+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks Like Konkol Will Be The Next Head Coach at Tulsa…

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Looks Like Konkol Will Be The Next Head Coach at Tulsa…

I agree with that. Truly great coaches are more than extremely rare. There are a ton of middle of the road coaches and Konkol is that.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Jeff Goodman

@GoodmanHoops

BREAKING: Tim Jankovich is out at SMU, source told @Stadium
    .UNT’s Grand McCasland is the leader to replace Jankovich.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

TULSA? Heck yes. They value quality basketball 100 times more than Louisiana Tech has since Dan Reneau was foisted upon us.

As an alum, I still would go there in a heartbeat.

Champ LEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud of LEEDAWG's Avatar

Dr. Wood's vision upward for LA Tech athletics likely required the replacement of some head coaches to put his own stamp on the athletic department, especially with the two "biggest" programs (FB & MBB). I tend to think this is the result of one of those unwritten agreements that comes with a change in leadership. Maybe it is another one of those mutual agreements to move on except it was done more smoothly by Konkol than by Holtz. Congrats to Konkol on the landing the Tulsa job. I am looking forward to the change though while hoping much of this year's team will remain at Tech.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    Jeff Goodman

@GoodmanHoops

BREAKING: Tim Jankovich is out at SMU, source told @Stadium
    .UNT’s Grand McCasland is the leader to replace Jankovich.
    Jeff Goodman@GoodmanHoops
    Source: It’s not a slam dunk that Grant McCasland takes SMU.

SMU would need to come at him with a STRONG-A$$ OFFER.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by LEEDAWG View Post
    Dr. Wood's vision upward for LA Tech athletics likely required the replacement of some head coaches to put his own stamp on the athletic department, especially with the two "biggest" programs (FB & MBB). I tend to think this is the result of one of those unwritten agreements that comes with a change in leadership. Maybe it is another one of those mutual agreements to move on except it was done more smoothly by Konkol than by Holtz. Congrats to Konkol on the landing the Tulsa job. I am looking forward to the change though while hoping much of this year's team will remain at Tech.
    Your comparing apples to oranges - no changing of the guard, no unwritten mutual agreement, no being eased out the door -

Look at what happened in football the final two regular season games of the 2019 season, the entire 2020 Covid season and then last year - Holtz was shown the door in a very public fashion

2019-2020 finished 22-8 and tied for 2nd in the conference with tourney cancelled due to covid, 2020-2021 a CUSA West Title and 3rd Place NIT finish, 2021-2022 appearance in tourney title game & another 24 win season

If Konkol stays we are probably preseason favorites even if Jr doesn't come back...

Remember he was the 3rd assistant on Miami's staff when we hired him - he had some growing pains of learning the job of HC but the last three years had settled in nicely and his team had progressed to the point of reloading instead of rebuilding

Those of y'all who think this is in any way similar to the Holtz situation need to step back and reset
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    TULSA? Heck yes. They value quality basketball 100 times more than Louisiana Tech has since Dan Reneau was foisted upon us.

As an alum, I still would go there in a heartbeat.
    Yep -

Nolan Richardson
    JD Barnette
    Tubby Smith
    Bill Self
    Buzz Williamson
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

I thought "mediocre" meant average (like 50/50). If yall think Konkol was mediocre, you don't really want to see mediocre. He was good. That's why Tulsa hired him because he was good.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    There is always some uncertainly when stepping out to find a new coach and I get that. But I don't get the doom and gloom I see from Tech fans (usually on Facebook) who imagine we've lost a Coach K in the rough. Sheesh, people. Sure, he wasn't the worst coach we could have gotten but it was very clear he'd reached his ceiling here. Maybe he'll reach higher at Tulsa and I don't begrudge that. But let's be greedy when others are fearful here!
    Agreed. Konkol did well but nothing amazing though it was looking to be coming in the next year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    I thought "mediocre" meant average (like 50/50). If yall think Konkol was mediocre, you don't really want to see mediocre. He was good. That's why Tulsa hired him because he was good.
    I'd say "consistently above-average" is the correct description.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LEEDAWG View Post
    No doubt Dr. Wood has a vision for Tech athletics unlike any other recent ad. I totally agree with you there, and it is an awesome feeling having someone qualified in that chair. I also agree most ad's would like to hire their own coaches. Also no doubt Skip was shown the door, no options for him. HE HAD TO GO. Where I disagree is I think this move is entirely on Konkol. Tulsa is a step up from Tech for two reasons. One is they have a great history in mens basketball. Since I was at Tech they (Tulsa) have made several sweet 16's. Tech during that time, 0 appearances in the freaking tournament. Three of their coaches later on in their career won national dhampionships. Plus here is the big carrot for Konkol to move to Tulsa. Multiple tournaments bids for the AAC, he doesn't have to fight for one bid. I have no doubt he has the ability to take Tulsa dancing. Win a game or two in the tournament, then the Big 12 job becomes reality.

Plus remember after the NIT last season Dr. Wood extended Konkol's contract. So in a way Dr. Wood was saying "Konkol kinda is my guy", right? I mean you don't give an extension to a guy you are thinking of firing.

This doesn't even take into consideration Konkol is about to make more money. Konkol was reportedly making $400k here, Tulsa was paying their last guy $1.3 million. Tulsa wants to pay this hire in $650-800k range. Which is a nice raise for Konkol. Lots of folks would move to double their income.

I am excited to see who Dr. Wood brings in to run our basketball program. I think he did very good job with the football hire and I am sure he has a great list of names for possible basketball coaches as well. I hope both our new football and mens basketball coach take Tech to places we have never been before.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

What was his record against non SWAC and Southland teams? That would be my measure of mediocre or above average.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    What was his record against non SWAC and Southland teams? That would be my measure of mediocre or above average.
    Seems to me that the best measure would be against conference teams.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Seems to me that the best measure would be against conference teams.
    79-45 .637 winning percentage. Not bad, but zero conference championships, zero ncaa tournaments bids. Nice winning percentage, but no tournament bids tarnishes the job he did here somewhat. Keep in mind the last five Conference USA men's tournaments had five different winners. It's not like someone owned the tournament. Konkol could never crack the code. Was next year the year? We will never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    79-45 .637 winning percentage. Not bad, but zero conference championships, zero ncaa tournaments bids. Nice winning percentage, but no tournament bids tarnishes the job he did here somewhat. Keep in mind the last five Conference USA men's tournaments had five different winners. It's not like someone owned the tournament. Konkol could never crack the code. Was next year the year? We will never know.
    If he can produce a similar output at Tulsa, he'll make the NCAA tournament. I think he's a good coach.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Not a basketball buy, but the reason I'm not is (other than the last UNT game) he let the players play grab ass ball for the first 5 to 10 minutes, then started coaching. Why is that good coaching?

+ Reply to Thread