+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What will it take to drive game attendance up?

Varsity Bulldog thewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Re: What will it take to drive game attendance up?

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    25 juniors and seniors in my appraisal class this quarter. None of them knows who Landry Lyddy is and none of them saw the game Saturday.
    And very few of the MBA students I talked with this week at Arkansas watched the BYU game (or the Alabama-Tennessee game)

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THEarmada View Post
    Yea. TV timeouts kill the energy.
    Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Absolutely. And to everyone's point, Saturday's game against Rice lasted more than 4 hours. It was so long I didn't think it would ever end.
    I had to chuckle at the TV timeout comments.

As i continue my 4-year sabbatical tour of D2 ball in Oklahoma and Arkansas, I remembered our game a couple of weeks ago.

Kickoff at 2 pm. Final horn: 4:26 pm. Game 2 hours, 26 minutes. The were only one-minute media timeouts (not nearly 5 minutes) and no video replay review timeouts. Yes one team ran the flexbone to perfection for more than 40 points, but some entertaining big plays.

Our party of 12 was seated in plenty of time for our 6:30 pm dinner reservation.

Oh, and a comment on the ticketing system. Most all are touchless, online systems, but very few problems since our crowds are in the couple of thousand category.

But best thing I've seen so far is one of the stadia at the end of one of the Indian Turnpikes in Oklahoma.
    We drive up to the guy seated in the folding chair at the chain link fence entrance gate
    us: "How much?"
    Him: "$15"
    Us: "For parking? Where do we buy tickets?"
    Him: "That's $15 for your parking and two tickets."
    Ok!
    Interesting view though was the home fans mainly did not sit in the grandstand. The university had built a four-level terraced grass endzone where the fans could back into their spots and watch the game from the terrace.
    How cool and unique!
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

25 juniors and seniors in my appraisal class this quarter. None of them knows who Landry Lyddy is and none of them saw the game Saturday.
    I told ya'll when the student vote for athletic fees failed to pass last spring, Louisiana Tech is recruiting the wrong kind of students today. I wasn't kidding. Most of the kids we have on campus now will never give anything back to Louisiana Tech. Most attend school on grants anyway and don't pay heir own way, so it's not "personal" to them. They have no investment in Louisiana Tech University and likely never will.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

I'm sure the fanatic (and BB&B follower) you are, you gave your fellow students a 15-second tutorial on a "local classmate" and told them to be at the next game to air out the mush in their unappraised noggins. They can bring their phones. Everyone else does.

I told ya'll when the student vote for athletic fees failed to pass last spring, Louisiana Tech is recruiting the wrong kind of students today. I wasn't kidding. Most of the kids we have on campus now will never give anything back to Louisiana Tech. Most attend school on grants anyway and don't pay heir own way, so it's not "personal" to them. They have no investment in Louisiana Tech University and never will.
    I lectured at a Harding photography class last week which included a load of Tech action photos. One was a old, fuzzy pic of a pig-tailed girl dribbing a basketball.
    "Anybody know who this girl would be?"
    None of the 45 answered to my non-surprise.
    "How many of you have heard of Kim Mulkey?"
    One lone head nodded.
    "Oh," the student said as she nodded.
    The pix of Bradshaw drew a little more interest. But not much.
    So today's students . . . .

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    I lectured at a Harding photography class last week which included a load of Tech action photos. One was a old, fuzzy pic of a pig-tailed girl dribbing a basketball.
    One lone head nodded.
    Wow. That's a mic drop moment.

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

Yeah if it’s not watching someone on YouTube playing and commenting on playing a video game then the youth of today don’t seem to be interested. If they’re so uningaged that they’d rather veg out and watch someone play a video game than actually play the game themselves then they’re sure not investing themselves in getting up and going to a game. It’s not too much unlike all the hiring signs in Ruston and everywhere else. The younger people of today are simply too lazy and self centered to participate in a person-to-person society.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure the fanatic (and BB&B follower) you are, you gave your fellow students a 15-second tutorial on a "local classmate" and told them to be at the next game to air out the mush in their unappraised noggins. They can bring their phones. Everyone else does.
    I’m the professor. They don’t care what I say.

I’m the professor. They don’t care what I say.
    ever give bonus points if the go to game and give you an appraisal of the situation.
    How about bonus points, period?
    Or do we not do that anymore?

Varsity Bulldog thewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

One lone head nodded.
    I mean I went to Tech and was involved in the athletic department for years, and I'd be hard pressed to identify a photo of Kim Mulkey the player. She played in the early 80's... let's give the kids a break

I told ya'll when the student vote for athletic fees failed to pass last spring, Louisiana Tech is recruiting the wrong kind of students today. I wasn't kidding. Most of the kids we have on campus now will never give anything back to Louisiana Tech. Most attend school on grants anyway and don't pay heir own way, so it's not "personal" to them. They have no investment in Louisiana Tech University and likely never will.
    Maybe we shouldn't judge students based on how they voted on an additional fee being charged to them...

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thewyldman View Post
    Maybe we shouldn't judge students based on how they voted on an additional fee being charged to them...
    Wow! The fee was miniscule. Tech academia killed it. The students who are looking for tickets to lsu games voted it down, not the few who actually attend Tech games.

Quote Originally Posted by thewyldman View Post
    So, why, tell me again, why you're on a fan board?

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I have not read the other comments on this thread, so I may be repeating. The recipe for driving attendance up is always the same - have a winning team and stop the students from leaving at half-time. We are failing at both right now. I am unsure of the answer to keeping the students in the stands after the half, but the first point is part of it and we need to add some type of incentives that they would value. One more "have to" for attendance is getting "name recognized opponents" to come to Tech. They don't have to be top 20 opponents, but they must have the name and, preferably P5, which is hard to do.

Bulldog jycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the ears

My kids were born in 86 and 89. They both attended Texas A&M. I seem to remember something that the athletic dept did at A&M which was highly successful. While I may not get all of the details exactly correct (going from memory), hopefully you will get the gist. Each student was given some sort of athletic card at the start of the semester. There were places for each athletic team and as you attended a sporting event, (basketball (men and women), football, soccer, swimming and diving, etc.) you would get the card punched. At the end of the semester, kids turned in their cards with all holes punched and they were entered into contest drawings (I believe) for some awesome prizes, etc. I believe they would get the punches at different times in the games (to try and keep kids in the stands for some of the lesser known sports), and the overall goal was achieved more that just once. My kids found that they loved the atmosphere at the women's soccer games and started going to the games just for the fun of it. Interesting idea, but maybe something like that "could" make a difference. Just an idea.

+ Reply to Thread