+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 10th Member: Kennesaw State

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: 10th Member: Kennesaw State

This article was mentioned today, but you have to be a subscriber to access it.

Inside Conference USA’s future: Amid realignment, has league found stability? - The Athletic

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    So, according to you, CUSA should just add Kennesaw St for "convenience" scheduling purposes? Never mind whether they actually deserve an invite or not. SCHEDULING IS JUST TOO HARD, according to you?

No, it looks like I had the point nailed perfectly. It's all about making the scheduling easier. Why you would open your post with the stupid statement "you missed the point completely", is truly astounding.

You must be wearing a blindfold to read because you missed my point for a second time.

I never said Kennesaw State is the best option. But a 10th member is a better option than standing at 9. There are many reasons why an even number is always better than an odd number.

How many FBS conferences have an odd number of teams right now? Two, AAC and C-USA. How many FBS conferences will have an odd number of teams next year? One. C-USA. Get the picture?

Trying to minimize costs and maximize revenues makes it easier for conference members. That and making things as easy for student-athletes as possible is the only easy I am referring to.

4 2-game basketball flying road trips for both men's and women's basketball with a bus ride to Huntsville would basically be a wash to having either 2 or 3 2-game flying road trips, 1 or 3 1-game flying road trips, and the bus ride to Huntsville. And how about playing conference home games over Christmas break or just as bad in mid-December? Those are great (not!) for attendance. Another school like Jarvis Christian being added OOC does not help either.

And watch out, the pay article link I posted above even discusses moving to 12 teams. If those other two schools were Missouri State and Chattanooga, I could live with it. Otherwise adding only Kennesaw may be the lesser evil.

There's too much smoke in the air to think that Kennesaw won't be joining for 2024-2025.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I really hate this move, and it's hard to understand why Tech would support it.
    Hopefully somehow it gets us more money in our next media deal, because it looks pretty likely.

I'm still holding out hope that the GA board of regents votes it down, but I doubt they'd have put it on the agenda if they didn't think it could pass.
    did dr. wood respond to your tweet?

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    a 10th member is a better option than standing at 9. There are many reasons why an even number is always better than an odd number.

How many FBS conferences have an odd number of teams right now? Two, AAC and C-USA. How many FBS conferences will have an odd number of teams next year? One. C-USA. Get the picture?

Trying to minimize costs and maximize revenues makes it easier for conference members. That and making things as easy for student-athletes as possible is the only easy I am referring to.
    I think 9 is much better than 10 (in a vacuum) but specifically I'd say that CUSA is not in the same position as any of the other FBS conferences. Obviously the P5 are apples to oranges and a sample size of 4 doesn't tell you much (two with 12 and two with 14, so it's not like there is a standard "this is the best amount of teams"). It's always going to be circumstantial. I wouldn't be complaining (as much) if we were adding Notre Dame.

A basketball trip to UTA/UALR/SFA/ASU/ULL/ULM/Tulane/USM/UNT is better than one to Atlanta.

And round robin is better for football (not for $ reasons although that probably washes out more or less since you don't get "real" divisions with just 10). And adding a team that isn't good at football or basketball isn't helpful at all. Our strength was going to be basketball, and now we're adding an anchor there (they've been good at FCS football over a short span, but still won't help our average conference strength).

I agree that it's probably a done deal and I saw that they're pretty strongly considering 12 (but thankfully not 14). My issue with 12 is that there aren't 3 decent options (or you could say there aren't 2 more options if you're assuming the boneheaded addition of KSU).

You also have to divide your limited conference money farther, which is only off-set if you're getting 1.1111 for a tenth member (and so on for 11 and 12). It's entirely possible that this is somehow the case (heck, it sure better be) but if so that's a little surprising (who is on the edge of their seat to watch KSU play FIU?).

And finally, if they add Missouri State and UT-C that doesn't give Tech a very good division, does it? I guess we could push for pods or something (but how would that even work with that set of teams?).

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    did dr. wood respond to your tweet?
    I'll give you three guesses.

I don't actually blame him - what's he going to say? I'd assume all the other CUSA admins can't talk about it yet until it's official, and no matter what you'd probably have to put a good spin on it once it's a done deal. Maybe one of our well-connected posters can get a candid answer in person some day. I really don't see how the pros can remotely approach the cons on this, but if the guys who see the numbers can say "the tv deal is sooooo much better with them" or something, I guess that would be the reasoning.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    Brown notes that Tarleton has not been shy about expressing interest in a move to FBS, but C-USA is not as interested in the Texans right now.

Brown noted that SFA does not prefer to transition to FBS at this time due to costs and infrastructure requirements. I can confirm that SFA does not currently desire to transition to FBS.

Ju
    dy please channel a little Nancy Reagan and JUST SAY NO!!!
    I've heard the name "Tarleton" being thrown around. Are they a candidate because some folks will throw crazy money for their move to FBS? I never heard of the school until CUSA got raided. Missouri State and Chattanooga has more name recognition. Shoot, Abilene Christian has better facilities than Tarleton.

Abilene Christian

Tarleton (*baseball just rendering of new grandstands)

Tarrleton State is the way to go if CUSA decides to offer rodeo as a sport. I think NMSU offers has a team, too.

I don't think they're even all the way FCS yet. But people really like to imagine them in CUSA for some reason.

Champ Lotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    I've heard the name "Tarleton" being thrown around. Are they a candidate because some folks will throw crazy money for their move to FBS? I never heard of the school until CUSA got raided. Missouri State and Chattanooga has more name recognition. Shoot, Abilene Christian has better facilities than Tarleton.

Abilene Christian

Tarleton (*baseball just rendering of new grandstands)

Moody Coliseum (ACU's Basketball arena) is actually pretty nice. Wildcat Stadium is relatively new and nice but is way to small for the likes of FBS. I don't think it even seat 15,000. ACU all in all has good enrollment but the campus is small compared to others,

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lotsudo View Post
    Moody Coliseum (ACU's Basketball arena) is actually pretty nice. Wildcat Stadium is relatively new and nice but is way to small for the likes of FBS. I don't think it even seat 15,000. ACU all in all has good enrollment but the campus is small compared to others,
    ACU football capacity is 3k less than Tarleton, but is definitely expandable beyond that in the future. Basketball-wise ACU facility is way way better than Tarleton's HS gym.

I've step foot on Tarleton's campus once. It is small and so is the town of 20k.

Overall, we need out of this conference and be realigned back with some of our former conference-mates.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

I don't know if this account really knows anything but...
    Sidelines Sports Network™
    @Sidelines_SN

Kennesaw State received approval from their BOR today to pursue CUSA membership. With CUSA approaching 10 teams, rumors persist the conf. is looking to add 2 more. Top candidates appear to be SFA, Tarleton, EKU, MO State, & UCA. SFA looks like a lock, #12 likely MO State

Sidelines - Conference USA and 8 others

2:14 PM · Oct 12, 2022·Twitter Web App

*sigh*

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Soon we will be the only FBS program left.

Woohoo SFA!!! Greek letters

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Rodeo is Much Greater than freekin' WBB.

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

There definitely seems to be a sense of the pied piper in all of this. CUSA appears to be a waste land of lost teams looking to stabilize their existence on fledgling schools rather than solid schools… only something the worst conference would do.

Over the top, I know but you get the point
    https://youtu.be/7WXTKM6xZ94

+ Reply to Thread