+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggest guitar amps for sons acoustic/electric

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Suggest guitar amps for sons acoustic/electric

Getting my son a new guitar and need suggestions for a decent small amount for him to start out on. Hoping not to spend more than about $150.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: Suggest guitar amps for sons acoustic/electric

Is it an acoustic guitar with a pre-amp or is it a semi-hollow body?
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Pre-amp

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Pre-amp
    Gotcha. What's he want the amp to accomplish? Most often, when you're playing in a place with a sound system, you'll just run directly into the board. For that, your money maybe better spent on a quality direct box: LR Baggs Para DI.

Now, if he wants an acoustic amp so that he can practice with a band in a garage or something, you could look at the Fender Acoustasonic 15, but the Acoustasonic 40 is a better amp, but more expensive.

In either case, he'd probably still want to go directly into the board when playing through a system.

I've had good experiences with cheap Fender amps, but they're cheap amps. Fine for practice, but not great for live performances.

Mainly just practice in his room or with his teacher. He was looking at a Fender and my brother started with one, so I was leaning that way.

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Mainly just practice in his room or with his teacher. He was looking at a Fender and my brother started with one, so I was leaning that way.
    Most acoustics are plenty loud if you're not playing with other amplified instruments. But, amps can be fun to play around with. My philosophy with my kids is less amplification is better...

But, yours may be more talented than mine!

Let’s just say he is developing. I can tell which song he is playing most of the time.

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

I have one of these that I really like. Not an acoustic amp, but it works fine with an acoustic. And it has a headphone jack!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...p-with-effects

Been trying to learn how to play for a couple of years now. Found the big fat E string the other day, so I'm progressing.

I know a couple of people who learned Via YouTube during shutdown.

Big Dog DrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to all

About the only time I want to plug in my acoustic at home is to add some type of chorus effect. So if you can find an amp with a decent chorus and/or reverb that could be a good option. Of course, there are always pedals that you an add to any amp and you can really go down a rabbit hole once he gets into those.

+ Reply to Thread