+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks Like Konkol Will Be The Next Head Coach at Tulsa…

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Re: Looks Like Konkol Will Be The Next Head Coach at Tulsa…

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Let's go after the Saint Peters coach, if Konkol goes to Tulsa...

I wonder how much he gets paid and I wonder how many big schools will be going after him...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    No thanks - totally different recruiting world up there compared to down here
    He's obviously doing a great job, but he's clearly a NY/NJ guy. I don't think that translates for us (now if I'm a school in that region that needs a coach, yeah, I'm taking a look).

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    Seems like last year there was fortunate breaks for Western Kentucky in terms of forfeitures so they were able to avoid playing North Texas and UAB (or something like that). We won the west but not overall. This year, the loss of Crawford really hurt us (at the 4).
    Crawford was a preseason all conference selection also -

And he lost will Allen also who was expected to see minutes

Crawford is probably worth 3 additional regular season wins - UNT here, UTEP here, FAU there and maybe LSU in Bossier
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Crawford was a preseason all conference selection also -

And he lost will Allen also who was expected to see minutes

Crawford is probably worth 3 additional regular season wins - UNT here, UTEP here, FAU there and maybe LSU in Bossier
    That's exactly what I thought and posted the same on twitter (Crawford liked it!)

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

My big question is are the players loyal to each other, the coach or the school? If we can hire someone quickly, can we keep the core together.

When White left, we only lost 2 players (and one 1 recruit IIRC)

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

If he goes (and it really does suck to lose a coach to another G5 school, even one with more basketball resources) who are legitimate candidates for us to replace him?

Is there an assistant who is ready who could keep the team together? I know we very much specifically didn't go that route last time (which was fine) but that's a case by case thing. Would we feel better about that now?

Varsity Bulldog Dawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to all

EK is a good dude...good Coach--wish him all the best--don't blame him one bit--do what's best for you and your family---we can all debate "what's best", perception, etc...and I have no doubt EW will pick a good one..problem is, with the way transferring, etc is now, we could have a depleted roster for sure...looks like a "start over" again...too bad...I just hope we offer a good starting salary WITH an upward scale as well as incentives(ie, football)...
    I'll say this--DR Wood has been in the "fire" since he came with all the challenges...so far, he's met those challenges I think...time will tell...don't know how the dude sleeps at night..

I don't know how real this guy is, but...

@CoachingChanges

Hearing Eric Konkol to Tulsa. Very solid hire if true.

Louisiana Tech names

Talvin Hester (from LA Tech assistant, now at TX Tech)
    Alvin Brooks III (Baylor Assistant)
    Quannas White (Houston Assistant)
    Greg Heiar (ETSU Asst, previously at LSU/Wichita St)

8:49 PM · Mar 20, 2022·Twitter Web App

What about Duffy? He's this time around's Dusty May

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

Based on the quality and swiftness of the football hire and softball hire I think Dr. Wood already has three names in his pocket of who he wants -

I'm willing to trust that -

There is some word out that Jr to Memphis is a possibility

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

John Rothstein has now reported on twitter that he is the main candidate that they are zeroed in on
    Makes sense for this to happen. Tulsa was paying Haith $1.3 million, they want to pay their next coach about half that to start apparently. They can pay Konkol $650k and they will save $650k. Plus Konkol's pay will increase $250k per year or 62.5%. They could double his pay to $800k a year and still save money. Then take into consideration the extension Wood gave him last year and our buy-out payment should be nice. That's called a win-win-win. Plus Konkol will be in a league where they are multiple ncaa bids available every season.

Wood's job is to now find a coach who can win what will be left of conference usa. Nobody has been able to crack that code yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    Makes sense for this to happen. Tulsa was paying Haith $1.3 million, they want to pay their next coach about half that to start apparently. They can pay Konkol $650k and they will save $650k. Plus Konkol's pay will increase $250k per year or 62.5%. They could double his pay to $800k a year and still save money. Then take into consideration the extension Wood gave him last year and our buy-out payment should be nice. That's called a win-win-win. Plus Konkol will be in a league where they are multiple ncaa bids available every season.

Wood's job is to now find a coach who can win what will be left of conference usa. Nobody has been able to crack that code yet.
    Konkol got a raise in June of 2021 and his base is $500k -

Plus he owes a $425k buy-out -

I think they will save some money, but it will be close to $300k annually than $500k annually when all is said and done

Konkol is in a pretty good fall back position with what he has coming back (assuming Jr doesn't bolt to another school)

Remember White was gone to Tennessee until they started working on numbers

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg74 View Post
    EK is a good dude...good Coach--wish him all the best--don't blame him one bit--do what's best for you and your family---we can all debate "what's best", perception, etc...and I have no doubt EW will pick a good one..problem is, with the way transferring, etc is now, we could have a depleted roster for sure...looks like a "start over" again...too bad...I just hope we offer a good starting salary WITH an upward scale as well as incentives(ie, football)...
    I'll say this--DR Wood has been in the "fire" since he came with all the challenges...so far, he's met those challenges I think...time will tell...don't know how the dude sleeps at night..
    How much can we pay a basketball coach? Tulsa was paying their basketball coach $450,000 more than we are going to pay Sonny to coach football. What are anyone's guesses moving forwar.d

Konkol got a raise in June of 2021 and his base is $500k -

Plus he owes a $425k buy-out -

I think they will save some money, but it will be close to $300k annually than $500k annually when all is said and done

Konkol is in a pretty good fall back position with what he has coming back (assuming Jr doesn't bolt to another school)

Remember White was gone to Tennessee until they started working on numbers
    My bad on Konkol's pay. I thought it was only more years, not more money that he got last year. I figured he gets something around $800k to move to Tulsa, maybe he would stay at that rate, figuring a better school omes calling sometime down the road. Either way going to be a few intersting hours and/or days.

WE are not Tulsa - we are closer to McNeese than we are Tulsa

We were paying White close to $750k when he left for UF

Depending on the candidate $300 - $400k to $500k max

As with any new staff hires - assistant pool is critical - the higher the HC base usually the lower the assistant pool

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post

It's going to be interesting. We're losing the best couple of teams (or schools that typically find themselves at the top lately, including this last year) but then losing the bottom schools, too. So on average the conference will improve, but (seemingly) more through the middle than at the very top (with NMSU as a possible exception to that).

On one hand, there will be fewer easy wins out there (and the travel might make the easier wins a little harder to get). On the other, there is a better chance that the conference computer rankings end up higher on average (helping with seeding/second bids).

+ Reply to Thread