+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Other Tournaments

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Re: Other Tournaments

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Fan View Post
    I wonder what Junior's post means. Could it mean they are not done playing for this year, or this year is done, let's start working for next year? https://twitter.com/itzjunior34/stat...82226057539593
    The NCAA, NIT, The Basketball Classic, and College Basketball Invitational fields have all been announced. Unless we turned down a CBI invite, nobody wanted us. Our season is over.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe View Post
    I hope we get into the NIT but it is doubtful. I will be upset if we participate in any of the pay to play tournaments.

It is time to revaluate our MBB program from top to bottom - coaches, support staff, players, schedules, recruiting, etc. We have failed for 3 decades. It is time for an entirely new strategy.
    I agree but I'm really not sure what can be done. I guess that's why I don't make 6 figures to run an athletic department

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Both FAU and Rice are heading to the CBI Tourney held in Daytona Beach, Florida. I find it curious that some of their fans are excited about it. But, know what, that's a good thing, especially for FAU fans who can easily attend.

Someone posted that they better enjoy this because the AAC does not allow its members to participate in such post-season tournaments. Don't know if that is true, but if so, the new AAC had better get over itself. You ain't that good.
    The NIT needs to be expanded to 64 teams like the WNIT, and the buy-in tournaments need to go away.

Biggest obstacle to that move is ESPN.

Champ Dawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant future Dawg Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    The NIT needs to be expanded to 64 teams like the WNIT, and the buy-in tournaments need to go away.

Biggest obstacle to that move is ESPN.
    The WNIT is a for-profit tournament that is not run by the NCAA. With a 64 team bracket, I guess the WNIT is able to keep other for-profit WBB tournaments from popping up. With Title IX being what it is, I'm a bit surprised the WNIT is not run by the NCAA (even if it had to drop down to a 32 team bracket).

Champ Dawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant future Dawg Fan's Avatar

I wonder if Tech was given a deadline to commit to either the CBI or CIT, but they wanted to see how things played out in other tournaments before making a commitment. I remember a good Tech football team missing out on a bowl game because Tech didn't want to commit at the time an offer was made. I find it difficult to believe there wasn't at least some interest in having the Bulldogs play in a tournament.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    The NCAA, NIT, The Basketball Classic, and College Basketball Invitational fields have all been announced. Unless we turned down a CBI invite, nobody wanted us. Our season is over.
    I wonder if Tech was given a deadline to commit to either the CBI and CIT, but they wanted to see how things played out in other tournaments before making a commitment. I remember a good Tech football team missing out on a bowl game because Tech didn't want to commit at the time an offer was made. I find it difficult to believe there wasn't at least some interest in having the Bulldogs play in a tournament.
    It looks like The Basketball Classic (CIT) still has the majority of their spots to fill (20 out of 32). Maybe we have a spot available there. Guess we will find out on Monday. UTEP is in that tournament, they play at home Tuesday night, opponent tbd. Yep tbd. LOL

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

The WNIT is a for-profit tournament that is not run by the NCAA. With a 64 team bracket, I guess the WNIT is able to keep other for-profit WBB tournaments from popping up. With Title IX being what it is, I'm a bit surprised the WNIT is not run by the NCAA (even if it had to drop down to a 32 team bracket).
    There were other women's tournaments besides the WNIT before 2020 even with a 64-team WNIT. 132 teams is already more than enough in postseason play.

The NIT may be administered by the NCAA, but ESPN is really running it. And that is a problem.

Nobody wants to fork over a minimum $6,500 guarantee to host a TBC game. And who really needs additional travel expenses.

Not sure what to make of this statement on the TBC's website - "Each game of the Basketball Classic will be held on the campus of one of the participating schools. All gate receipts will be collected by the Basketball Classic, enabling a wider range of schools to participate. Schools can host Classic games without the responsibility of an additional financial commitment." It almost makes it sound like there is no set minimum a hosting school is required to guarantee. The games will be broadcast on ESPN+ so maybe there is some money coming in from there. Of course even 1000 tickets at $10.00 would be $10,000. https://www.thebasketballclassic.com/about-us.php

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I'm not a fan of pay for play tournaments -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    I'm not a fan of pay for play tournaments -
    Beggars can't be choosers.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Beggars can't be choosers.
    From what I can tell we are not begging -

From the get go it was going to be NIT or nothing if we lost in the finals
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    From what I can tell we are not begging -

From the get go it was going to be NIT or nothing if we lost in the finals
    But the program IS begging, if you understand what I mean.

Back in 1986 a 16-13 Tech got an NIT bid. Was that based on what the '86 team had done? Nope! It was born of the success the program was riding on. We were a known commodity and had the reputation of being a legit program. Yes, the '86 team did play, as I recall, a representative schedule vs. some toughies. But 16-13 was not good enough, on its own merits, to get us in. "Rep" got us in. And then we made the most of it by going 4-1 and reaching MSG, the Final Four.

So now, in 2022, Tech hoops is considered to be mediocre, a real Blah! No one is gonna do us any favors, we have to go out and seize it. Of course, it won't help to enter a pay-to-play and then lose early, especially be one and done. Maybe that's the real issue. No one in charge at Tech has any confidence in Konkol's bunch.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

I don't see a need for CBI/CIT with this team. We have a solid core (only losing AA & X). I'd love to get the youngsters some PT, but you don't go to a tournament and sit AA & X.

What I wouldn't mind is a international summer trip. Once the roster is settle. With a trip like that, give your starters 5-10 minutes (if that much) and let the youngsters play.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Tony Paul @TonyPaul1984

I am hearing The Basketball Classic -- the old http://CollegeInsider.com tournament -- is having one hell of a time fielding a full 32-team tournament. Lots of schools have said no, including Oakland (which isn't healthy enough to play on). Detroit plays Florida Gulf Coast.

#VegasOcho @VegasSixteen Thoughts and prayers…

+ Reply to Thread