+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Louisiana Tech Football Adds Five More to 2022 Signing Class - latechsports.com

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Louisiana Tech Football Adds Five More to 2022 Signing Class - latechsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    You missed the bigger point.

And this has only been discussed ad nauseum on this board: Holtz is a mediocre coach who produces mediocre teams yielding a mediocre program. If MEDIOCRE is your thing, and maybe it is, then I can see why you think Holtz was a good coach, had a good run here. Like any true blue Tech fan I wanted Holtz to be successful. Just like I HOPE Cumbie is successful. If he is not, I will call him out too. As for Holtz he arrived under a loser's cloud as the USF fans who flooded our board warned us about. So, I was concerned but open-minded. His first year was a disaster, 2013, 4-8. Now usually coaches are not judged by their first year. Saban had a losing record his first year at Bama....hello! And that is why I posted I was "hopeful" after the 2014 season. But, as it turned out and as many us said only a MILLION times, he reached a plateau in 2014 that he never got off of. Remember this: "Is there nothing more?" I and others asked that question hundreds of times. We could see the blatantly obvious MEDIOCRITY of Holtz's team (program). It's not my fault that others lack the vision, the knowledge to recognize the quality of coaching. I say the same thing about Eric Konkol now.

So, the big question is: Is mediocrity good enough?

Holtz, Konkol, and I think Lane Burroughs, and yes, Brooke Stoehr too, are all, at best MEDIOCRE. Maybe that's the best we can hope for at Tech...only, it's not because Tech basketball has had Leon Barmore, Andy Russo, and Tommy Joe Eagles all GREAT coaches! So, we don't have to settle...

I hope Cumbie proves to be a great coach! That would mean we won't keep him longer than 2-3 years, but we need a shot of greatness right about now. If he is just mediocre, well then, he can buy a big house in Ruston and settle in for a spell.
    That’s a good post and I agree. Tech football has been mediocre for the past 40 years though. Maybe someday someone can get Tech over that hill.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Re: Louisiana Tech Football Adds Five More to 2022 Signing Class - latechsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    You missed the bigger point.

And this has only been discussed ad nauseum on this board: Holtz is a mediocre coach who produces mediocre teams yielding a mediocre program. If MEDIOCRE is your thing, and maybe it is, then I can see why you think Holtz was a good coach, had a good run here. Like any true blue Tech fan I wanted Holtz to be successful. Just like I HOPE Cumbie is successful. If he is not, I will call him out too. As for Holtz he arrived under a loser's cloud as the USF fans who flooded our board warned us about. So, I was concerned but open-minded. His first year was a disaster, 2013, 4-8. Now usually coaches are not judged by their first year. Saban had a losing record his first year at Bama....hello! And that is why I posted I was "hopeful" after the 2014 season. But, as it turned out and as many us said only a MILLION times, he reached a plateau in 2014 that he never got off of. Remember this: "Is there nothing more?" I and others asked that question hundreds of times. We could see the blatantly obvious MEDIOCRITY of Holtz's team (program). It's not my fault that others lack the vision, the knowledge to recognize the quality of coaching. I say the same thing about Eric Konkol now.

So, the big question is: Is mediocrity good enough?

Holtz, Konkol, and I think Lane Burroughs, and yes, Brooke Stoehr too, are all, at best MEDIOCRE. Maybe that's the best we can hope for at Tech...only, it's not because Tech basketball has had Leon Barmore, Andy Russo, and Tommy Joe Eagles all GREAT coaches! So, we don't have to settle...

I hope Cumbie proves to be a great coach! That would mean we won't keep him longer than 2-3 years, but we need a shot of greatness right about now. If he is just mediocre, well then, he can buy a big house in Ruston and settle in for a spell.
    Great post. Holtz had gobs of talent, especially in his first 4 years here, but he couldn’t do anything with it. The 2015 team was packed full of NFL talent. Carlos Henderson, Paul Turner, Trent Taylor, Jeff Driskel, Xavier Woods, Vernon Butler, Kenneth Dixon, Boston Scott, Jaylon Ferguson, Kentrell Bryce and I’ve probably missed a few. Imagine having an offense with Jeff at QB, Trent in the slot, Henderson and Turner at WR, and Dixon in the backfield. How do you not blow people out of the water? You let Holtz be in charge of the offense, that’s how. We can get really good talent to come to Ruston, I hope Cumbie can manage it better than Holtz did. I hope in 3 years we are looking for his replacement.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    We can get really good talent to come to Ruston, I hope Cumbie can manage it better than Holtz did. I hope in 3 years we are looking for his replacement.
    I hope Cumbie is Napier 2.0. Best team in school history in year 2, only to get better in years 3 & 4. And, Sonny turns down all the Big 12 schools that come asking. No to Texas Tech, no to TCU, no to Baylor, no no no. Sonny will wait like Billy did for a blueblood program. He only leaves when Oklahoma, Texas or a comparable program comes calling. That's what I want. If Cincinnati, Coastal Carolina, ULL, and Houston can finish as a ranked team, why can't we?

You scenario isn't bad, but let's get greedy?

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    I hope Cumbie is Napier 2.0. Best team in school history in year 2, only to get better in years 3 & 4. And, Sonny turns down all the Big 12 schools that come asking. No to Texas Tech, no to TCU, no to Baylor, no no no. Sonny will wait like Billy did for a blueblood program. He only leaves when Oklahoma, Texas or a comparable program comes calling. That's what I want. If Cincinnati, Coastal Carolina, ULL, and Houston can finish as a ranked team, why can't we?

You scenario isn't bad, but let's get greedy?
    There’s no reason why it can’t happen.

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    Great post. Holtz had gobs of talent, especially in his first 4 years here, but he couldn’t do anything with it. The 2015 team was packed full of NFL talent. Carlos Henderson, Paul Turner, Trent Taylor, Jeff Driskel, Xavier Woods, Vernon Butler, Kenneth Dixon, Boston Scott, Jaylon Ferguson, Kentrell Bryce and I’ve probably missed a few. Imagine having an offense with Jeff at QB, Trent in the slot, Henderson and Turner at WR, and Dixon in the backfield. How do you not blow people out of the water? You let Holtz be in charge of the offense, that’s how. We can get really good talent to come to Ruston, I hope Cumbie can manage it better than Holtz did. I hope in 3 years we are looking for his replacement.
    The obvious answer regarding Holtz is that he worked at his position considerably less if at all compared to everyone else on the team. He’s the guy in your work group that makes no worthwhile contribution but the boss likes his BS jokes and enjoys his ass kissing attitude.

+ Reply to Thread