Do you think we are headed for a split in college football? I think we are. Anytime major changes take place in college football, I believe that is a clue that they are up to something, and there have been a ton of changes lately.

I think the next step is for the top 24–40 college football teams to break away from the NCAA and form something like a semi pro league. Based on comments from Notre Dame‘s outgoing AD and recent comments from Ohio State’s AD, it’s pretty obvious they have been discussing it. Both made comments about having athletic teams that are not connected to educational institutions.

We have all known for years that players were being paid under the table at big schools. But, NIL has exposed the large financial divide between the haves and have nots, and the crazy money currently being thrown around is only greasing the skids for the next step. We will see if Congress steps in, but I’m not really sure what they could do to stop this snowball heading downhill.

I guess that would leave the rest of us playing actual college football. I’m not sure what I would do to conference realignment… Hell, the way they are getting rid of conference divisions I’m not sure what the immediate future conferences is.

It just feels like the big money schools are about to break away and do their own thing. What do you guys think?