+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diamond Dogs Season Comes to an End in Austin

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

Re: Diamond Dogs Season Comes to an End in Austin

I’m going through Bulldog baseball withdrawals. It sucks that this team didn’t pull it together to the best of their ability at the most important time. That one inning at Texas when they put some hits together and us not getting a couple of clutch hits hurts. And now I already want to know what Burroughs is going to do about putting a new team together... who comes back and who comes in.

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

Consistently making regionals is the first step. We need to continue the trend!

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

Comparing LB to Skip is completely off-base. Skip won some bowls but never won a conference title. His bowl wins were against teams on our level—even a struggling Miami team. He really never knocked off a big opponent.. simply showed up and gave them a game AKA “competed”… also I do not sense a lack of institutional control among our baseball team. I do not see a great collapse in performance, discipline, or fan involvement in our baseball program. I also don’t see a ton of professional players on an underachieving team. We overachieved this season after losing so much offense. If you told me we would win a regional game say halfway through this year I may have laughed. We really battled back and showed a resiliency that no Holtz team had. And we won a conference title with clutch performances.

I will take LB and his “flaws” because the main one is he stays with a pitcher a batter or an inning too long.

That is a way to build his confidence throughout the year. You’re our guy, we all have a bad inning, I trust you to battle back. He gives them the chance. Honestly, that would maybe work at a program with overall higher talent pitchers. He does it with older guys who aren’t going to necessarily improve in their 5th-6th year… but he won’t hand the ball to a sophomore with the bases loaded. Maybe that is a part of him building for the future. The young guns and guys that don’t play much know they can pitch without having anxiety over being yanked after two hits given up.

Baseball always has “the game within the game” and LB has us as good as we have ever been and I really believe he understand the game and his guys better than we do. As long as we are winning and playing for a national championship, we should probably shut up and let the man do his job.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dixonfor6 View Post
    Comparing LB to Skip is completely off-base. Skip won some bowls but never won a conference title. His bowl wins were against teams on our level—even a struggling Miami team. He really never knocked off a big opponent.. simply showed up and gave them a game AKA “competed”… also I do not sense a lack of institutional control among our baseball team. I do not see a great collapse in performance, discipline, or fan involvement in our baseball program. I also don’t see a ton of professional players on an underachieving team. We overachieved this season after losing so much offense. If you told me we would win a regional game say halfway through this year I may have laughed. We really battled back and showed a resiliency that no Holtz team had. And we won a conference title with clutch performances.

I will take LB and his “flaws” because the main one is he stays with a pitcher a batter or an inning too long.

That is a way to build his confidence throughout the year. You’re our guy, we all have a bad inning, I trust you to battle back. He gives them the chance. Honestly, that would maybe work at a program with overall higher talent pitchers. He does it with older guys who aren’t going to necessarily improve in their 5th-6th year… but he won’t hand the ball to a sophomore with the bases loaded. Maybe that is a part of him building for the future. The young guns and guys that don’t play much know they can pitch without having anxiety over being yanked after two hits given up.

Baseball always has “the game within the game” and LB has us as good as we have ever been and I really believe he understand the game and his guys better than we do. As long as we are winning and playing for a national championship, we should probably shut up and let the man do his job.
    Burroughs does not utilize enough of his staff. He settles into a dependency on a handful of pitchers. That doesn’t work for tournament baseball. Everyone has to be ready to go and have a little experience during the year. I see team after team running out freshman pitchers or pitchers with very few innings, in critical situations. If he doesn’t have quality depth, that’s on him.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dixonfor6 View Post

The biggest issues with Burroughs are how he manages pitching and his obsession with situational batter vs pitcher matchups.

Compare Crigger to USM's closer Landon Harper. Crigger pitched 69 innings in his 37 appearances, close to a 2 inning average per appearance. That is not only too many appearances by at least 4 or 5, it is too many batters and pitches per appearance. Closers should average closer to an inning per appearance than 2 innings. Harper has appeared in 30 games but has only pitched 42.2 innings.

Besides USM's three weekend starters, 11 other pitchers on that staff have worked at least 9 innings this year. Besides the four pitchers who made weekend starts for Tech, just 7 other pitchers worked at least 9 innings. That lack of depth was exposed at the end of the year, especially when Gibson couldn't go in Austin. With Gibson out that left 8 arms to use since Lancaster and Giannette didn't pitch after early May. Need at least 10 if not more like 12 arms available for postseason tournaments.

The merry-go-round batting lineup certainly didn't help Brantley and Wallace gain any confidence to get out of their struggles, so they were non factors the last half of the season. And only in the postseason did Burchfield and Lancaster start clicking a bit in the DH spot.

The last two Tech teams are the best Tech has had since the Gravy era. But even with the success Tech has had the last two years, I am left with the feeling that Tech could have done more. A team has to advance out of the regionals to be "playing for a national championship."
    Last edited by FriscoDawg; 06-08-2022 at 01:10 PM.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Comparing LB to Holtz is "completely off base" says Dixon. Hmmm....completely? Difference of opinion, but I see more in common between the two than differences. Perhaps Dixon you can explain how LB and Holtz are so different.

+ Reply to Thread