+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Game Day vs. Air Force

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Game Day vs. Air Force

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    I only have a small sample size of watching Tech baseball games, but this is what I was thinking as well. Some very not good swinging mechanics going on, either.

Fielding could use some work, too. Or at least, some effort put in to put in some effort.

And why is everyone so winded by the second inning?
    At least you qualified your statement before you confirmed you didn’t know we you were talking about…

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    I thought McLeod looked like a candidate to be our leadoff guy next year. He's got a good eye and places the ball well. Elliot also became a pretty tough out down the stretch. AD is a guy who improves with more at bats and Corona is suited to hit cleanup. McConnell is a baller (if he doesn't go pro). We definitely need a couple of impact players but I don't think the cupboard is bare. Interested to see Ince at shortstop. We need to pick up a couple of pitchers but I do like Fitcher, Martinez, and Harland.

Taylor Young is one of the best baseball players I've ever watched at Tech. He will be sorely missed.
    I agree, I also still like Matulia at 1st. Need to commit to a DH. Overall, our fielding didn’t seem too bad, but when we committed errors, they seem to happen in clusters. Same game or same inning even.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I agree, I also still like Matulia at 1st. Need to commit to a DH. Overall, our fielding didn’t seem too bad, but when we committed errors, they seem to happen in clusters. Same game or same inning even.
    Agreed. Matulia is a good first baseman and he'll get even better. I think he's better suited to bat 5th or 6th. Nice swing but too many K's to be in the top 4. Our defensive infield was solid but TY made so many difficult plays seem routine.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bone_afide_Dawg View Post
    Excellently said! This makes me think of something I’ve often said about Burroughs… He coaches more like he’s trying to play out some fantastical script for a Hollywood movie ending than what is real life. Trends are trends for a reason, they’re reoccurrences from things that have taken place. As much as I appreciate Crigger’s effort and Whorff and Tomkins, their repeatedly proven trends were that they didn’t have it to hold the opposition to not scoring. Burroughs needed plan X and he didn’t have one... he didn’t even try to develop one. Just hoping for miraculous Bulldog comebacks and walkoffs isn’t reliable enough.
    And it can be argued that the regional was a lost cause after the first day in Hattiesburg when Gibson was allowed to continue after the 5+ hour rain delay. Doing that plus pitching two more innings in the championship game on short rest and having shoulder tightness a few days later can't be a coincidence. At least it isn't for me.
    Last edited by FriscoDawg; 06-07-2022 at 01:03 AM.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

TY is a generational talent -

Is he the best to ever play here? Maybe, but he is definitely on the very short list...

I think Corona and McConnell are the key to next year's class - those to return and out middle of the order will be solid

Drop Matulia to 6th

McLeod 2nd

Believe it or not bat Elliot 1st - I think he is primed for a tremendous year

AD 5th

Ince 7th

8th and 9th TBD

I think Jennings will be hard to replace - but I think Martinez could be Saturday guy next year and Harland Sunday

Knight and Thompkins have to get it in gear

This team should be salty once again
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    And it can be argued that the regional was a lost cause after the first day in Hattiesburg when Gibson was allowed to continue after the 5+ hour rain delay. Doing that plus pitching two more innings in the championship game on short rest and having shoulder tightness a few days later can't be a coincidence. At least it isn't for me.
    As unfortunate as it is, what you say is pretty much a certainty. Maybe another case of the player saying, “I got this.” And Burroughs buying it regardless of it being a potentially unwise long term decision.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree DFM, Wade was putting together some really good plate appearances in about the last 6-8 games. Saw a lot of pitches and squared up several. Should Cole bat 3rd and Jorge bat cleanup? No matter what, LB has to be better about how he manages pitchers. We should have another fun year for sure.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I like McConnell still in the 4 hole even though Corona is the more traditional 4
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

I second McConnell at 4. I like his ability to hit the ball all over the field and he has power too even though his home run numbers this year weren’t as many as what we really need. He’s going to get there if he stays here long enough.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

McConnell is not a classic clean-up hitter, #4 hole. Corona is more of a #4, and with more upper-body strength such that he bops 20+ HRs, he would be a very good #4.

This year the only guys in their absolutely most appropriate spots in the lineup were Corona #5, McCloud #8, Elliot #9...kind of okay was Myers at #6. Other than those it was a hob-poch of out of place hitters. BUT! given our personnel choices, have to admit there was little LB could have done. We simply did not have the luxury of having a bunch of classic, proto-typical hitters to plug in. As discussed, Young as our best hitter (overall) should have been batting #3. But, who would you place in the #1 and #2 holes? Myers has speed but his BA/OBP was far too low. That was the problem, TY leading off made some sense because we simply didn't have any true #1s or #2s we could insert instead.

The biggest issue was the pathetic lack of coaching for our hitters. Anyone who has coached little league could do a better job of "coaching the guys up." Of course, there is also that measure of players taking responsibility for themselves too. I find it hard to believe that Division I baseball players have not been exposed to proper hitting techniques at some time in their career, and would know to employ them in situations. The most glaring weakness displayed was protecting the plate with two strikes. Nope! not our guys, just cut loose in their long, slow, sweeping golf swing and then pose for the photo after striking out...again.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

I like the idea of another banger to take Netterville's place. Maybe Burchfield is that guy, not sure though.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I like the idea of another banger to take Netterville's place. Maybe Burchfield is that guy, not sure though.
    He runs like a snail. Can't believe LB picked him up as a DH only. Nowhere in the field he can play. Sounds like a great guy, but not even a good baseball player. We have a few of those.

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    He runs like a snail. Can't believe LB picked him up as a DH only. Nowhere in the field he can play. Sounds like a great guy, but not even a good baseball player. We have a few of those.
    I noticed he's not fast, neither is Corona. I'm not sure of the significance in terms of likeliness to score once on base. The on base percentage is more important than likeliness to score based on speed, I do know that. But speed has to factor in. Some data geek would need to break it down for me.

I noticed he's not fast, neither is Corona. I'm not sure of the significance in terms of likeliness to score once on base. The on base percentage is more important than likeliness to score based on speed, I do know that. But speed has to factor in. Some data geek would need to break it down for me.
    Corona is a catcher and not recruited for his 90ft time. Corona is actually fast. Not sure why people think he is not. I suppose his first 90 feet time may slower than some. As Frisco said regarding Corona's inside the park grand slam, his stride is very long.

I'm not sure we have ever had a regular player on our team as slow as Burchfield.

With those coming back, it's likely that Burch will take the right field spot.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Corona runs well, and not just "for a catcher." He won't ever be the FASTEST on the team but neither will other everyday players. And speed on the bases is not what you're looking for in a #4 or #5 hitter. It's power.

+ Reply to Thread