+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $$ Paid for Leaving C-USA

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Re: $$ Paid for Leaving C-USA

So . . . C-USA gets how much of UAB's March Madness share? All of it?
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    So . . . C-USA gets how much of UAB's March Madness share? All of it?
    Yes.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by THEarmada View Post
    Forgive me if I’m missing something:

So leaving early they give up 2022 CUSA revenue and 1.75 million.

Staying through 2023 they would have given up CUSA revenue for two years.

How much monetary difference is there in these two scenarios?
    Very little.

For example, Tech's revenues in those areas for 20-21 were $1.87 million in a 14-school CUSA. The projection for next year was likely similar and would have been what USM would have received in CUSA had the league remained stable and stayed at 14 schools.

On the other hand, the Cajuns, for example, received $2.43 million in a 12-school Sun Belt where NCAA money was shared. The 10 football-playing members also shared in CFP money. With the Belt going to 14 football playing members, if each school shared in those distributions equally next year, the distribution per school would be approximately $1.86 million. I am assuming the 4 new members will receive slightly less.

This is likely where the $1.75 million number comes from.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Very little.

For example, Tech's revenues in those areas for 20-21 were $1.87 million in a 14-school CUSA. The projection for next year was likely similar and would have been what USM would have received in CUSA had the league remained stable and stayed at 14 schools.

On the other hand, the Cajuns, for example, received $2.43 million in a 12-school Sun Belt where NCAA money was shared. The 10 football-playing members also shared in CFP money. With the Belt going to 14 football playing members, if each school shared in those distributions equally next year, the distribution per school would be approximately $1.86 million. I am assuming the 4 new members will receive slightly less.

This is likely where the $1.75 million number comes from.
    What isn't being factored in is that most NCAA revenue distributions to conferences are based on the number of members in the conference. So 2022-2023 revenues from those NCAA funds will be for just 11 members, not 14 as they should have been. And given that most of those fund amounts increase from year to year, the amount that should have been paid by each school should have increased from what it will have withheld from this year's distributions. And each school should have paid an amount that approximates what C-USA would have received from the NCAA in 2022-23 for that school's membership under the existing by-laws.

One big example is sports sponsorship. Grants-in-aid funds (2/3 of the sports sponsorship component) are distributed based on scholarships offered by each school in this manner (from the 2022 NCAA revenue distribution plan):
    First 50 grants-in-aid are worth $250 each.
    Next 50 grants-in-aid are worth $500 each.
    Next 50 grants-in-aid are worth $2,500 each.
    Grants-in-aid above 150 are worth $5,000 each.

Schools offering 150 scholarships would have $162,500 going to its conference. Schools offering 250 scholarships would have $662,500 going to its conference.

Every school leaving C-USA isn't equal in grants-in-aid that it can offer, so a one-size-fits-all settlement payment was not an equitable solution. ODU sponsors sports with NCAA scholarship limits of 247.4 total excluding men's and women's sailing. Marshall offers sports with a 224.0 maximum. USM offers sports that allow a max of 222.3 scholarships. For comparison, Tech offers sports that have an NCAA maximum 210.8 scholarships.
    Last edited by FriscoDawg; 06-30-2022 at 12:58 PM.

Bulldog jycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the ears

I seem to remember that when all this started, someone (can't remember who) stated that a newspaper was going to file a Freedom of Information inquiry to get to the bottom of all of it. I guess that didn't happen?

Varsity Bulldog Exes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by jycww View Post
    I seem to remember that when all this started, someone (can't remember who) stated that a newspaper was going to file a Freedom of Information inquiry to get to the bottom of all of it. I guess that didn't happen?
    The FIA was filed but CUSA has gone to court to have the info kept secret. Still in litigation.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Exes&Ohs View Post
    The FIA was filed but CUSA has gone to court to have the info kept secret. Still in litigation.
    And that action by CUSA tells you all you need to know.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Exes&Ohs View Post
    As someone who works in the public sector, this is infuriating.

I routinely receive FOI requests -- at least once a month. And when I get one, that stops everything else I'm doing. Nothing else happens until the FOI is complete. There are very few exceptions to the law, and they are all specific and limited in scope. And after 20+ years in govt, there have been exactly 2 times I've had to withhold information from an FOI request: once I redacted some employees' SSNs from a document, and another time I redacted the location of a sensitive archeological site.

But how is CUSA even a party to a FOI suit? As an intervenor? It's not a public agency. More likely, somebody sent a request to one of the public schools and was denied. Which raises the question ... why not just send your request to a different institution (or have a friend in that state request it)?

Something doesn't add up here ...

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post

I routinely receive FOI requests -- at least once a month. And when I get one, that stops everything else I'm doing. Nothing else happens until the FOI is complete. There are very few exceptions to the law, and they are all specific and limited in scope. And after 20+ years in govt, there have been exactly 2 times I've had to withhold information from an FOI request: once I redacted some employees' SSNs from a document, and another time I redacted the location of a sensitive archeological site.

But how is CUSA even a party to a FOI suit? As an intervenor? It's not a public agency. More likely, somebody sent a request to one of the public schools and was denied. Which raises the question ... why not just send your request to a different institution (or have a friend in that state request it)?

It'd be hard to get info from Rice. Who else?
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Double check me, but ... I think Rice & Liberty may the only exceptions.

Everyone else who is a current, departing, or incoming member is a public school. Right?

Varsity Bulldog Exes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post

https://www.hubcityspokes.com/local-...ent-disclosure

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

This sounds like a loaded gun...

If the confidential information contained in the Confidential Settlement Agreement were to be disclosed, it could negatively impact C-USA’s ability to retain its current members through the next academic terms and to recruit and obtain new ones.

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

If these requests depend on state rules, I hope every CUSA reporter makes a request in each individual state to make this info public.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    This sounds like a loaded gun...

If the confidential information contained in the Confidential Settlement Agreement were to be disclosed, it could negatively impact C-USA’s ability to retain its current members through the next academic terms and to recruit and obtain new ones.
    No doubt. Not too mention every school left in CUSA tried everything possible to leave for greener pastures anyway. They (we) only stayed because it was the only option. I cannot wait to get into the SEC so we don't have to worry about stuff like this any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    No. What I'm saying is, if they are giving up $1.75 million next year, they are giving up everything for leaving early.

They gave up their distribution in CUSA for this year and will be providing their cash distribution in the Sun Belt next year back to CUSA.
    And now we have our answer.

The Golden Eagles gave up this year's Belt distribution to get out of CUSA one year early. $1.75 million. McMurphy's information from several months ago was correct.

I suspect part of the deal was that both sides would try to keep it private.

USM wanted to keep the baseball tournament in Hattiesburg at Pete Taylor Park (aka The Love Shack East) and were willing to pay for it.

+ Reply to Thread