+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another TX Addition to Hester's Staff - Aaron Smith, Panola College

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Basketball Another TX Addition to Hester's Staff - Aaron Smith, Panola College

https://www.panolaathletics.com/sports/mbkb/coaches/Aaron_Smith_Bio?view=bio

T
    his staff appears to be very juco heavy and very TX heavy
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Another TX Addition to Hester's Staff - Aaron Smith, Panola College

The juco-heavy may be ok short-term, but not so much long-term.

Being Texas-heavy doesn't bother me as much considering the number of players available there compared to Louisiana.

Champ Dawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant future Dawg Fan's Avatar

I am going to be cautiously optimistic Hester is putting together a great coaching staff and Tech is going to have great teams for the foreseeable future. I don’t know enough about the play of JUCO, NCAA Division II and III, and NAIA teams to know if coaching philosophies from those teams transfer well to Division I.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    The juco-heavy may be ok short-term, but not so much long-term.

Being Texas-heavy doesn't bother me as much considering the number of players available there compared to Louisiana.
    I agree - Texas connections - especially to the metro-plex and Houston area are great to have

However - the staff outside of Hester appears to have very little D1 experience and what experience they have is at the SWAC level

Color me unimpressed so far

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    I agree - Texas connections - especially to the metro-plex and Houston area are great to have

However - the staff outside of Hester appears to have very little D1 experience and what experience they have is at the SWAC level

Color me unimpressed so far
    What was Konkol's first staff like from an experience standpoint?

Barker (who currently has a "show-cause" ban, right?) had been at some MAC/SB level schools I think.

Conroy had been at a Horizon league school for a pretty long time.

Skinn was new to college level.

Is that it? And some Ops guys or something, right?

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    What was Konkol's first staff like from an experience standpoint?

Barker (who currently has a "show-cause" ban, right?) had been at some MAC/SB level schools I think.

Conroy had been at a Horizon league school for a pretty long time.

Skinn was new to college level.

Is that it? And some Ops guys or something, right?
    Much more experience at the D1 level -

Best I can remember here is his first staff - remember that McMahon was immediately hired away a couple of days after Tech hired him to go back to Murray St when Prohm was hired by Purdue?

Matt McMahon - Murray State/App State
    Duffy Conroy - Univ Milwaukee/Univ Wisconsin
    Corey Barker - Bowling Green/Ark State
    Andy Fox - Tulane/Citadel
    Tony Skinn - AAU Nike Team/Nigerian Natl Team/George Mason (really young dude)

I think that was his original staff, I may have left one out

But as you can see it was littered with D1 experience - Horizan, SoCon, CUSA, A10, Big10, SunBelt

Everyone except Skinn this was their 3rd or more stop at a D1 school

Not saying he won't be successful, but listening to basketball folks I trust in the business, it's a different makeup and path that he is using

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Much more experience at the D1 level -

Best I can remember here is his first staff - remember that McMahon was immediately hired away a couple of days after Tech hired him to go back to Murray St when Prohm was hired by Purdue?

Matt McMahon - Murray State/App State
    Duffy Conroy - Univ Milwaukee/Univ Wisconsin
    Corey Barker - Bowling Green/Ark State
    Andy Fox - Tulane/Citadel
    Tony Skinn - AAU Nike Team/Nigerian Natl Team/George Mason (really young dude)

I think that was his original staff, I may have left one out

But as you can see it was littered with D1 experience - Horizan, SoCon, CUSA, A10, Big10, SunBelt

Everyone except Skinn this was their 3rd or more stop at a D1 school

Not saying he won't be successful, but listening to basketball folks I trust in the business, it's a different makeup and path that he is using
    Yeah, I doubt there is one way to do it. But I didn't remember what the last time looked like (I hadn't been following the Barker situation even though I guess his issues were here locally to me and he was most recently on staff for one of our new conference mates).

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

Maybe this path will work. I’m willing to wait and see

Big Dog ACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to all

I am also willing to give the new staff a chance to see what they can do. The transfer portal has forever changed recruiting, with relationship building becoming more important than ever. While there is not a great deal of D1 experience beyond Hester, there is still a wealth of basketball knowledge with this proposed staff.

I would like to know if any more of the current players (Williams, Allen, Hunter) will be leaving to join Konkol in Tulsa.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

my concern would not necessarily b coaching ability or recruiting.

doesn’t sound like anyone ever had to deal with additional rules other than Hester himself

+ Reply to Thread