+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: College Football Split?

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: College Football Split?

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Will it be perceived as sour grapes though and backfire?
    Yeah, that's a good point. I'm just sick of the NIL and the COA and the CRIBZ facilities and the transfer portal and the absurd coaching contracts. The only ones who are committed to our school are small portion of alumni and a smattering of fans. It's annoying.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I completely agree that the best part of college sports was amateurism and that is long gone. Even if players don’t get paid, all the posh benefits, education, and undisclosed perks might as well be a salary.

Big Dog Rama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant future Rama Jama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Never going to happen -

Look where are the law-schools are located and then look who controls the state legislators...

If it ever happens - I'm done with college athletics entirely -
    Me too. College sports remains the least tainted by politics and (lesser than pros) money.

I think all D1 TV revenue should be pooled and paid equally to every D-1 school that fields a football team. Like the NFL. Oh sure, the ND, Alabama, Texas, OUs of the world will howl, but they can now earn more directly via tickets, gear, merchandise, etc. Plus these big schools usually have much larger booster war chests to recruit with. If there is not a TV rev share, parity will truly suffer .

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    Me too. College sports remains the least tainted by politics and (lesser than pros) money.

I think all D1 TV revenue should be pooled and paid equally to every D-1 school that fields a football team. Like the NFL. Oh sure, the ND, Alabama, Texas, OUs of the world will howl, but they can now earn more directly via tickets, gear, merchandise, etc. Plus these big schools usually have much larger booster war chests to recruit with. If there is not a TV rev share, parity will truly suffer .
    Go ahead and lump NCAA D2 and NCAA D3 schools in there. If G5s are delegated to a lower class what's the difference in them and the D2s and D3s?
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

USC and UCLA joining the Big Ten makes me think that a split is coming sooner rather than later. Not only are they now using a pro model (transfer portal + NIL = paid free agency), but now there is a conference that has a nationwide footprint. They aren’t even trying to pretend that it’s about “student athletes“ anymore. It’s all about the Benjamins.

Not only will schools like Louisiana Tech be left out of this, but quite a few members of the so-called Power Five will be left out also. The power five became the Power Two this week. I don’t know exactly how this is going to play out, but here are my predictions:

1) The SEC and Big Ten will expand further. They will make their own rules regarding NIL and transfers. They will get sued for it, but they have a better chance of fighting it than the NCAA.

2) They will separate themselves from the pack by using the college football playoff. Remember, the CFP is like March Madness… It is not run by the NCAA, so they don’t have to pretend to be fair to anyone else.

3) This one is obvious, but they will tell the NCAA to take a hike. Not sure what governing body they will come up with to replace them, but the NCAA is history as a governing body for these guys.

There’s no doubt in my mind that a lot of people are burning up the phone lines right now trying to broker their own deals. As I said in my original post, this will leave the rest of us to play actual college football. Personally, I like the thought of that.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post

There’s no doubt in my mind that a lot of people are burning up the phone lines right now trying to broker their own deals. As I said in my original post, this will leave the rest of us to play actual college football. Personally, I like the thought of that.
    I've already lost my interest in college football. Not sure I'll ever be as passionate as I was before our last AD, HC, and current President destroyed our game day atmosphere.

That said, this new "alliance of the powers" will find a way to screw up MBB and baseball.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    I've already lost my interest in college football. Not sure I'll ever be as passionate as I was before our last AD, HC, and current President destroyed our game day atmosphere.

That said, this new "alliance of the powers" will find a way to screw up MBB and baseball.
    I completely agree. Tommy McClellan was a bozo who took credit for a lot of things he didn’t do, and it’s nauseating to hear Dr. Guice talk about how great McClellan was. Luckily for us he is gone and we have an AD who doesn’t have head-up-ass disease.

I just think that Louisiana Tech has a chance to wind up in a pretty good spot from all of this. If you assume that the SEC and the B1G end up with 20 teams each, then Tech could end up in some version of the old southwestern conference. That’s just me thinking out loud, and maybe I’m being optimistic, but the schools in that conference could then focus on the traditions of college football and their programs rather than the arms race that the Power Two would be focused on. Sure, a lot of teams (read: former Power 5 teams who were left behind) would be envious of the big guys, but that would be a waste of time. Heck, best case, maybe they have some kind of relegation to give "everyone" a chance, and keep the Power 2 teams honest.

Everyone in college football has to be honest with themselves...The decision by the Supreme Court last year in the NIL case pretty much college athletics as we have always known it. But, for once, I think we’ll be better off if the big boys separate from us and move on. The players in that league will probably unionize it might not even be affiliated with colleges. Let the Power Two deal with CBAs and all that garbage. I want to have something it looks like college football.

Again, maybe I’m just being optimistic.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

The NCAA's involvement in the new structure is concerning.

The leftovers from the current P5s is the big question. How far do they want to be away from Baylor, Texas Tech, Kansas State, Florida State, NC State, etc. while providing a cushion for Purdue, Indiana, Vandy, and Kentucky?

If history repeats and is consistent, we lose on the market size issue because ESPN and the rest of "TV Media" take that road again rather than actual branding potential.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

I will not tune into power conference games in the future. I want real football from schools that aren't semi-professional with enthusiastic fans that root for their school out of pride and not for money.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    The NCAA's involvement in the new structure is concerning.

The leftovers from the current P5s is the big question. How far do they want to be away from Baylor, Texas Tech, Kansas State, Florida State, NC State, etc. while providing a cushion for Purdue, Indiana, Vandy, and Kentucky?

If history repeats and is consistent, we lose on the market size issue because ESPN and the rest of "TV Media" take that road again rather than actual branding potential.
    I actually think this is why they (ESPN/Fox) will go for a promotion/relegation model.

It frees them from televising (and more importantly PAYING) for the Purdue/Vandys of the world.

Varsity Bulldog CajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time CajunDave1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    I actually think this is why they (ESPN/Fox) will go for a promotion/relegation model.

It frees them from televising (and more importantly PAYING) for the Purdue/Vandys of the world.
    I'd love to see it, but that will never happen. There is not a chance in hell that any of the P5 or "NEW" BIG and/or SEC schools would ever vote to let any of that TV money leave those conferences. The facts of the matter are, none of this is about competition, it's strictly about money!

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

The people that really matter are now talking about football leaving the NCAA and expanding the play-off.

The 11 college presidents and chancellors who make up the College Football Playoff's Board of Managers met via Zoom on Monday and began a discussion that could reshape the future of college sports, sources told ESPN.

Multiple sources told ESPN that the Board of Managers briefly discussed the possibility of restructuring how college football is governed, with the idea presented of major college football potentially being governed outside of the NCAA.

The conversation is significant, however, in that it's the first known discussion among a group that would seemingly have the power to put such a plan in action.
    One other item discussed on the call was the notion that the next iteration of the College Football Playoff -- whatever that would look like -- could be put into place before the end of the current CFP contract.'

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ed-sources-say

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    The people that really matter are now talking about football leaving the NCAA and expanding the play-off.

The 11 college presidents and chancellors who make up the College Football Playoff's Board of Managers met via Zoom on Monday and began a discussion that could reshape the future of college sports, sources told ESPN.

Multiple sources told ESPN that the Board of Managers briefly discussed the possibility of restructuring how college football is governed, with the idea presented of major college football potentially being governed outside of the NCAA.

The conversation is significant, however, in that it's the first known discussion among a group that would seemingly have the power to put such a plan in action.
    One other item discussed on the call was the notion that the next iteration of the College Football Playoff -- whatever that would look like -- could be put into place before the end of the current CFP contract.'

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ed-sources-say

TV will suck up to the schools then conferences rather than the woke NCAA.

+ Reply to Thread