pure bad decisions along with some head scratching blunders by some of our athletic coaching staff. We've got to get it figured out and somehow get the train back on the track!

  11. #11
    65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ruston, LA
    Posts
    14,057

    Re: Jealous of ULM

    Quote Originally Posted by LABulldog View Post
    Even though I'm giving you a hard time () you are correct in your assessment. I want Tech to win in all things, but with our recent track record it's hard to get past some of our upper management's indecisions and pure bad decisions along with some head scratching blunders by some of our athletic coaching staff. We've got to get it figured out and somehow get the train back on the track!
    All in good fun. At some point Tech has to meet me halfway!

    I'm saying this is wider than athletics. They just shuttered my undergrad program (nano) after putting an unofficial raise and hiring freeze on us, basically starved us out.

  12. #12
    Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Prosper, Tx
    Posts
    4,658

    Re: Jealous of ULM

    Academic recruiting on our part has for as long as I can remember has been horrible. If we just tapped the DFW and Houston markets of the kids that finished between 7%-10% in their graduating class, no matter how many we got, we would raise enrollment and guarantee they were quality academic kids. Now expand that to whatever neighboring/non-neighboring state you want and fiddle with the graduation range, and BAM, quality students, larger student body, and more money....

  13. #13
    65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ruston, LA
    Posts
    14,057

    Re: Jealous of ULM

    Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    Academic recruiting on our part has for as long as I can remember has been horrible. If we just tapped the DFW and Houston markets of the kids that finished between 7%-10% in their graduating class, no matter how many we got, we would raise enrollment and guarantee they were quality academic kids. Now expand that to whatever neighboring/non-neighboring state you want and fiddle with the graduation range, and BAM, quality students, larger student body, and more money....
    The behavior of any large organization can be explained by assuming it is run by a cabal of its enemies.

  14. #14
    Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Temple, TX
    Posts
    2,047

    Re: Jealous of ULM

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    Interesting (and sad) note, my SIL just applied to a bunch of Louisiana universities. Tech (obviously), McNeese, etc. ULL was the only one who aggressively pursued her, so guess where she's going? This is a family that has been going to Tech for 100 years.

    Thought of this thread and didn't feel like making a new one. I'm not real bullish on our leadership academically right now.
    Going all the way back to when I was looking at colleges (1979), Tech has had a reputation of not actively pursuing local students. Almost every school I had any contact with recruited better than Tech did. If it hadn't been for some pressure applied by a local university benefactor, I would almost certainly have gone elsewhere.

    For some reason, Tech has always seemed to think they'll just automatically get students from Louisiana.

  15. #15
    Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    57,610

    Re: Jealous of ULM

    Tech sucks up to engineering students primarily. I've seen our president turn his nose up at a 4.0 non-engineering student in more than one public function.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts