+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: SGA Fee Proposals

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Re: SGA Fee Proposals

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I have said this before but…..

1. When I was in school from 2002-2005, I don’t remember attending games with many if any of my classmates from the school of business.

2. As an adjunct professor, I recently asked a class of 40 juniors and seniors how many of them attended the games and I could count them on 1 hand. One of them was a football player.

As far as I can tell, we have never done a good job of promoting the athletics side of the non-athletes college experience.
    Higher Education is at a dangerous crossroads...

You have liberalized the academia to the point where they are coddling students and indoctrinating them with progressive ideology.

You have WAY WAY WAY too many colleges built for a shrinking population, and discouraged trade schools at the same time.

You have college sports becoming minor leagues instead of student athletes.

There are real solutions but nobody wants to hear them. Especially when it comes to CLOSING/MERGING Universities.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post

You have liberalized the academia to the point where they are coddling students and indoctrinating them with progressive ideology.

You have WAY WAY WAY too many colleges built for a shrinking population, and discouraged trade schools at the same time.

There are real solutions but nobody wants to hear them. Especially when it comes to CLOSING/MERGING Universities.
    This is absolutely true. Louisiana is a great example. Probably 6-8 schools could close. Why not make scholarships a four year commitment from both school and students ? If you think you’re good enough to go pro, don’t go to school. If you find out he can make more money in a field without a college degree, they drop out and go. I Am not saying those are the best solutions, or even viable ones. But at least it’s something to talk about.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

This is absolutely true. Louisiana is a great example. Probably 6-8 schools could close.
    ...just not "ours".

And therein lies the problem.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3 View Post
    ...just not "ours".

And therein lies the problem.
    I guess we need to know which schools are the biggest drain on funds. Then close them. Start with Grambling.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

I guess we need to know which schools are the biggest drain on funds. Then close them. Start with Grambling.
    Grambling will be the last trombone player on the Titanic rather than stop draining funds.

Champ FriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond repute FriscoDog's Avatar

Did a little digging and here is what I found via google:

4 year universities:

16 Public
    9 Private

Two year universities: 13

Of all of the universities listed in my findings, only 4 had graduation rates of greater than 50%.. Tech, Tulane, LSU, Loyola N.O.

LA Population as of 2020: 4.65 Million
    DFW Metroplex : 6.4 Million

It's very obvious that there are way to many colleges and universities for the population we have.

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by NTXDawg View Post
    There is something I think left out of the conversation. I’ve been in education over 20 years. I can’t tell you the percentages, but kids are different these days than 30-40 years ago. A larger percentage of kids these days don’t care one bit about sports than in the past. They would rather watch e-sports or their favorite streamer than attend an athletic event. I played all kinds of sports growing up. Love watching sports and both of my kids(18-21 yrs) couldn’t care less about sports despite my best efforts.
    Kids are different because parenting styles are different. I grew up with the choices of play sports or go home and do chores or work a part time job. Kids today can play sports or go home and play video games, watch TV.

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

The problem starts at home, not colleges. Parents coddle their kids long before academia poisons them.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2180 View Post
    The problem starts at home, not colleges. Parents coddle their kids long before academia poisons them.
    There’s yer sign

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDog View Post
    Did a little digging and here is what I found via google:

4 year universities:

16 Public
    9 Private

Two year universities: 13

Of all of the universities listed in my findings, only 4 had graduation rates of greater than 50%.. Tech, Tulane, LSU, Loyola N.O.

LA Population as of 2020: 4.65 Million
    DFW Metroplex : 6.4 Million

It's very obvious that there are way to many colleges and universities for the population we have.
    Not just the size of the population as a whole, but the size of that population that is college ready/needed. We have tried to shove every single kid into the university system and some aren't college ready or needed. Shut some of those campuses down as a university and retool them to be a multi-discipline trade school. Lets say you keep the school that graduate at least 50% of their student body and then locate 4 trade schools around the state. That reduces the total number from 38 campuses to 8. Those 8 could be fully funded based off the existing funding levels without raising any new taxes. After a bit of a growing curve those 8 could be top flight at what they do not just nation wide but period.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    Not just the size of the population as a whole, but the size of that population that is college ready/needed. We have tried to shove every single kid into the university system and some aren't college ready or needed. Shut some of those campuses down as a university and retool them to be a multi-discipline trade school. Lets say you keep the school that graduate at least 50% of their student body and then locate 4 trade schools around the state. That reduces the total number from 38 campuses to 8. Those 8 could be fully funded based off the existing funding levels without raising any new taxes. After a bit of a growing curve those 8 could be top flight at what they do not just nation wide but period.
    You do realize that would force all the English factories to close due to lack of workforce???

(No disrespect to my English major friends here )

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    You do realize that would force all the English factories to close due to lack of workforce???

(No disrespect to my English major friends here )
    Someone has to take the hit!

+ Reply to Thread