+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In Tech Past - Tech vs. Boise State - 1998

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Re: In Tech Past - Tech vs. Boise State - 1998

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    About 10 years ago, Tech reached out to many people they thought would have material in an effort to build the archives. I loaned them everything I had to copy. I know they have the archives of Dr. Bundrick and others, as well.
    Let me say it again.

If KARL TERREBONNE was not walking by the dumpster with significant trophies, plaques and photo files in plain view. Those would not have been saved or preserved.

Karl colorized many of the B/W photos and displays them on his Facebook page. Befriend him if you're a history buff.

That is when the reach out begain "about 10 years ago" as you say.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

I remember the 2001 game against Boise as being one of the most fun games I ever attended at the Joe. DJ Curry must have had a zillion yards receiving that day.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Let me say it again.

If KARL TERREBONNE was not walking by the dumpster with significant trophies, plaques and photo files in plain view. Those would not have been saved or preserved.

Karl colorized many of the B/W photos and displays them on his Facebook page. Befriend him if you're a history buff.

That is when the reach out begain "about 10 years ago" as you say.
    Tech reaching out was after Karl made public what he had to do to save those pics and all that film. The trashing of all that history was the work of a handful of people.

Attempting to build an archive was the work of others within the AD and the football office who wanted to make sure nothing like that ever happened again.

When I was satisfied that was the case I loaned them what I had.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by jharris View Post
    Cool that those Idaho broadcasters traveled all that way to cover their home team's game. Funny hearing them talk about the humidity and the distance to New Orleans. They did not get revenge...until the next year into perpetuity (so far).
    The ABC affiliate and later the CBS affiliate in Boise did their road games.

The ABC affiliate in Reno did many of Nevada's road games.

There was also an independent station in Lafayette that later became the Fox affiliate there that did many of the Cajun home and away games for about a decade.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

KFRE did Fresno games

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember those ABC games in the early 70's...I was just a kid in elementary school, but that was (in part) how I fell in love with Louisiana Tech. There we were on NATIONAL TV...that was my school...my dad's school...OUR school!

To just willy-nilly decide to throw stuff in a dumpster makes me sick to my stomach. I hadn't heard this story about Karl Terrebonne, but thank the good Lord for him and his quick action.

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    KFRE did Fresno games
    One more for the list. K5 - KFVE in Honolulu - did Hawaii games.

Varsity Bulldog jharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the rough

We were 2-3 at the time. The thinking was that Boise would struggle with the heat.

And they did in a big way.
    It worked out then, but generally, most of the teams we play at home are used to such heat, erasing the advantage. I still think day games before October is not good for attendance.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jharris View Post
    I still think day games before October is not good for attendance.
    The above is not an opinion, but a proven fact based on many years of examples.

Doesn't really matter. It's all about TV and the chump change we get from our TV ( Streaming) contracts.

Fans only matter this time of year when season tickets are being sold.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

i remember this game for several reasons.
    1) i only saw the first half in my mind's eye as described by dave nitz because i had milking duty at Tech dairy that weekend.
    2) after i got cleaned up and came to aillet for the second half, texastina had a press pass to get me into the west side (she was working the press box for the sports information office). that was the first and only game i saw from the west side as a student.
    3) i remember boise was supposed to be pretty good, but all i knew about them was that we had never lost to them, and they had blue turf. turns out it was probably our only quality win that season.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

just watching the first half of this game for the first time. check out the block by the defensive back on this play:
    https://youtu.be/aGzrCyGS594?t=2430

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    just watching the first half of this game for the first time. check out the block by the defensive back on this play:
    https://youtu.be/aGzrCyGS594?t=2430
    That would be a 15 yard "you are not nice for hitting so hard" penalty today.

Varsity Bulldog jharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    The above is not an opinion, but a proven fact based on many years of examples.

Doesn't really matter. It's all about TV and the chump change we get from our TV ( Streaming) contracts.

Fans only matter this time of year when season tickets are being sold.
    Right, and I think that's unfortunate and to the detriment of the program's fan base. I suspect a lot of G5 programs work that way, sacrificing a robust fan tradition for the short-term of TV revenues, which (as you point out) aren't that great.

Though actually, on that day, the TV coverage was from a local Boise station.

Speaking of, I've often thought Tech would do better in the long run to focus on building the local fan base and attendance. I've often thought Tech could, without too much extra effort, offer its own streaming of the game. They've already got the color commentary and cameras.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Tech reaching out was after Karl made public what he had to do to save those pics and all that film. The trashing of all that history was the work of a handful of people.
    Who? I've simply got to know who in our athletic department was THAT stupid??

+ Reply to Thread